Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlimited 5%MS.. How hard to hit it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Unlimited 5%MS.. How hard to hit it?

Lets say I have found a store and credit card that allows me to purchase vgc's and get 5% back with no cap.

The only problem is that the store is not part of a chain and there is literally only one store where I can make this work. Currently, they have plenty of vgc's in stock and I have had no problems buying a card or two every couple of days.

This store is very small,(only one cashier and usually nobody or maybe just one or two customers in the store at any time). I obviously don't want to hammer this store too hard and make them change policy to cash/debit only if I can slowly milk it in perpetuity.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll just purchase 1k per week and hope that this loop last me years. Do you guys think I should hit it harder and risk store shutdown, or slower to preserve the loop?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by rburrel
Lets say I have found a store and credit card that allows me to purchase vgc's and get 5% back with no cap.

The only problem is that the store is not part of a chain and there is literally only one store where I can make this work. Currently, they have plenty of vgc's in stock and I have had no problems buying a card or two every couple of days.

This store is very small,(only one cashier and usually nobody or maybe just one or two customers in the store at any time). I obviously don't want to hammer this store too hard and make them change policy to cash/debit only if I can slowly milk it in perpetuity.

Right now, I'm thinking I'll just purchase 1k per week and hope that this loop last me years. Do you guys think I should hit it harder and risk store shutdown, or slower to preserve the loop?
Start small and slow - get to know the cashier or owner with small talk over a few weeks until they know you're an established regular and then start increasing volume. Don't try and hide anything, if he asks tell him what you're doing...I'm assuming he's not losing money by selling them to you so as long as you're well liked and not suspicious there should be no reason why they wouldn't allow higher volume

Last edited by SoloExperiment; Nov 11, 2016 at 5:04 am
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM
how many PMs did you get today?
Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by SoloExperiment
Start small and slow - get to know the cashier or owner with small talk over a few weeks until they know you're an established regular and then start increasing volume. Don't try and hide anything, if he asks tell him what you're doing...I'm assuming he's not losing money by selling them to you so as long as your well liked and not suspicious there should be no reason why they wouldn't allow higher volume
Good advice. Also, buy other stuff while you are there too. They probably don't make much (any?) money of the VGCs. If that is all you buy then you aren't doing much for their bottom line. At least buy drinks or snacks each time too.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DeaconY
They probably don't make much (any?) money of the VGCs.
This is my thought too. Pretty much the minimum transaction cost for a grocery store is 1.65% (per Visa's published info) so if you buy a $500 VGC it's likely costing them ~$8, which is more than the VGC purchase fee and that's assuming they get all of the purchase fee.

My guess is that most grocery stores assume they will sell enough low dollar amount gift cards to make a profit on gift cards, on the whole.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is my thought too. Pretty much the minimum transaction cost for a grocery store is 1.65% (per Visa's published info) so if you buy a $500 VGC it's likely costing them ~$8, which is more than the VGC purchase fee and that's assuming they get all of the purchase fee.

My guess is that most grocery stores assume they will sell enough low dollar amount gift cards to make a profit on gift cards, on the whole.
Exactly this! I have an ACE hardware store in my area that sold $500 VGCs up until early this year. I would max out my 5% category spend on those VGCs my CCs when home improvement stores where a quarterly category. When they disappeared I inquired as to why and was told by the manager they were losing money on them due to processing fees. It's likely the same for most smaller independent stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.