Wiki Posts
Search

Amazon Gift Card Reloading - M$ Newbie

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Amazon Gift Card Reloading - M$ Newbie

Hi all,

New the the forum and manufactured spending.

I tried to do a search but it didn't yield much about what I was looking for. I just got the Chase Sapphire Reserved and Amex Delta Skymiles card a week ago. I'm looking for a way to meet the $4,000 and $2,000 thresholds of spending to get my rewards, respectively.

On Amazon, I have a digital gift card (for my use) or gift card balance which is $0. Can I use these cards to reload that balance and should that count towards my total spend? Will the credit card companies know that i'm doing this and not count it?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! ^
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Sorry that I didn't clarify. I intend to spend this money myself but just over a longer period of time than the signup. It doesn't bother me to float this amount of money. Also, same question when using my cards via paypal to buy gift cards that I myself can use on my own timetable (preferably ones that never expire or have charges assessed to them).
Old Oct 28, 2016, 2:21 pm

That works like a regular purchase. It would be a charge to Amazon. So yes, if you need to charge something, that is a way to do it without keeping track of a physical gift card.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: United Silver
Yep that is a perfectly fine way of meeting spend.

Keep in mind you will only earn 1pt per dollar though.

Does the United MPX app work with CSR and count as an airline purchase? I'm sure someone has tried this.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by thebob6
Does the United MPX app work with CSR and count as an airline purchase? I'm sure someone has tried this.
The data points I've seen are that CSR treats it as the category of the underlying gift card, e.g., buy a restaurant gift card through MPX, and CSR will treat it as dining.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:17 am

It wouldn't count as an airline purchase, but if OP is planning to buy Amazon GCs anyways, might as well use MPX to get some bonus UA miles for the purchase.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the replies!

Hmm I've never looked at United's Mileage Plus app. I just did a quick google search and read about it a bit. Is this an app worth getting? I don't have a United credit card though. Is it worth it on it's own ? What are the benefits?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by DariusFa
Thank you very much for the replies!

Hmm I've never looked at United's Mileage Plus app. I just did a quick google search and read about it a bit. Is this an app worth getting? I don't have a United credit card though. Is it worth it on it's own ? What are the benefits?
You'll definitely get a bonus having a M+ card saved to the profile (25%) but I suppose the app can be rewarding without it as the double and/or triple dipping will be the primary reason for using it.

The benefits are extra United miles for purchases that you'd be making anyway with the listed retailers. It can be burdensome to use at a place where lines tend to back up while one buys the gift card but, for the most part, it is hassle-free.

If you don't fly UA, the value may not be there but otherwise I don't see a downside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.