Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
The only problem is they are still good on eBay, just not for gift cards.
This is true, but imagine if you purchased a Taco Bell gift card that was good for everything at Taco Bell, and then two days later they changed the terms saying you could only purchase hard shell tacos, and no burritos.

As a person who planned on using the card to buy soft shelled burritos, and has a corn allergy, the cards are now worthless to you. The company changed their terms to forbid the use you had reasonable expected. While they may have some way to claim they were allowed to do this, it's still not reasonable or conscionable, and should be fought against.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:26 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by CWAL
This is true, but imagine if you purchased a Taco Bell gift card that was good for everything at Taco Bell, and then two days later they changed the terms saying you could only purchase hard shell tacos, and no burritos.
Yes, but what if the Taco Bell card said "items you may purchase using this card may change at any time"?

I haven't seen eBay's T&C, but I presume there is a clause saying they can change the terms at any time, and IANAL but I don't know of any law making that illegal if it's clearly stated in the terms.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
I haven't seen eBay's T&C, but I presume there is a clause saying they can change the terms at any time, and IANAL but I don't know of any law making that illegal if it's clearly stated in the terms.
A valid agreement must have clearly defined terms. In this country, all private contracts are also voluntary. Only a government can force an obligation (tax) onto an unwilling subject.
Of course, template user agreements do not remain unchanged forever. But it does not mean that one party to an agreement can implose a change by force. You can write anything you want into a contract, put it on your front lawn, or tattoo on your forehead, but it will not override the fundamental principles of voluntary contracts.
Most private service providers have a process by which they present proposed changes, and specify what would constitute acceptance or rejection of a modified agreement. Ebay has not done that, and practically concealed the switch of the old GC's with the inferior ones.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Originally Posted by MaxVO
You can write anything you want into a contract, put it on your front lawn, or tattoo on your forehead, but it will not override the fundamental principles of voluntary contracts.
Most private service providers have a process by which they present proposed changes, and specify what would constitute acceptance or rejection of a modified agreement. Ebay has not done that, and practically concealed the switch of the old GC's with the inferior ones.
This is essentially what I was trying to get at, but in more specific terms. While they can put such a statement ("Terms may change at any time, and we may come to your house and eat your children too") in their terms, that doesn't make it necessarily reasonable, moral, or in fact enforceable.

It still stands to reason that the method of getting refunds for HIGC can be taken:

"I purchased the card and then read the terms and conditions. I do not agree to them. Please refund me my money."
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:07 pm

Some people on reddit have gotten calls from eBay stating they will allow the purchase of 3rd party gift cards with eBay gift cards again from 9/13-10/13. After that they will go back to restricting gift card purchases again.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:28 pm

Is there anyone here from California, who can test whether the alleged eBay grace period is in effect there? It's definitely not working elsewhere today (9/13).
Old Sep 13, 2016, 6:34 pm

I'm in CA (both my ebay address on file & IP address) and I wasn't able to buy gift cards using ebay gift cards ~11am today.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 10:38 pm

THEY LIED!
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:14 am

To be accurate, eBay did not really make an official announcement of the grace period. But I do believe that they deliberately started the rumor. It's beginning to sound like information warfare on the customers.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:19 am

Its working now, I was able to grab some 3rd party GCs and pay with a eBay GC.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:11 am

Just worked for me also.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:08 am

Worked for me also along with targeted 10% back ebay bucks.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mhdena
The only problem is they are still good on eBay, just not for gift cards.
Used a $500 eBay card today along with my 10x eBay Bucks.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 11:13 am

I was able to use ebay gc this morning to purchase other gc. FYI, the $2K in 60 days limit is still in place.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:37 pm

Hmmm... On my top rated seller account I have an offer than gives me 6% in eBay bucks for sales. My dog's account has an offer for 10% for purchases... So tempting to have my dog buy something from me to liquidate a few gift cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.