Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Reply

Old Aug 22, 16, 7:22 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 9
eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Has anybody else tried purchasing a 3rd party GC on eBay with an eBay GC? I tried purchasing 3x BP cards from SVM and when I put in my eBay GC code I get "This code can't be applied to some of your items."

Looking at the eBay giftcard FAQ it says this (emphasis mine):
An eBay gift card may not be used to purchase eBay gift cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots). If you have any of these items in your cart when you're checking out, a gift card cannot be applied.
I know they stopped letting you roll eBay GC into eBay GC back in April but is this new? Is it just a glitch for me? If so it breaks GC arbitrage for me from all sellers but Paypal Digital Gifts.
cataphoresis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 7:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by cataphoresis View Post
Has anybody else tried purchasing a 3rd party GC on eBay with an eBay GC? I tried purchasing 3x BP cards from SVM and when I put in my eBay GC code I get "This code can't be applied to some of your items."

Looking at the eBay giftcard FAQ it says this (emphasis mine):
An eBay gift card may not be used to purchase eBay gift cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots). If you have any of these items in your cart when you're checking out, a gift card cannot be applied.
I know they stopped letting you roll eBay GC into eBay GC back in April but is this new? Is it just a glitch for me? If so it breaks GC arbitrage for me from all sellers but Paypal Digital Gifts.
Hmm, did you hit the 2k/60 day limit?
fumnibbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 7:33 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 9
Per my records just shy of 1100 in the last 2 months. That shouldn't trigger it, should it?
cataphoresis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 8:17 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,054
When did you try this?
I bought staples gc from their paypal digital store yesterday with eBay gc without issue.
kaiotes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 8:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: CMH
Posts: 477
Yup, just tried it and same error. Damnit! This was a regular buy for me..
canyoncar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,054
oh ...., i cant buy it either now
kaiotes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:20 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,054
Attached is a Cached version of their FAQ dated 8/13/16.
Can only attached jpg due to pdf size restrictions.

They sneaked this in without any notice!
Attached Images  
kaiotes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:39 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 132
Well this is really not good. I had about 3500 in eBay cards a couple of weeks ago, luckily we got the 10%, 8%, and 6% in the last few weeks and I was able to dump almost all of them.
fumnibbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:46 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 132
Okay guys, I checked the T&C as well, since the FAQ can be incomplete. Yeah... as of Aug 13 there was no mention of third party gift cards not being able to be purchased with an eBay gift card. Now, there is though. We're screwed I guess...


http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...onditions.html


versus...


http://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/terms_conditions.html
fumnibbler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 16, 9:57 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: ONT
Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Posts: 432
Although generally most hate the concept of class action lawsuits this is a classic case where you are fundamentally changing the terms of the game without any notice. As it stands you could cash out for 87% fairly easily by selling a fake product, if you really needed the money (10% eBay tax + 2.9% Paypal tax) but this is still very annoying.
calwatch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 2:00 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,553
Originally Posted by calwatch View Post
Although generally most hate the concept of class action lawsuits this is a classic case where you are fundamentally changing the terms of the game without any notice.
This change is substantial enough to be definitely illegal, not just annoying.
Gift cards are essentially contracts that obligate both eBay and buyers to the T&C at the time of sale. If eBay wants to back out of their terms, the buyer should be able to undo the sale.
MaxVO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 4:07 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Madison,Wi.
Posts: 19
I purchased $250 in CVS giftcards fron SVM yesterday. I used $200 in Ebay gift cards. Don't know if paying rest of balance with Paypal made a difference. Where you logged into Paypal when you tried redeeming?
Frozentoes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 6:52 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 178
Originally Posted by Frozentoes View Post
I purchased $250 in CVS giftcards fron SVM yesterday. I used $200 in Ebay gift cards. Don't know if paying rest of balance with Paypal made a difference. Where you logged into Paypal when you tried redeeming?
I just tried to buy a discounted BP gift card and a discounted CVS gift card with a $43.70 of eBay gift card credit. It would not allow me to apply the gift card to the order at the check out page.
ENOTTY is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 7:12 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by MaxVO View Post
This change is substantial enough to be definitely illegal, not just annoying.
Gift cards are essentially contracts that obligate both eBay and buyers to the T&C at the time of sale. If eBay wants to back out of their terms, the buyer should be able to undo the sale.
I doubt if it's legal for them to apply the new terms retrospectively to ebay gift cards sold before. I purchased my ebay gift cards directly from ebay. I would file a credit card dispute if ebay doesn't let me undo the sale.
walkingingotham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 16, 7:30 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 427
The past 12 months collectively have been absolutely brutal for MS.
bigugly is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread