Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 3:36 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by kpe
BBAmex or MO? MC or regular terminal? Thanks.
Visa BB at MC. Not a single cashier at any of my 5+ nearby stores is willing to do a load at regular register.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:28 pm
kpe

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Visa BB at MC. Not a single cashier at any of my 5+ nearby stores is willing to do a load at regular register.
Thanks. I should consider myself lucky. My Wally still allows BB load at the regular terminals, but very few people know it. So I have to time my trip per their schedule. So things are not easy, but still works for now.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by kpe
Thanks. I should consider myself lucky. My Wally still allows BB load at the regular terminals, but very few people know it. So I have to time my trip per their schedule. So things are not easy, but still works for now.
Fortunately, in the WMs that allow cashiers and or have self serve kiosks with an attendant, I have not had trouble loading any of my cards. However, I never do more than a single swipe of a GC and almost never do more than $200 at a time.
I also try very hard not to use the same WM more than twice a week.
The cashiers all know me, but I figure that they just consider me a regular since the amounts and frequency of use do not really exceed what an ordinary customer would be doing.''

No whales in my neck of the sea, only us minnows.
littlewinglet likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:42 pm
kpe

Originally Posted by radonc1
Fortunately, in the WMs that allow cashiers and or have self serve kiosks with an attendant, I have not had trouble loading any of my cards. However, I never do more than a single swipe of a GC and almost never do more than $200 at a time.
I also try very hard not to use the same WM more than twice a week.
The cashiers all know me, but I figure that they just consider me a regular since the amounts and frequency of use do not really exceed what an ordinary customer would be doing.''

No whales in my neck of the sea, only us minnows.
I never do more than one swipe either. But I do squeeze 3 to 5 transactions per visit. I am there a few times a month so I mostly pass off as regular customer.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:32 pm
kpe

All good with MBVGC-->BBAMEX full amt one swipe at regular cashier terminal.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:57 am

So I used to be a huge MSpender back in the day vanilla reloads, but then the game got more difficult. I did have a BlueBird at one point when the gravy train was still running - but I think I got closed... Tried digging through my sock drawer and couldn't find, so that's my assumption lol. Any luck or data points on re-opening a new BB or Serve account in 2022?
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Wakinguptooearly
So I used to be a huge MSpender back in the day vanilla reloads, but then the game got more difficult. I did have a BlueBird at one point when the gravy train was still running - but I think I got closed... Tried digging through my sock drawer and couldn't find, so that's my assumption lol. Any luck or data points on re-opening a new BB or Serve account in 2022?
Go on-line, fill out the BB form and see if your application is approved or denied. It will take you 5 minutes to find out.
Let us know if you succeed.
Good luck.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:06 pm

In our area WM is very touchy and paranoid even around blue card loads. Short of finding someone who has been at the register a long time and comfortable, you wait in lines only to be told to go the money center where the loads are restricted to $99. Then you have DG, FD and such stores who insist on the $4.95 load fees.

Was out of town recently and hit some WM and people were super friendly and welcoming of BB. Even in that situation one needs to keep the load amounts low, multiple swipes, multiple cashiers and it is a grind....and now cost of fuel. Curious about other avenues that are more armchair friendly...dm for a chat ok as well.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:14 pm

Perhaps this already come up, but does anyone know if the registers at customer service are coded for the same $99/swipe limit as the money center? Or are they more likely to be unrestricted like the registers at checkout?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by bookemdano
Perhaps this already come up, but does anyone know if the registers at customer service are coded for the same $99/swipe limit as the money center? Or are they more likely to be unrestricted like the registers at checkout?
If you can find a cashier to load your card, then you can use them for more than $99, which is the limitation at the CSC.

The big if is whether you can find a cashier to do the loading without being told to do it at the CSC.

And the limitation applies to Metabank cards, not USB or Sutton bank according to DPs above.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:51 pm

If you can find a cashier to load your card, then you can use them for more than $99, which is the limitation at the CSC.

The big if is whether you can find a cashier to do the loading without being told to do it at the CSC.

And the limitation applies to Metabank cards, not USB or Sutton bank according to DPs above.
Thank you for the reply. At my Walmart, the Money Center and Customer Service are separate areas. I knew from other reports here that Metabank VGCs were limited at the MC and not at the regular checkout registers. I just was curious if the registers at CS were limited like MC or unlimited like at checkout. Logically, I probably should have assumed they were limited or else there would have already been a bunch of talk here about going to CS as an alternative to a checkout line. But had to see for myself, so I tried loading my Bluebird with the full $200 on a MB VGC last night and it did not work. So that settles that!
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:45 pm
kpe

Tried MBVGC from Staples for AmBB load at MC. Worked for full $200 amt in one swipe. Fluke or software change? Ingenico terminal.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by kpe
Tried MBVGC from Staples for AmBB load at MC. Worked for full $200 amt in one swipe. Fluke or software change? Ingenico terminal.
Probably a fluke.
There are numerous DPs where someone used a Meta card (which is what the Staples cards are) at a MC with success only to report soon thereafter that the next time they tried, the load failed.

Try again and let us know if you succeeded a second time for a load of >$99 at a MC or CSC. DPs are always welcome.
kpe likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:44 pm
kpe

Probably a fluke.
There are numerous DPs where someone used a Meta card (which is what the Staples cards are) at a MC with success only to report soon thereafter that the next time they tried, the load failed.

Try again and let us know if you succeeded a second time for a load of >$99 at a MC or CSC. DPs are always welcome.
Will report back next week when I try again. Thank you.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:55 am

Just catching up on this thread (and new to the forum).

I have been liquiding VGC's at DG's with aroud 50% success rate. I have a BB and Serve so thought WM would be an easy option as there is one nearby. Went last week, loaded $200 and CSC no problem. Went back last night, first swipe at CSC onto BB for $200 was successful, subsequent swipes tender denied on both serve and BB. Went back this morning, same deal.

I didn't realize CSC was limited at $99 and if so, why did it allow it to go through once last week and once this week (Serve and BB). I'll try again and go through a checkout line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.