Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the 2016 and onwards Bluebird thread.

The original discussion. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread. The previous 2015 megathread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read the wiki before posting a question.

The most recent huge wave of shutdowns occurred in May 2019.

Most accounts used for MS were shut down on Jan 8, 2016. Another wave of shutdowns occurred on March 4, 2016. Using Bluebird for MS is very likely to lead to account closure. There is no clear pattern as to how to avoid the account shut-downs. Some of the dormant accounts were not shut down.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

For information on switching from BB to Serve, see the Serve thread wiki.

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • Cash loading: $2,500 ($1,999.99 at Walmart) per card per day; $9,000 per day all BB cards combined; $5,000 total per calendar month each card; $10,000 calendar month and $100,000 per year all BB cards combined for each SSN.
  • Direct Deposit: $100,000 per year
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Mobile Check Capture by Ingo® Money - $5,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

The cash load limit for a temp card is $1,500 total.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

Print Wikipost

Bluebird master thread (2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
New prepaid Amex debit

Tried all yesterday to sign up, different browsers, with and w/o VPN, clearing the cache, even called CS, to no avail.
I'd either get the "This is embarrassing, technical issue" message or the "Sorry you were rejected" message.
CS said it maybe because of the way my name is registered with SS, so I tried lower case, upper case, with middle initial, full middle name, w/o middle name, middle initial with 'period', w/o etc. The application only asked me for address and SS #, no drivers license or anything else.
I figure I'll go down to Walmart now and buy one of the rack for the fee and then see how I go.
My credit is fine, I'm under 5/24 if that matters; does anyone have any experiences like this?
Thanks
Old May 20, 2022, 8:33 pm

Well to follow-up and answer my own question, I went to WM and bought a card, loaded up $20. Still couldn't register and called them up, got on to the Supervisor. After much fluffing around all they could say was that there is a problem verifying my identity and perhaps that stems from past card accounts. (I've never had a Bluebird, Serve or other Amex card before). So pretty frustrating really.
Old May 22, 2022, 6:47 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by LittleBird
Well to follow-up and answer my own question, I went to WM and bought a card, loaded up $20. Still couldn't register and called them up, got on to the Supervisor. After much fluffing around all they could say was that there is a problem verifying my identity and perhaps that stems from past card accounts. (I've never had a Bluebird, Serve or other Amex card before). So pretty frustrating really.
Have you thought that maybe you were hacked and someone else used your ID?

You may want to follow up on this and find out exactly why you are unable to verify your ID. It isn't hard to do so. You just upload your ID (DL) and proof or domicile (utility bill, etc.) to prove that you live in your current house/apt.

I would recommend escalating until you find out exactly why they cannot verify who you are.
Old May 22, 2022, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by bargainhunter3
Went to load 1k on my amex today. First swipe went through 2nd swipe cancelled the entire tranx. Had to do 2x 500 and that went through fine. Anyone on the amex side notice the limit is now $500 per swipe similar to Visa?
Simon VGC? I thought those were basically dead at this point
Old May 23, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
Have you thought that maybe you were hacked and someone else used your ID?

You may want to follow up on this and find out exactly why you are unable to verify your ID. It isn't hard to do so. You just upload your ID (DL) and proof or domicile (utility bill, etc.) to prove that you live in your current house/apt.

I would recommend escalating until you find out exactly why they cannot verify who you are.
Yeah I've given some thought to the hacking. My credit reports are all good though and nothing unusual is showing. Interestingly I wasn't asked to upload ID in the app and when I spoke to the Supervisor asking about this and whether I could send in some ID he refused. He really couldn't do much more the the 1st tier rep so pretty disappointing all around. So I went and signed up for a Serve card, which seems to use the same application interface, and was successful... Go figure.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by MSerrr
I did changed the password but it still did not go through yesterday. Somebody has mentioned that now USB doesn't like draining all $500 at one time, so I tried $450 today and all 3 cards went through. Might worth trying if anybody has the same problem as me.
I am doing 499 since then & still running in 58 debit not available error since last week continuously. Sometimes 2nd swipe goes fine, sometimes doesn't work at all
Old May 31, 2022, 8:13 am
kpe

Originally Posted by milesjjcc
I am doing 499 since then & still running in 58 debit not available error since last week continuously. Sometimes 2nd swipe goes fine, sometimes doesn't work at all
Error code 58 is Transaction not permitted on terminal. The merchant is not allowed this type of transaction.
Old May 31, 2022, 8:16 am
kpe

All good with MBVGC from Stap to BBAM in full amt per single transaction at regular terminal.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:55 am

Regular MSer, but new to the Staples VGC to BB Amex game. I've been successfully loading MBVGC from Staples at Walmart, until the past week. Getting error code 58 "tender not allowed." I even tried to do a MO for $98 just to test, and it did not go through on two MC registers. However, I was able to load cash at the MC counter. This happened at two different WMs in the NYC suburbs (a notoriously dry MS area).

Anyone else running into the same issues? Cards are registered and PINs are reset. Wondering if the registers recently got recoded. Weird.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:08 pm
kpe

Originally Posted by therunningbaker
Regular MSer, but new to the Staples VGC to BB Amex game. I've been successfully loading MBVGC from Staples at Walmart, until the past week. Getting error code 58 "tender not allowed." I even tried to do a MO for $98 just to test, and it did not go through on two MC registers. However, I was able to load cash at the MC counter. This happened at two different WMs in the NYC suburbs (a notoriously dry MS area).

Anyone else running into the same issues? Cards are registered and PINs are reset. Wondering if the registers recently got recoded. Weird.
My last load MBVGC to BBAm was on May23. $150+. No issues. This was at regular terminal and not MC. Can you try at regular terminal? This is not good news if we get more data points along this line.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:28 pm

Tried a few times at the register at 2 different WMs. My last successful load was 5/26 at the register. Going to try again at a third WM later this week...
Old Jun 8, 2022, 1:54 pm
kpe

Tried a few times at the register at 2 different WMs. My last successful load was 5/26 at the register. Going to try again at a third WM later this week...
Did you try <$99 and >$99 and got the same error? This is not good. Thanks. Ingenico point of sale terminal or a diff one?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
After reading this, I bought a $100 BHN Meta at Whole Foods and loaded the full amount in 1 swipe at WM cashier. BAU for me, YMMV
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:20 am
kpe

Originally Posted by msp3
After reading this, I bought a $100 BHN Meta at Whole Foods and loaded the full amount in 1 swipe at WM cashier. BAU for me, YMMV
Thanks for the DP. Is this VGC similar to MBVGC from Staples (this is where the money is) wrt network and issuing bank?
Old Jun 9, 2022, 12:44 pm
kpe

Another data point from Reddit. "I'm having the same issue. Regularly do single swipes of $195-$199 on $200 MBVGC from Staples to load BB Amex at the WM register--in the past 10 days, I have not been able to load at the register at two different WMs near me. Tested loading cash to ensure I wasn't shut down, and that has been fine.

I'll be trying another WM farther out to see if I encounter the same problem.

I also tried to do a MO for $99 and got denied several times.

Note that there has been no change in POS terminals."

Based on data points so far, it seems the issue started 5/27 onwards. Seems MBVGC game @WM is over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.