Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
account was a month old. days left was like 150 something
How many days after receiving the letter, did shut down occur?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:32 am

Take yer money and run!

I got a May 11th letter on May 16th. Quit MS at receipt of letter, only used card for one $17 gas expense May 17th. Card about 2.5 months old, 12k CL, only cycled it 1-2 times per month. I left my $1,300 in rewards in the account hoping to use on flights in the future. Wrong call. They closed my cc account and rewards balance says 0- all clawed back. I lost almost the entirety of what I had earned with Wells Fargo AND lost my vgc & gas expenses.
Tomorrow I will talk to the same "executive" phone line as above but it sounds here like I should expect squat, no matter how sweet my phone voice is.

Anyone have any tips for me about what to do next (not how I should have hit it harder before...)?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
This question was never answered and is the most important one concerning those who say their card was just shut down after they received the letter. We're assuming they kept pounding the card for rewards despite the letter, but we'd rather not assume.
Used card once for $17 gas spend after received letter. Account closed and Rewards clawed back (prev said 130k rewards, now says 0. Used card between date of letter and receipt. Perhaps 13k spent in those 5 days on 12k CL. I never deposited a MO at Wells Fargo ever. I did tend to payoff my balance in 3-5k increments, at first from WF checking then (after other issues with that) switched to pull from BECU, which took only about 2/3 days unlike what someone else posted above.

If you got the letter- take yer money and run!

Last edited by Lela; Jun 1, 2016 at 1:00 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Lela
I got a May 11th letter on May 16th. Quit MS at receipt of letter, only used card for one $17 gas expense May 17th. Card about 2.5 months old, 12k CL, only cycled it 1-2 times per month. I left my $1,300 in rewards in the account hoping to use on flights in the future. Wrong call. They closed my cc account and rewards balance says 0- all clawed back. I lost almost the entirety of what I had earned with Wells Fargo AND lost my vgc & gas expenses.
Tomorrow I will talk to the same "executive" phone line as above but it sounds here like I should expect squat, no matter how sweet my phone voice is.

Anyone have any tips for me about what to do next (not how I should have hit it harder before...)?
What state are you in?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:52 am

My statement closes on 16th, points redeem on 24th; I'm going to lay low for now, redeem the points and then hit it again for the last one month left.

I'm thinking, I will be risking $200-300 to gain 1-1.5K, with 20-25K per month volume; Anyone thinking along the same line?

Last edited by Gitangali; Jun 1, 2016 at 11:45 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
My statement closes on 16th, points redeem on 24th; I'm going to lay low for now, redeem the points and then hit it again for the last one month left.

I'm thinking, I will be risking $200-300 to gain 1-1.5K; is anyone thinking along the same line?
I will be following the same path

Haven't touched card since received letter. Rewards clear in a little over a week (hopefully). While I won't risk much over $250 or so on VGC fees or gas as I am not optimistic hitting it hard (or at all) will bear much fruit but I don't want to completely ice the card
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali

I'm thinking, I will be risking $200-300 to gain 1-1.5K; is anyone thinking along the same line?
9 days left total. No letter and I am going out with a bang. Very similar risk-reward thinking to what you laid out. It is all house money at this point.

Does anyone know if purchases made on "1 day left" for sure count even if they do not post until a couple days later?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
9 days left total. No letter and I am going out with a bang. Very similar risk-reward thinking to what you laid out. It is all house money at this point.

Does anyone know if purchases made on "1 day left" for sure count even if they do not post until a couple days later?
wow, seems that WF's accts review/ warning were very random... folks that have utilized the rewards for a full 6 mos didn't get the warning while some of new ones, like 1-2 month's, got the axe
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:34 am

Not sure if there is anything to this, but checked WF and on my main page Rewards are showing as unavailable. But, when I click on the unavailable account I can still see the rewards. CC still open, no letter yet.

Message at very top is
Note: Some of your accounts are unavailable at this time.
Could just be a technical website issue but I thought for sure I was canned when I saw it.

EDIT: False alarm. 30 minutes later and its showing properly on main page.

Last edited by cdog999; Jun 1, 2016 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Has anyone received a letter and/or had their points taken back who is past the 6 months, but still with points in their account? I've been saving some for flights, but thinking of cashing out now.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Aristophanes80
Has anyone received a letter and/or had their points taken back who is past the 6 months, but still with points in their account? I've been saving some for flights, but thinking of cashing out now.
Cash out. Now.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CalGuy
What state are you in?
Washington State
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by CalGuy
Has anyone from California had their accounts shut down? Trying to figure if WF is going to follow CA law re: 30 days notice before account closure as AMEX did during OBC shutdowns.
Does anyone know if there is a law similar to this in WA State?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by marktelefono
How many days after receiving the letter, did shut down occur?
For me,

May 11th letter sent
May 16th letter received, quit MS (the warning tone of letter is a hoax)
May 26th, account closed and rewards turned to 0
June 1, called Executive Office, 844-931-2273: No relief at all, no appeal options provided.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 4:28 pm

I wonder if people will have some recourse filing a CFPB complaint under this principle...

You received a warning letter from your bank saying not to do this or we will close your account.... you immediately stop doing said activity... your account gets closed 2 weeks later anyways.

I know they have the right to shut down you at any time, but then why send the warning letter? All that did was put on paper that they lied to and deceived their customer. That would be the argument I would make if my account got shut down.

Furthermore, maybe it would be a good idea to preemptively call the executive office number if you receive the letter, and ask them what they want you to do to keep the account active, (IE, how much or how little would they like you to spend per month?)
And if you follow these guidelines, can they assure you that your account will stay open.

Might be a good idea to record that conversation if you have it as well... just a thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.