Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
$3 is a small price to pay for more MS profits.
Agreed, although I typically do the $10 next day ACH push with BOA. $10 is nothing and you make that back on half of a VGC. So if you're waiting on money (not floating enough) and it keeps you from being able to spend then you're better off paying the fee.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
$3 is a small price to pay for more MS profits.
Protip: A box of checks costs $5
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:30 am

Got approved instantly last week with 10k limit. Prepped WF checking account with a little over 10k to ready it

Got the card Friday. As soon as activated called for CLI

Pleasant lady asked how much I might want. I said 20k. She did something, came back on and her tone was a little down, said that I will get a letter in 7-10 days but that she submitted it. I thanked her and reconciled myself to working with the 10k limit

Look Sunday and I have a 25k limit somehow on my card

In the meantime been working it with (4) different 1000 dollar ish Walgreens charges with no FA spread over 36 hours

things going well so far I guess. Anything else I am missing or should do?
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Got approved instantly last week with 10k limit. Prepped WF checking account with a little over 10k to ready it

Pleasant lady asked how much I might want. I said 20k. She did something, came back on and her tone was a little down, said that I will get a letter in 7-10 days but that she submitted it. I thanked her and reconciled myself to working with the 10k limit

In the meantime been working it with (4) different 1000 dollar ish Walgreens charges with no FA spread over 36 hours

Good start, have fun
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:04 am

Lol thanks. I have read each thread like 3 different times over the last months. Twice over in the last week

I appreciate all of your contributions and data points CWAL
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119

Who did you call for the CLI? I'll be honest, I want to call and ask for an increase, but I would be super worried about them asking about all of my charges (been doing this for a couple of months now). Been cycling CL fairly often. I'm thinking for me it would probably be a bad idea to call and ask.

Last edited by cdog999; Mar 21, 2016 at 9:20 am
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Who did you call for the CLI? I'll be honest, I want to call and ask for an increase, but I would be super worried about them asking about all of my charges (been doing this for a couple of months now). Been cycling CL fairly often. I'm thinking for me it would probably be a bad idea to call and ask.
Got the card, called the number on the sticker to activate it, then flipped it over and called the number on the back of the card
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:57 am

since you can make it work for a couple of months now and IINM you mentioned doing something like $50K to $60K a week? if that's the case, if it was me, I'd think 10x over if I want eyes on my account. just remember pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. it all depends on your risk tolerance so if you get the CLI you want and can push for $100K a week, good for you. HOWEVER, there's also the possibility of a shutdown so might as well prepare for the worst.

weigh it carefully and whatever happens, no one else will benefit (or lose) but you.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
since you can make it work for a couple of months now and IINM you mentioned doing something like $50K to $60K a week? if that's the case, if it was me, I'd think 10x over if I want eyes on my account. just remember pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. it all depends on your risk tolerance so if you get the CLI you want and can push for $100K a week, good for you. HOWEVER, there's also the possibility of a shutdown so might as well prepare for the worst.

weigh it carefully and whatever happens, no one else will benefit (or lose) but you.
This is what I was weighing as well. Honestly doing 100K would be difficult. Don't have enough places to spread the love in terms of getting MOs + depositing. Plus, I've been able to manage my current load with my day job and not pissing off the wife too much. Think I will likely just hold still even though it is tempting seeing someone go from 10K to 25K CL without much effort...
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Once you've already started using it that much it's probably too late to ask for CL increase, from what I've gathered.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:22 pm

This is what I was weighing as well. Honestly doing 100K would be difficult. Don't have enough places to spread the love in terms of getting MOs + depositing. Plus, I've been able to manage my current load with my day job and not pissing off the wife too much. Think I will likely just hold still even though it is tempting seeing someone go from 10K to 25K CL without much effort...
IME, I asked for the CLI right when I activated the card. I aimed for $35K and they gave me a few Ks less than what I asked for, w/o HP so that got me started with doing $5K per day and ramped up every 2 weeks. I got it when RB/BB/S were all flying high so that wasn't too difficult for me to cycle my CL a 'few' times. I also had a substantial amount parked in WF checking to cover for my purchases and kept me going.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:50 pm

Think I will likely just hold still even though it is tempting seeing someone go from 10K to 25K CL without much effort...
Same here, I have got 10K CL, the more is not going to help me. As it is, it is difficult to do high volume without getting noticed etc, unless you live in a big area with at least 4-5 places you can spread the love, then it is no problem. Even if you are able to purchase the VGCs which can be done if you are in the right location, the problem still remains is the liquidation. Depositing so many MOs in a bank and staying in limbo as to who is watching and what might happen.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:56 pm

I got denied for CL increase due to too many recent inquires.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: SW CP, OW Sapphire, AS MVP75k, HH Diamond, HGP Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Looking for tips, if anyone wants to shoot a PM.

I had ramped up to about 20k per week, but dang it's been a rough few months. SW pulled their variable loads, 7-eleven keeps rejecting me, and my local WG will only do 1 card per day. Other than my safe and steady 2k per day drug store (which we all are apparently destroying, as their consistently out of cards), where should I look?

Hoping to cover about 30k per week.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jp18
Looking for tips, if anyone wants to shoot a PM.

I had ramped up to about 20k per week, but dang it's been a rough few months. SW pulled their variable loads, 7-eleven keeps rejecting me, and my local WG will only do 1 card per day. Other than my safe and steady 2k per day drug store (which we all are apparently destroying, as their consistently out of cards), where should I look?

Hoping to cover about 30k per week.
You would be better served by looking in the 'where to buy $500 GC' threads instead of bringing this one back to the front page.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.