Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: inY
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here. The previous 2015 megathread is here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx
Stopped taking applications August 24, 2016.

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( PROMO CODE NOT WORKING)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $200
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000

From Jan. 11, the maximum reload value will be $200 per week.
and the maximum initial load is $100.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $2,000
•Max spend per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

Visa Buxx(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Visa Buxx(2016)

Originally Posted by gizayabasu
Did read the thread, not sure if I saw any guidelines for the NW Buxx specifically, just possible warnings against changing it. So I was wondering how safe it was to change it and if there were any instances where changing too often led to any negative repercussions.
I attempted to search for this also and would like to know the answer. I think some of the confusion (for myself at least) comes from the different VISA Buxx cards in one thread.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by CherylD
I attempted to search for this also and would like to know the answer. I think some of the confusion (for myself at least) comes from the different VISA Buxx cards in one thread.
I changed mine twice and it stopped doing schedule load and now I have to do manual everytime( which i don't prefer). My advice would be stay away from changing cards a lot.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:48 pm

Has anyone ever used PPBDC to load NW Buxx? Any issues?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
i opened a NWBuxx parent account under my wifes name and planned to add myself as a teen, then open a parent account under my name and add her as a teen. do i have to use 4 email accounts in order to do this? because i cant have a parent and a teen account under the same email, right?

or can i add her as a teen to her own account? and would that require 2 emails, 1 for her parent account and 1 for her teen account?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Sipre Elite, Marriott Gold, Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by indelible
i opened a NWBuxx parent account under my wifes name and planned to add myself as a teen, then open a parent account under my name and add her as a teen. do i have to use 4 email accounts in order to do this? because i cant have a parent and a teen account under the same email, right?

or can i add her as a teen to her own account? and would that require 2 emails, 1 for her parent account and 1 for her teen account?
you dont have to submit an email address when adding a teen I think
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:31 pm

Automating Loads

Most of us would probably like our Nationwide cards kept close to fully loaded, without doing too much work.

A possible strategy is to pick a date to start. To maximize float this should be right after the chosen card closes.

One can then set up weekly (or possibly biweekly) loads.

As I understand their system, if any of the many restrictions are violated the load will not occur (such as the load placing a card over the $1,000, or a load being too soon after an earlier load that would exceed the $500 on two loads within a 7 day rolling period) limit. This should keep the card well funded so that one can make an $800 withdrawal by paying a CITI or Capital One card when needed, or withdraw up to $200 when near a suitable ATM.

An an example, if the card started out with $500, one might schedule a payment on the 5th (after the credit card used for loading closed), bring it to $1,000. This would permit a single phone payment against a credit card balance of $800, or a $200 withdrawal when near a suitable ATM machine.

In a week on the 12th, a reload would be tried and would work if over $500 had been withdraw by payments (probably $800). If not it would be tried again on the 19th and then the 26th, by which time the amount might have been drawn down to below $500.

To avoid having different teen cards interfering with each other, they probably should be scheduled for dates a week apart. Two cards could be on the same schedule (two payments made on the same date). With three cards, two might be on one schedule, and the third scheduled for a week later (to avoid the rolling 7 day rule).

While this is intended to minimize my use of time (fewer phone calls are needed if phone payments are large, ideally $800, and passing suitable ATM machines at non-predictable times), I suspect others have similar circumstances.

Attempting $500 loads every week should assure the teen cards typically have over $500 on them, making $200 ATM withdrawals feasible, and reasonably large payments by phone.

Of course there are other schemes that might work, such as those involving monthly payments. These have the problem that they fail in February (only 28 days), and if a load cannot be done (typically because it would bring the teen card over $1,000), it may be a month before a load is attempted again.

Does anyone see a problem with this, such a Nationwide being unhappy with repeated failures of loads to occur because a limit is violated (typically the maximum load of $1,000 per rolling 30 days is exceeded)?

For those trying to control the spending of a teen, while also being sure they had access to a card with a reasonable sum of money on it, this could be useful. When ever the amount on the card fell below $500, the next weekly load would bring it back up to over $500. The teenager cannot spend than $500 per week, but should usually have access to enough funds to handle emergencies.

In doing this one might wish to start with card values that were round numbers of hundreds, so on did not get many $500 loads failing (such as might happen if a $500 load was tried with $505 on the card).

Last edited by ed765; Jan 1, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Raycaiyan
you dont have to submit an email address when adding a teen I think
ah, thanks. you're correct!

but i guess i'll need to create 4 usernames.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by glynot
concur on the 2k... seems to be the limit I'm running up against as well.
What I am perceiving is a $1K per credit card number limit per 7 days. This seems to be across any number of parents/teens available. If you have an account where each plastic has a different number, then it is treated as a separate $1K per 7 days.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
TD Buxx monthly spend limit $2000?

As noted in the WIKI, the rolling 30 day load limit is $3000 and there is no transaction limit. Recently, my cards have been declined and I finally called in to determine the cause. I was told that the monthly (probably rolling 30 day) transaction limit was $2000. Obviously, the single transaction limit is $2000, as that's the maximum the card can hold, but I was unaware that there was a 30 day transaction limit. This makes no sense, as the 30 day load limit is $3000, but it does correspond with my experience. Anyone with similar experience?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by j3brooklyn
As noted in the WIKI, the rolling 30 day load limit is $3000 and there is no transaction limit. Recently, my cards have been declined and I finally called in to determine the cause. I was told that the monthly (probably rolling 30 day) transaction limit was $2000. Obviously, the single transaction limit is $2000, as that's the maximum the card can hold, but I was unaware that there was a 30 day transaction limit. This makes no sense, as the 30 day load limit is $3000, but it does correspond with my experience. Anyone with similar experience?
Ah, you are referring to the TD product. I'm sorry, I was referring to NW. What product do you find valuable to load TD given its product type limitations?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:12 pm

Ask Mint.com to add NW Visa Buxx to their site

I logged to my Mint (mint.com) acct to see if by any chance they had an option for the NW Visa Buxx to be added there, they didn't. They did have one for the US Bank Buxx though.

After I searched for NW (searched for "visa buxx" to see what showed), I went ahead and clicked on the link that tells you to request a bank to be added to their site, it asks for the following fields, (putting them here for copy & paste purposes):

Name - Nationwide Visa Buxx
Home page: https://www.visaprepaidprocessing.co...ages/Home.aspx
Login page: https://www.visaprepaidprocessing.co...es/SignIn.aspx

Maybe if a bunch of us ask Mint, they will be more inclined to add this, so please consider submitting a request after you've logged to your Mint acct. Thanks.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
Not sure if this is just an anomaly or a new policy, but attempted to pay Citi DC card with NW Buxx and transaction was declined as "not permitted" on 2 attempts. Was within all limits for spend and was first time I have experienced this.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by muflyer
Not sure if this is just an anomaly or a new policy, but attempted to pay Citi DC card with NW Buxx and transaction was declined as "not permitted" on 2 attempts. Was within all limits for spend and was first time I have experienced this.
I just finished paying $800 from DC#1 and $550 on DC#2 with no issues. Try calling again, maybe you'll get it through with the next rep.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:19 pm

Just checked NW Buxx terms again, and looks like they maybe changed the load limits? Now it's 200/week, not 500, and still 2/load. Knocks the profit off by more than half?

I loaded 500 onto 2 accounts yesterday no problem, with 500 onto my other 2 accounts scheduled next week. We'll see.

http://www.nationwide.com/bank-buxxcard-disclosures.jsp
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by greasypig
Just checked NW Buxx terms again, and looks like they maybe changed the load limits? Now it's 200/week, not 500, and still 2/load. Knocks the profit off by more than half?

I loaded 500 onto 2 accounts yesterday no problem, with 500 onto my other 2 accounts scheduled next week. We'll see.

http://www.nationwide.com/bank-buxxcard-disclosures.jsp
Not scheduled for any load for at least another several days, but this does not look promising, going from a 0.4% fee structure to 1.0%. Seems like initial loads were also changed from $500 max to $100.

I'm hoping those who got in under the old conditions can be grandfathered in, but I'm not holding my breath.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.