Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: uncommonsensical
Answer: YMMV. (period)

Any other answer is nonsense and, frankly, misleading; unless the author has intimate knowledge of the details of thousands of cases with each issuer to have a large enough sample size to render an opinion that is grounded in anything other than pure baseless speculation.

i understand the desire to have some sage MSer tell you 'go ahead, it's ok'. well, even though username 'KINGofMS' with 3869 posts (join date, October 2015) says so, he has no idea.

i can sum up people going along with no AA (adverse action) who give advise using a life analogy:

i plan to live forever.
so far, so good.

not to leave without providing some sage wisdom:

do NOT MS Amex Charge cards. too much risk for them and you will, almost certainly, be FR'd with any volume. that said, if your application is 100% truthful and you don't mind turning your tax returns over to Amex's data security... nevermind- knock yourself out.

-uncommonsensical
Print Wikipost

Cards to avoid MS on?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Cards to avoid MS on?

Are there any cards that you avoid putting too much (or any) MS on, due to a reputation of shutting accounts down? I've read here, for instance, that AmEx is strict about the Plat, PRG, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by rasgueado
Are there any cards that you avoid putting too much (or any) MS on, due to a reputation of shutting accounts down? I've read here, for instance, that AmEx is strict about the Plat, PRG, etc.
Been shut down by Chase, Barclays, BOA
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
you must avoid putting "too much" MS on every credit card. the trick is finding out what ("too much" - $1) is equal to for each card.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by particlemn
you must avoid putting "too much" MS on every credit card. the trick is finding out what ("too much" - $1) is equal to for each card.
Good point. With all these datapoints it would be nice to know what sort of volume people were doing (e.g., how many figures per month).
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Good point. With all these datapoints it would be nice to know what sort of volume people were doing (e.g., how many figures per month).
Read the shutdown thread(s) to get your data points rather than request people to re post here
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Read the shutdown thread(s) to get your data points rather than request people to re post here
I hadn't seen those! Thanks, I'll look around.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by jiffyjiff
Been shut down by Chase, Barclays, BOA
Good for you, you don't have to visit here so much!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:48 pm

I hadn't seen those! Thanks, I'll look around.
Let me know if you find them. No luck so far. The search term "shutdown" isn't much help.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:57 pm

Google is the best way to search this site - just type in whatever you are searching for + flyertalk at the end ... e.g., "shutdown flyertalk" will give you search results and the very first search result is pointing directly to this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:54 pm

Capitol One --- pulls ALL three credit bureaus, not much reward. Not worth it.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Capitol One --- pulls ALL three credit bureaus, not much reward. Not worth it.
Now this is my go to card . I opened it without knowing there will be HP on all CBs.

Since now i have this card , iam burning it like anything. Buy simon GC , walmart BP. Runs in loop
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
This is completely non-responsive to the question. The "trick" you mention is exactly what OP was asking -- which cards/issuers tend to have stricter limits.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
This is completely non-responsive to the question. The "trick" you mention is exactly what OP was asking -- which cards/issuers tend to have stricter limits.
wrong. it's completely responsive. every issuer has a history of closing accounts for MS. it's also VERY VERY dependent upon your history, length of credit, income etc. iow, the question in nonsensical for any detail as it is ymmv.

the only issuer who didn't have a history was amex- who just did anal probes (FR). but that changed with OBC where they shut all cards on some when closing.

there's nowhere to hide. it's like being a corner drug dealer- eventually you're gonna get caught if you're doing any volume.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
wrong. it's completely responsive. every issuer has a history of closing accounts for MS. it's also VERY VERY dependent upon your history, length of credit, income etc. iow, the question in nonsensical for any detail as it is ymmv.

the only issuer who didn't have a history was amex- who just did anal probes (FR). but that changed with OBC where they shut all cards on some when closing.

there's nowhere to hide. it's like being a corner drug dealer- eventually you're gonna get caught if you're doing any volume.
Again, unresponsive. "every issuer has a history of closing accounts for MS" is not helpful to the question of which issuers are KNOWN for it. And yes, some banks are more strict than others.

Under this logic, the question of, say, "Which prepaid card is more MS-friendly: Amex Serve or H&R Block Emerald" would be totally impossible to answer because both cards have shut down users for MS activity in the past.

Last edited by billybayswater; Jan 7, 2016 at 1:18 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: Several dozen
Interesting analogy - heard of MS being compared to money laundering, but now drug dealing? You, sir, slander us legitimate businessmen!

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." -- Michael Corleone

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
...there's nowhere to hide. it's like being a corner drug dealer- eventually you're gonna get caught if you're doing any volume...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.