Cards to avoid MS on?

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 15, 16, 11:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: uncommonsensical
Wiki Link
Answer: YMMV. (period)

Any other answer is nonsense and, frankly, misleading; unless the author has intimate knowledge of the details of thousands of cases with each issuer to have a large enough sample size to render an opinion that is grounded in anything other than pure baseless speculation.

i understand the desire to have some sage MSer tell you 'go ahead, it's ok'. well, even though username 'KINGofMS' with 3869 posts (join date, October 2015) says so, he has no idea.

i can sum up people going along with no AA (adverse action) who give advise using a life analogy:

i plan to live forever.
so far, so good.

not to leave without providing some sage wisdom:

do NOT MS Amex Charge cards. too much risk for them and you will, almost certainly, be FR'd with any volume. that said, if your application is 100% truthful and you don't mind turning your tax returns over to Amex's data security... nevermind- knock yourself out.

-uncommonsensical
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 14, 16, 11:20 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Some truth to AMEX hating on MS on their business cards.

Originally Posted by anubond005 View Post
Should totally avoid Large MS on Amex platinum. Tried to buy gift cards for large amount one time and got a call for a Financial review.
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
I hope you're trying to be funny. $500K income and MSing? Go live a little.
You have A LOT to learn...
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:59 pm

Is putting $600 in VGC every 10 days at Staples considered too much to place on my Ink+?
I have been using the VGC to pay for groceries, gas and my son daycare.
Old Jan 15, 16, 10:13 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
Is putting $600 in VGC every 10 days at Staples considered too much to place on my Ink+?
YMMV

It all depends on your unique circumstances...no one can answer this with 100% certainty.
What is your CL with this card?
What is your history with the card? History with Chase?
Legit business, income, etc?
What other spending do you put on the card?
ETC....

First rule of MS: YMMV
Old Jan 15, 16, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY View Post

....First rule of MS: YMMV
Whenever I get a new CC, the first thing I do is get Cash advance lowered to 0, or as low as possible.

The next thing is to put some "regular" spending on the card like groceries, gas, utility, etc. Then I'll start small with maybe $1k of VGC, and ramp up from there.

I've never had a fraud alert or denial of sale on any of my 18 CC.
Old Jan 15, 16, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DeaconY View Post
YMMV

It all depends on your unique circumstances...no one can answer this with 100% certainty.
What is your CL with this card?
What is your history with the card? History with Chase?
Legit business, income, etc?
What other spending do you put on the card?
ETC....

First rule of MS: YMMV
Hey,
I have had my Chase Ink+ for a little under a month now, the CL is 5 grands.
I have been putting all my monthly expenses on it including phone, cable, child daycare, groceries, gas etc...
As far as the business I got the card for, I claimed to be a personal trainer (which I do a little bit on the side) but my main job is software engineering with an income close to 150k a year.
JCD
Old Jan 15, 16, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u View Post
Whenever I get a new CC, the first thing I do is get Cash advance lowered to 0, or as low as possible.
What's the reasoning behind that?
Old Jan 15, 16, 6:51 pm

He's anti cash
Old Jan 15, 16, 6:56 pm

To avoid a CA fee.
Old Jan 15, 16, 8:04 pm

hey! i started my first wiki!

since someone will come along and alter the good advise i spent a solid 5 minutes of my life on, i will repost what i wrote in the wiki here so that what i said can stand alone:

Answer: YMMV. (period)

Any other answer is nonsense and, frankly, misleading; unless the author has intimate knowledge of the details of thousands of cases with each issuer to have a large enough sample size to render an opinion that is grounded in anything other than pure baseless speculation.

i understand the desire to have some sage MSer tell you 'go ahead, it's ok'. well, even though username 'KINGofMS' with 3869 posts (join date, October 2015) says so, he has no idea.

i can sum up people going along with no AA (adverse action) who give advise using a life analogy:

i plan to live forever.
so far, so good.

not to leave without providing some sage wisdom:

do NOT MS Amex Charge cards. too much risk for them and you will, almost certainly, be FR'd with any volume. that said, if your application is 100% truthful and you don't mind turning your tax returns over to Amex's data security... nevermind- knock yourself out.
Old Jan 15, 16, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zgirl View Post
To avoid a CA fee.
I never ever do CA, it is against my beliefs if you must know!
Old Jan 15, 16, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
I never ever do CA, it is against my beliefs if you must know!
But sometimes things may post as a CA that aren't a CA. I think that was his point. I'd assume none of us would knowingly ever do a CA.
Old Jan 16, 16, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
But sometimes things may post as a CA that aren't a CA. I think that was his point. I'd assume none of us would knowingly ever do a CA.
true for me especially when using Citi for initial deposits. I'd rather they decline the transaction rather than be charged a huge CA. When I got my DCB, on activation I requested that my CA be set to zero.
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:43 am

When i had to meet my $20K min spend on Amex Platinum, mostly it was MS. Also in between, I did use the card everywhere where i could for purchases. Amex did not give me any issues.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: