Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Sending Money Internationally - Opportunities to Churn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

So I currently send money abroad on a semi-regular basis - usually a couple thousand dollars every 2-3 months. I've been using Western Union for this so far but now that I am getting into churning, I am wondering if there is a better way of doing it.

Are there are programs/methods where I can use my credit card to send money overseas? I assume there isn't a direct method but even if there are a couple steps involved, it might be worthwhile as Western Union does charge a fee even if you are using cash (from what I remember, it was a little less than $25 for sending $2000).
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
While standing in line for MO's at the grocery store, I am always puzzled by the people that use WU when paypal/venmo/etc is free (from a checking account). Maybe the people receiving the money don't have a checking account, or need the cash that very minute (not 2-3 business days later)? From a selfish point of view, these people irk me because WU transactions take 5-10mins and I'm nearly always stuck behind one of these people which eats into my hourly "MS wage" lol.

If you are MS'ing for cashback, its technically the same pot of money whether you are using it to pay your mortgage, the bar tab or a friend in another country. You won't find a payment system that allows you to send cash with a cc without a fee of ~2% which effectively negates any points/miles/cb you may have earned.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm just shocked to learn that people still are willing to pay the rates WU charges for those transfers.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:22 am

There are many sites like xoom , ria which will accept credit card for sending money , but all charge more fees than u gain from the credit card points.

ria was allowing free debit card transactions to send money without any fee for first 30 days of account opening , and i used t mobile visa card and it worked , but i was worried about shut down from t-mobile and i stopped it. t mobile temp cards were not working.

so iam also still looking for options .

one easier but riskier way is CC->GIFT CARDS-> MO-> BANK DEPOSIT-> MONEY TRANSFER SERVICES like xoom -> foreign country.

If any one need referrals let me know , both of us will get gift cards
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
There are many sites like xoom , ria which will accept credit card for sending money , but all charge more fees than u gain from the credit card points.

ria was allowing free debit card transactions to send money without any fee for first 30 days of account opening , and i used t mobile visa card and it worked , but i was worried about shut down from t-mobile and i stopped it. t mobile temp cards were not working.

so iam also still looking for options .

one easier but riskier way is CC->GIFT CARDS-> MO-> BANK DEPOSIT-> MONEY TRANSFER SERVICES like xoom -> foreign country.

If any one need referrals let me know , both of us will get gift cards
The only bigger flag than international money orders at scale is post office money orders.
Enjoy your time in the bright lights.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by abeadinfo
The only bigger flag than international money orders at scale is post office money orders.
Enjoy your time in the bright lights.
i never said post office MO. I used to get it from kroger using one vanilla.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
i never said post office MO. I used to get it from kroger using one vanilla.
I never said you did. Learn how to read.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by abeadinfo
I never said you did. Learn how to read.
if u quote my post, then that is how everyone will consider. nevermind. out of topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.