Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
I don't see how that is even close to being relatable.

The PIS can't levy fines against you, and the burdon of proof is on them, as they are a law enforcement agency.

The IRS is not a law enforcement agency.
It's relevant in terms of the process of proving one's innocence. Both require a showing of documents and dealing with a large bureaucratic agency.

If anything ,the distinction you drew is irrelevant since we assume that the accused party is ultimately innocent. This, there's no need to consider the issue of punishment, only the process of proving innocence.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
It's relevant in terms of the process of proving one's innocence. Both require a showing of documents and dealing with a large bureaucratic agency.

If anything ,the distinction you drew is irrelevant since we assume that the accused party is ultimately innocent. This, there's no need to consider the issue of punishment, only the process of proving innocence.
How would it be difficult to prove innocence? Seems pretty simple to go grab your CC statements to show the source of funds isn't illegitimate.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Falimz
How would it be difficult to prove innocence? Seems pretty simple to go grab your CC statements to show the source of funds isn't illegitimate.
I didn't say difficult. Something can be troublesome yet still easy to handle it you have the required tools. That's exactly the case with an audit. It can still be troublesome as you have to wait some time for their responses after you submit the requested information.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
I didn't say difficult. Something can be troublesome yet still easy to handle it you have the required tools. That's exactly the case with an audit. It can still be troublesome as you have to wait some time for their responses after you submit the requested information.
The PIS cannot put you through an audit. They would either file charges against you, or they won't file charges against you.

They cannot audit your personal finances.

The IRS can, but the PIS cannot.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
The PIS cannot put you through an audit. They would either file charges against you, or they won't file charges against you.

They cannot audit your personal finances.

The IRS can, but the PIS cannot.
And after being charged, you have to go through a process of proving that you did not commit a crime.

I know that there are differences between an audit by the IRS and being charged by the postal service. However, it's an analogy, and it's not meant to be a perfect comparison. Analogies aren't supposed to be perfect. That's the point. They just convey information about an unfamiliar situation by drawing on similarities and differences to a familiar situation.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by CRNA
When you buy the MO, do the CSR's ask to see your card? They generally wouldn't ask me for my ID, but whenever I use a card they always ask to see the last 4 digests of my card.
Just tell them the last 4 digits. They don't need to see the card. Besides, if it is the wrong set of digits, the transaction wouldn't go through.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:07 pm

And after being charged, you have to go through a process of proving that you did not commit a crime.

I know that there are differences between an audit by the IRS and being charged by the postal service. However, it's an analogy, and it's not meant to be a perfect comparison. Analogies aren't supposed to be perfect. That's the point. They just convey information about an unfamiliar situation by drawing on similarities and differences to a familiar situation.
Typically here in the US it is the prosecutor's job to go about proving that you did commit a crime, but sadly in most cases, the difference is negligible..
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:10 am

structuring.

for those curious, that is the crime the post office will suspect you of, if you keep purchasing lots of money orders in small amounts. the concern is that you are buying MOs to hide income. the real reason you are doing it is not relevant to the PO. it is the job of the investigator not to be creative themselves, but to catch (and punish) creativity.

the PO does not track or have any access to what you do with your MOs. the investigation and prosecution is all front-end, meaning that clerks are required to generate reports of suspicious MO purchases. part of the design of this reporting process is to catch people who don't give any ID at the time of purchase (e..g., using anonymous gift cards), and who make similar purchases at other POs. the biggest risk factor is buying MOs at several different POs.

the process takes a few weeks or months to get going. but when it hits, it will be a criminal prosecution. and when that happens, remember the #1 rule of law enforcement: guilty until proved innocent.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by crabbing
structuring.
the PO does not track or have any access to what you do with your MOs. the investigation and prosecution is all front-end, meaning that clerks are required to generate reports of suspicious MO purchases. part of the design of this reporting process is to catch people who don't give any ID at the time of purchase (e..g., using anonymous gift cards), and who make similar purchases at other POs. the biggest risk factor is buying MOs at several different POs.
So, out of curiosity, how often do you ever get asked for ID when buying MO? Debit card TXN at PO doesn't require them to even look at the cards, much less your ID. In this case, just where exactly are they going to get your identifying information from? A divining rod?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:53 am

i assume everyone in this hobby read the times article on structuring last year, but the conclusion was that the irs would stop civil forfeiture unless there was underlying crime.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crabbing
structuring.

for those curious, that is the crime the post office will suspect you of...
Unless you work for the agency in question, you don't really know what they do.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Dec 20, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 20, 2015, 12:04 pm

I would have guessed they would suspect a person of money laundering. But that's just what I think, a guess.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by brandon032586
i assume everyone in this hobby read the times article on structuring last year, but the conclusion was that the irs would stop civil forfeiture unless there was underlying crime.
Got a link to that article?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
What would happen in a civil forfeiture involving MOs at the Post Office? All your points and miles get seized?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by msp3
What would happen in a civil forfeiture involving MOs at the Post Office? All your points and miles get seized?
... cares? stop masturbating in public

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.