Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MS for tuition?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:50 pm

I can't believe there are schools that don't charge a processing fee. 2% is what' I've seen but even that high there are plenty of 2% cards out there where it's a good way to meet a large minimum spend with zero work, especially if you were just going to pay it from your checking account. Might as well get a large sign up bonus out of the deal.

I'm curious though for people paying tuition with loans, isn't a portion of your loans interest rate tied to your credit score? So having a large # of credit cards would mean higher interest rates? I just always assumed MS was for people with no need for a credit score, or at least toned down during periods where they are buying houses, applying for student loans, etc etc

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Jun 5, 2015 at 1:52 pm Reason: .
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:17 pm

I paid my son's tuition last year with my Citi double cash for 2% back. Each semester was about $20k. No problem, no denial, this school had no charge to use a charge card (I asked the business office specifically ahead of time). So it is certainly possible, but check with the college for whatever fee there might be.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:29 pm

I am curious as to weather these schools will accept an online payment with AGC??? IS there any way to know beforehand?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I can't believe there are schools that don't charge a processing fee. 2% is what' I've seen but even that high there are plenty of 2% cards out there where it's a good way to meet a large minimum spend with zero work, especially if you were just going to pay it from your checking account. Might as well get a large sign up bonus out of the deal.

I'm curious though for people paying tuition with loans, isn't a portion of your loans interest rate tied to your credit score? So having a large # of credit cards would mean higher interest rates? I just always assumed MS was for people with no need for a credit score, or at least toned down during periods where they are buying houses, applying for student loans, etc etc
My wife's community college doesn't charge any fees surprisingly regardless of card issuer (they accept all 4) and so we use this for MS every semester! Really nice way to take advantage of it while we can.

The loans are government loans and are fixed regardless of yuor credit which is nice...

And a large # of credit cards won't hurt your score unless you carry high balances. Otherwise more credit usually will give you a higher score...
Old Jun 9, 2015, 12:08 pm

Chase United is a Visa Signature. Don't these allow you to go over your limit as long as the amount over is paid in full after a statement is generated?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 12:57 pm

MS with College Tuition Fee

I haven't come across this thread here with respect to college tuition, hence opening a thread for discussion and ideas.

As you might be aware, most colleges do not accept credit card payment. Not so sure about the debit card. If there is something like serve which acts as a checking it should be fine.

The problem is tuition runs into thousands of dollars let's say 10K-20K per semester. You don't want to accumulate this much amount in your serve account so one day you can pay tuition assuming you pay lump sum at the start of the semester to avoid any installment fee. The reason you don't want to accumulate is because this amount is not earning any interest.

It would be the same thing if you bought VGCs, unless you can time this at the start of the semester when you pay tuition.

May be the thing would be to go on an installment tuition plan and pay it by the debit cards. What do you think? any ideas on how to MS tuition payment?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:11 pm

There was a thread a bit ago about this. The major point was that MS can mostly be done independent of any real costs, such as tuition. I'm mobile, so I can't link said thread.

At the same time, though, check if they would accept multiple money orders. Most people don't have a means of liquidating a large amount of money orders, so this could be a good opportunity.

At times, I was able to pay tuition via Serve because financial aid covered the majority of such. Then I just sent a check for the remainder.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 1:13 pm

There are already a few threads discussing how to MS tuition fees and IIRC most settle with products under the Serve platform.

Try google tuition site:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending

Academic calendars are published well ahead of payment dues, it shouldn't be too difficult to time.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 2:40 pm

Some summaries and things you might do:

Check with the college if they accept credit card with no fee. I can tell you 100% that Wentworth in Boston does. I paid my son's entire tuition with Citi last year.

Other colleges have a plan for accepting credit cards. The college my son transferred to has this set up. 2.75% fee for using a cc.

I know that one can put money "on account" at the Bursar's office at most colleges. You'd have to check if they accept debit cards with no fee. I have also considered using my Redbird account to push a payment to the college. Haven't because it's just as easy to simply use Redbird to pay the cc directly.

Are there other methods? Probably.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707
At the same time, though, check if they would accept multiple money orders. Most people don't have a means of liquidating a large amount of money orders, so this could be a good opportunity.
I second money orders, which I do right now. I even fund my SEP-IRA with MOs.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:24 pm

Just want to be clear, Money orders from Walmart or post office or from someplace else? I assume the MO are cut out from VGC.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
Just want to be clear, Money orders from Walmart or post office or from someplace else? I assume the MO are cut out from VGC.
Yes. It's from wherever you can get them where you live at the most convenient location and at the most inexpensive price from VGCs. At Walmart, they cost 70 cents each. Many here buy up to $1000 per MO.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:25 pm

If you have serve or redbird, it is like a checking account with account number and routing number, so you should be able to pay college tuition, apartment rent etc. can someone confirm this?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
If you have serve or redbird, it is like a checking account with account number and routing number, so you should be able to pay college tuition, apartment rent etc. can someone confirm this?
You cant use the routing and account number to withdraw, its for deposit only.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
You cant use the routing and account number to withdraw, its for deposit only.
Doesn't serve and redbird have send money, send check feature? How about you use that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.