Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Suggestions or Ideas to “Season” a new CC for MS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I haven't really seen this topic covered much by other threads, so thought I would toss it out for comments and suggestions.

I’m not much of a card churner, focusing mostly on MS rather than sign up bonuses, but I've recently diversified my MS a bit with a new Amex PRG and Citi Premier.

I've already worked through the Amex Fraud Alerts and really haven’t been having any issues with my gas or grocery purchases. I already have a couple Amex cards, so not sure if that helped since those cards were already seasoned with my purchase patterns. I really just ended up with one FA on a (legitimate) duplicate purchase amount. Since that was cleared, it’s been smooth sailing with Amex (even on closely timed duplicate purchase amounts).

Unfortunately, Citi computers are not ‘learning’ my spending patterns as easily. I’ve long had a sock-drawered Preferred card that I only pull out for the occasional targeted 5x point bonus, and every time I use it, it invariably gets a FA. So I’m thinking that training on the Citi Premier is going to be a similar or at least longer hassle to work through.

In general I don’t mind clearing a FA’s at the customer service desk at the grocery store as long as it’s quiet, but gas stations are much busier all the time, and I don’t think they are going to want me tying up a register while I call and try to clear it.

Since the Premier is only bonused on gas, I’m wondering what suggestions the MS Community has for teaching my new Citi card to play nice with high dollar gas purchases? I’ve already signed up for text alerts, but I’m not even sure if Citi lets you clear those with a return text?
Old May 4, 2015, 9:56 am

I've cleared FA with Citi texts.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:16 pm

Start with smaller amounts and work your way up. Do NOT end the purchase with .00 but instead, make it up to some random number. CITI shuts me down even with a $12.00 purchase. I can do $999.79 without issue.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:24 pm

If it is a brand new card, start of with a big purchase as your very first purchase. You might get an FA, but from then on the odds are lower of getting a FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.