Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VGC's and AGC's from Office Depot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
The register is hard-coded not to allow credit cards to be used to buy variable visa/MC/Amex gift cards. People want the $200 cards because the register will allow a credit card to be used to buy them. At most OD/OM stores, you will have no problem paying for fixed-value gift cards or merchant gift cards with a credit card. The Manager at your OD was wrong about that.
Is this something exclusive to OD/OM/Staples? Can you buy variable value visa gift cards with credit cards at other locations?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titainum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Delta Diamond
Seriously?

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Is this something exclusive to OD/OM/Staples? Can you buy variable value visa gift cards with credit cards at other locations?
Grocery stores and pharmacies, for example
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shakim
Grocery stores and pharmacies, for example
...and a few gas stations.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:46 pm

This is an Office Depot question but I don't want to start a new thread.

Anyone have a problem where a specific OD was charging sales tax on the gift cards? I walked in, the nice Asst. Manager said she thought it was weird too, but couldn't do anything.

I know they aren't supposed to charge tax, so I called around. It's specific to this store and corporate customer service was super nice, also confirmed it was specific to this store but couldn't do anything.

I'll try to reach a manager tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone had any tips.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mortgasm
This is an Office Depot question but I don't want to start a new thread.

Anyone have a problem where a specific OD was charging sales tax on the gift cards? I walked in, the nice Asst. Manager said she thought it was weird too, but couldn't do anything.

I know they aren't supposed to charge tax, so I called around. It's specific to this store and corporate customer service was super nice, also confirmed it was specific to this store but couldn't do anything.

I'll try to reach a manager tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone had any tips.
That`s how they code purchase fee lately when you use a promo. Essentially, the total is correct amount.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kat007
That`s how they code purchase fee lately when you use a promo. Essentially, the total is correct amount.
I thought that was it, but it wasn't. I was coming out with a total price of $837.46 which is (4 x 206.95 x 1.06)- $40 for the rebate. Tax is 6%.
Old May 4, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mortgasm
I thought that was it, but it wasn't. I was coming out with a total price of $837.46 which is (4 x 206.95 x 1.06)- $40 for the rebate. Tax is 6%.
Which rebate was giving $40? or do you mean a prepaid gift card?
Old May 6, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by poisonsag
Which rebate was giving $40? or do you mean a prepaid gift card?
There is currently a deal at OD/OM for $20 off $300 Visa gift cards, limit 2, so $600 in VGC gets a $40 discount.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:49 am

I tried to buy 4 $200 fix value cards at OD right down the street and the manager said they were cash only. I told her I thought that was only for the variable cards and she said NO, that's for all visa gift cards. Ugh, they had like 20 of them out on the rack!
Old May 6, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diseased
I tried to buy 4 $200 fix value cards at OD right down the street and the manager said they were cash only. I told her I thought that was only for the variable cards and she said NO, that's for all visa gift cards. Ugh, they had like 20 of them out on the rack!
Try when that manager isn't around. You may get lucky.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Try when that manager isn't around. You may get lucky.
Such as very early in the morning or very late at night.
Old May 6, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by michael_v
There is currently a deal at OD/OM for $20 off $300 Visa gift cards, limit 2, so $600 in VGC gets a $40 discount.
$300 or more... and if you buy $600 you'll get $40 off.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:01 pm

First MS VGC @ OD, + question

Thanks everybody for this great thread.

I'm new to the game and went to OD today (May 6, 2015) to purchase VGCs. The $20 off $300 VGC promo was advertised through May 16.

There were several varieties of variable-load VGCs but the cashier scanned each one and confirmed they could only be purchased with cash.

Instead, I picked up a few $200 fixed value VGCs with the $20/$300 offer.

Do I understand correctly that the variable-load VGCs can be purchased at some grocery/pharmacy/gas locations with a CC? (OD/OM specifically said no to that).

Thanks for all the help. This is my first post.

Last edited by 10PN2s; May 6, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old May 6, 2015, 1:08 pm
jk2

I usually do 2x(2x$200) separately for this promo. did anybody try to checkout $600+ in one transaction? Did you get $40 off? It would be much easy and faster.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 10PN2s
Thanks everybody for this great thread.

I'm new to the game and went to OD today (May 6, 2015) to purchase VGCs. The $20 off $300 VGC promo was advertised through May 16.

There were several varieties of variable-load VGCs but the cashier scanned each one and confirmed they could only be purchased with cash.

Instead, I picked up a few $200 fixed value VGCs with the $20/$300 offer.

I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the best way to liquidate these. I've searched the threads and googled some blogs, but I think either the terms are changing over time or writers are not being clear on the difference between OneVanilla VGC (variable load) and Vanilla VGC (fixed value).

It doesn't appear that the fixed value VGC can be used to pay bills online, only to make a transaction where a credit or debit card would be used anyways.

If that's the case, are people just buying these OD/OM fixed value VGCs to take advantage of the Chase Ink 5x bonus? I'm not sure what else they're good for...

Also, do I understand correctly that the variable-load VGCs can be purchased at some grocery/pharmacy/gas locations with a CC? (OD/OM specifically said no to that).

Thanks for all the help. This is my first post.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.