Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VGC's and AGC's from Office Depot

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
I usually do 2x(2x$200) separately for this promo. did anybody try to checkout $600+ in one transaction? Did you get $40 off? It would be much easy and faster.
Worked for me a couple days ago. Twice.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by 10PN2s
Thanks everybody for this great thread.

I'm new to the game and went to OD today (May 6, 2015) to purchase VGCs. The $20 off $300 VGC promo was advertised through May 16.

There were several varieties of variable-load VGCs but the cashier scanned each one and confirmed they could only be purchased with cash.

Instead, I picked up a few $200 fixed value VGCs with the $20/$300 offer.

I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the best way to liquidate these. I've searched the threads and googled some blogs, but I think either the terms are changing over time or writers are not being clear on the difference between OneVanilla VGC (variable load) and Vanilla VGC (fixed value).

It doesn't appear that the fixed value VGC can be used to pay bills online, only to make a transaction where a credit or debit card would be used anyways.

If that's the case, are people just buying these OD/OM fixed value VGCs to take advantage of the Chase Ink 5x bonus? I'm not sure what else they're good for...

Also, do I understand correctly that the variable-load VGCs can be purchased at some grocery/pharmacy/gas locations with a CC? (OD/OM specifically said no to that).

Thanks for all the help. This is my first post.
Simple answer: People are definitely buying them for the 5x Chase bonus. Then, I cash them out to my Bluebird through the WalMart kiosk. (That is not the exclusive method, others do differently.)

And welcome to FlyerTalk!!!!
Old May 6, 2015, 1:50 pm

Also, do I understand correctly that the variable-load VGCs can be purchased at some grocery/pharmacy/gas locations with a CC? (OD/OM specifically said no to that).
Check WAG this week for their promo of buy any 2 vanilla GCs, get $5 WAGGC free. The variable GC is in the ad so you'll unlikely have problems buying them. AND, they can be bought with CC! If you encounter a manager that tells you hardcoded for cash only, let them check their manual because the only ones hardcoded for cash are Balance Financial, VR, MVD, Prepaid Paypal debit card. To prove your point, ask them to swipe any of those 4 cards and the register will display a message saying cash only whereas for other GCs, no such message comes up which means you can buy them with CC.

This vanilla GC offer runs till Saturday, May 9.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Check WAG this week for their promo of buy any 2 vanilla GCs, get $5 WAGGC free. The variable GC is in the ad so you'll unlikely have problems buying them. AND, they can be bought with CC! If you encounter a manager that tells you hardcoded for cash only, let them check their manual because the only ones hardcoded for cash are Balance Financial, VR, MVD, Prepaid Paypal debit card. To prove your point, ask them to swipe any of those 4 cards and the register will display a message saying cash only whereas for other GCs, no such message comes up which means you can buy them with CC.

This vanilla GC offer runs till Saturday, May 9.
Be aware that each Walgreens will have it's own policy on GCs. The ones around me will only sell $500 max, so this promotion doesn't work for me -- I'd have to buy 2 $250 GCs and pay $9.90-5=$4.90 for 500 miles or points, saving a whopping $0.05.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Be aware that each Walgreens will have it's own policy on GCs. The ones around me will only sell $500 max, so this promotion doesn't work for me -- I'd have to buy 2 $250 GCs and pay $9.90-5=$4.90 for 500 miles or points, saving a whopping $0.05.
WGs around me is cash only. :-( YMMV.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:30 pm

Liquidation cont.

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Simple answer: People are definitely buying them for the 5x Chase bonus. Then, I cash them out to my Bluebird through the WalMart kiosk. (That is not the exclusive method, others do differently.)

And welcome to FlyerTalk!!!!

Thank you for the warm welcome Steve! If I'm catching on, liquidation is via MO, BB, RC or Serve?

From the volatility of experience detailed here, it seems like I'll have to go to different places and try purchase and liquidation options to see what's acceptable in my local area.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:57 pm

Is anyone having issues buying gcs from OD with chase ink? At two different stores, the chip on the card wouldn't read. Same result, couldn't get it to read, and the line was backing up. The last store tried two different registers.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Newgene
Is anyone having issues buying gcs from OD with chase ink? At two different stores, the chip on the card wouldn't read. Same result, couldn't get it to read, and the line was backing up. The last store tried two different registers.
I often have trouble using my 2 ink cards at OM. Both before and after the chip. I usually only buy during promotions. I have not tried in the last 6 weeks.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:46 pm

The problem seems to be intermittent, almost a function of the cashier. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just sits there doing nothing. I won't use a different card, so I don't have a data point to say if it's all cc or just the ink. The first time, they had to key in the card number manually The second time, they wouldn't key it in, so we just left.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 5:08 am

The problem seems to be intermittent, almost a function of the cashier. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it just sits there doing nothing. I won't use a different card, so I don't have a data point to say if it's all cc or just the ink. The first time, they had to key in the card number manually The second time, they wouldn't key it in, so we just left.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:14 am

Any thoughts, anyone?
Clearly only a guess, but since the ink is a business card, there may be something in the system to prompt for a job code or something similar. It is unique to my ink and not an issue with my non-business cards.

An annoyance, but I'm always able to get it to go thru with the clerk saying "try it again" and then it takes it on the second try.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:48 am

I think OD / OM system is always slow. I bought 5k yesterday, it took even longer and asked to enter the CC info manually on the pad, then approval was quick. (using non chip card)
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Today a form came up on the register at OD wanting ID, cashier said I have been buying too many GC,

Purchased some Amazon, and Loewe's, no GC, just pushing the 5x Ink .

Later purchased more at Staples, no problem, have a remodeling project going on, not MS, just a Point Grab....
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
The OD/OM POS software supporting the chip reader seems to be super buggy. In general, the employees have no idea why problems crop up. I've seen every register in a store get locked-up due the problems

Entering the card info manually seems to always work, as it avoids whatever new software they've implemented.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Chase Denied

My local OD called "Chase" when I tried to buy 2 $200 vgcs during a promo. The cashier said the card was denied. I called the number on my card and they said they had no idea why as the card was never put in the POS terminal. I later called OD corp and they explained that the store may call Chase retail services for an approval for cc purchases over $200. Anyone else have this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.