Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

chase freedom bonus category count on which date?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:50 am
Original Poster

trans. date or posted date? thanks,
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:01 am

IME, they considered the transaction date. Last year, I failed to add my purchases correctly leaving me with a few dollars to max out and I purchased something on the last day of the quarter. I still got the 5% even if it posted the 2nd of the next month.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:19 am

Here's another thread on the issue. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...post-date.html

And here's a blog post on the issue. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit...and-post-date/

The thread indicates that it's based on transaction date (though it's from 2012). The blog post indicates it's based on post date, so there's definitely conflicting information.

Back in February, I did a restaurant transaction on the first Friday of the month with my CSP (3X for that day). The transaction didn't post until the next day, and I only received 2X, so I had to contact customer service to get the extra points. Personally, I would think that it would be post date.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:19 am

here's a blog post on the issue. http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit...and-post-date/

...The blog post indicates it's based on post date, so there's definitely conflicting information.
NO! The blog post indicates it's based on transaction date.

If you look at your Freedom account online, we all know you'll see two date columns: Trans Date and Post Date. All DoC is pointing out, is that for an online order there's a third date that you and the merchant know (but the CC website doesn't present to you) -- the order date. Since 99% of online merchants don't bill until they ship, your transaction date will be AFTER your order date.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:05 pm

just another 2 cents.

I purchased grocery on 12/31/2014 on my Freedom and but posted on 01/02/2015. DID NOT receive bonus points.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:30 pm

In my experience, transaction date. Sometimes, though, the transaction date is wrong when I check on the Chase site--but I haven't had any trouble disputing it for credit. (For example--bought an ebook from Amazon. Processed and "shipped" instantly. Receipt indicated correct date, so provided that.)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jksung5295
just another 2 cents.

I purchased grocery on 12/31/2014 on my Freedom and but posted on 01/02/2015. DID NOT receive bonus points.
Yup, came here to post the same thing
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:36 pm

It should be transaction date, but to be safe it makes sense to try to get spending in a couple days before the quarter ends.

Someone could send a Secure Message to Chase online to try to get an answer in writing.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

This topic is not directly related to Manufactured Spending, so it would best be discussed in the Chase forum. Please continue the discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...post-date.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.