Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bank Cash Deposits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
$10,000 or more requires the bank to file something with the government. Splitting transactions intentionally to be under $10,000 to avoid reporting is illegal. Unless you are actually commuting crimes, there is nothing to worry about.
Just to add some clarity. You have nothing to worry about if they file this form. If you structure your activities to avoid them filling out the form (for example by making two $5000 deposits) you could have issues. The odds make this unlikely but the smart move is to do the $10k deposit and not worry about the form.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Wasn't there a rule that you get some kind of 1099 form at the end of the (tax)year if you deposited more than $20k AND had more than 200 deposit transactions at one single institution? I keep my deposits split up between 2 banks so neither of them receives more than $20k a year. Although it probably wouldn't even matter since I make a lot less than 200 deposits...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Wasn't there a rule that you get some kind of 1099 form at the end of the (tax)year if you deposited more than $20k AND had more than 200 deposit transactions at one single institution? I keep my deposits split up between 2 banks so neither of them receives more than $20k a year. Although it probably wouldn't even matter since I make a lot less than 200 deposits...
You might be confusing bank deposits with paypal and similar transactions. PayPal and the like will issue a 1099 for 200 transactions totaling over 20K
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Father-of-3
Just to add some clarity. You have nothing to worry about if they file this form. If you structure your activities to avoid them filling out the form (for example by making two $5000 deposits) you could have issues. The odds make this unlikely but the smart move is to do the $10k deposit and not worry about the form.
I split up my deposits because AFT only lets me withdraw a certain amount per day, and I'm not going to hold onto the cash for several days just to make a deposit of >$10k. I deposit it at the first convenient bank where I have an account. Depending on where I withdraw, it might be different banks.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Tuppins
I split up my deposits because AFT only lets me withdraw a certain amount per day, and I'm not going to hold onto the cash for several days just to make a deposit of >$10k. I deposit it at the first convenient bank where I have an account. Depending on where I withdraw, it might be different banks.
That is not unlawful structuring...

Unlawful structuring is when you get $25,000 in cash from selling something but to avoid reporting you deposit $9,500 / $9,500 / $6,000 as separate transactions vs. just depositing $25,000 at once.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
That is not unlawful structuring...

Unlawful structuring is when you get $25,000 in cash from selling something but to avoid reporting you deposit $9,500 / $9,500 / $6,000 as separate transactions vs. just depositing $25,000 at once.
No such thing as unlawful structuring. What he is doing isn't structuring. However, depending on the circumstances it could appear to be structuring.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Just a sidenote. I closed my business account at First Interstate in Montana and moved to Glacier Bank due to First Interstate actually charging a fee for each $100 in cash deposits for handling the cash!!! My new bank was happy to take my cash without any fees. I had never heard of such a thing!!
BTW, another business owner friend kept making $9500 cash deposits at their bank, and they had a knock on the door by 2 men with badges wanting to know why..... They told them that they did not think it was fair to have to fill out paperwork for each large deposit.
Cheers!
JudyJFLA
1) Cash businesses are considered high risk and therefore many banks put lots of procedures/options/fees in place to steer them away. In addition, high cash businesses are not generally high revenue businesses, and so many banks don't want them in the first place.
2) It is absolutely fair to fill out a CTR when depositing >$10K cash. Banks are responsible for the accounts they open and bank employees are responsible for the transactions they process. If it's "inconvenient" to deposit loads of cash as a business owner, then sign up for Square. And if you structure said deposits long-term, you better expect the tellers/managers are heavily flagging your account with SARs, so don't be shocked when those IRS agents come knocking.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tuppins
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father-of-3

I'm not a lawyer but I think you are fine. You never actually have $10k in cash, and saving up to exceed seems silly. Now if you got cash all month and then spread your $25k around you would be inviting trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.