Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Softcard - Earn up to 4000 miles when you use your United Mileage Plus credit card

Softcard - Earn up to 4000 miles when you use your United Mileage Plus credit card

Old Nov 3, 14, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Just got this in the email this morning:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....b-d4ae528eaba9

Just add any United MileagePlus Credit Card to the Softcard app and tap to pay with it once and you'll receive 2,500 miles. Then keep tapping because you'll earn an additional 500 miles every subsequent month that you tap to pay with Softcard at least once through February 28, 2015*. Terms and conditions apply.
Old Nov 3, 14, 8:06 pm

Got the same email. Just be careful - you are NOT done once you've added your United card! Click 'go to site' on the card's tab and you'll be prompted to 'activate' the offer or something like that - you have to put in your MP # there (even though I thought it was linked to the CC...). Not 100% sure this is necessary to get the miles but I can't imagine the dialogue existing for no reason.

That said, all of my attempts to tap-to-pay today failed - I got 'alternate tender required'. Even when I switched to my Softcard-linked Serve. Anyone else having problems with Softcard today? Maybe this offer is giving their systems an overload...
Old Nov 3, 14, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA
Gotta get this thing fired up on the iPhone 6 ASAP.
Old Nov 4, 14, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by tallakahath View Post
Got the same email. Just be careful - you are NOT done once you've added your United card! Click 'go to site' on the card's tab and you'll be prompted to 'activate' the offer or something like that - you have to put in your MP # there (even though I thought it was linked to the CC...). Not 100% sure this is necessary to get the miles but I can't imagine the dialogue existing for no reason.

That said, all of my attempts to tap-to-pay today failed - I got 'alternate tender required'. Even when I switched to my Softcard-linked Serve. Anyone else having problems with Softcard today? Maybe this offer is giving their systems an overload...
Where did you shop? CVS and Rite Aid disabled NFC payments.
Old Nov 4, 14, 1:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Only works for personal, not business, MPE cards.
Old Nov 4, 14, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buggy51 View Post
Where did you get this info?
Old Nov 4, 14, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by shinji13098 View Post
CVS spend lots of money to do their own NFC, so they disable the apple pay and softcard until their product get good coverage
Old Nov 4, 14, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by shawnchan View Post
CVS spend lots of money to do their own NFC, so they disable the apple pay and softcard until their product get good coverage
Not even NFC. QR codes that need to be scanned.
Old Nov 5, 14, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by shawnchan View Post
Originally Posted by LoneTree View Post
Not even NFC. QR codes that need to be scanned.
Is this also related to major retailers stopping Apple Pay (uses NFC as well) - MCX-gate ?
Old Nov 5, 14, 2:31 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by eb56 View Post
Gotta get this thing fired up on the iPhone 6 ASAP.
Wait - I thought the app was only available for android.

There's an iOS version? What's it called?
(I tried searching on the app store for Softcard and Isis but did not find this...).
Old Nov 5, 14, 9:19 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/te...s&emc=rss&_r=0

and I'm still able to use it on my iphone 5 with cash wrap, but it seems to be stopped in the forseeable future :/

Also, does Walgrees do split transactions? That or I'm going to get a lot of gum in the nearby future -_-
Old Nov 5, 14, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by buggy51 View Post
Well, then. Yes, it was CVS I tried at. Ended up just buying soda at a vending machine, like I usually use Softcard for.

That's too bad, though, I imagine for a number of people this will limit their ability to use tap-to-pay locally...
Old Nov 5, 14, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Wait - I thought the app was only available for android.

There's an iOS version? What's it called?
(I tried searching on the app store for Softcard and Isis but did not find this...).
Softcard works on the iPhone too. On my 5s, I need to use an NFC enabled case. It sucks because I don't like the case that much. The iPhone 6 has NFC capabilities.

Now, what I don't like about NFC payments is that I can't do split transactions. Anyone knows how to split a purchase on Walgreens and use more than 1 CC on the Softcard app?
Old Nov 6, 14, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by andres17 View Post
Softcard works on the iPhone too. On my 5s, I need to use an NFC enabled case. It sucks because I don't like the case that much. The iPhone 6 has NFC capabilities.

Now, what I don't like about NFC payments is that I can't do split transactions. Anyone knows how to split a purchase on Walgreens and use more than 1 CC on the Softcard app?
Have you tried asking the cashier to do whatever they'd normally do to accept multiple swipes? I've found no such option in Softcard, but I'd imagine that if the POS system can take multiple 'swipes', and since it *seems* that the CC terminal doesn't differentiate between NFC and CC swipe once it allows/disallows it, it seems like the procedure would be:

1. Split tender
2. Tap once
3. Do whatever to allow for second 'swipe'
4. Change active card in Softcard
5. Tap again

I think I may try it myself this weekend; its been a while since I've visited my local WAG...
Old Nov 6, 14, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by tallakahath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by andres17

Have you tried asking the cashier to do whatever they'd normally do to accept multiple swipes? I've found no such option in Softcard, but I'd imagine that if the POS system can take multiple 'swipes', and since it *seems* that the CC terminal doesn't differentiate between NFC and CC swipe once it allows/disallows it, it seems like the procedure would be:

1. Split tender
2. Tap once
3. Do whatever to allow for second 'swipe'
4. Change active card in Softcard
5. Tap again

I think I may try it myself this weekend; its been a while since I've visited my local WAG...
Yes, this is what I do all the time.

Search this Thread