Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Is MS a handout, entitlement or earned? Stimulates economy or a ponzi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is MS a handout, entitlement or earned? Stimulates economy or a ponzi?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Don't know why there are such long responses to a semi-trolly post.

Hi Alex, what is arbitrage?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Not mixed up at all. Like the Giant Panda, the stomach of the Giant Banker has just evolved to the point that it can no longer digest the common food from your grocery shopping. Nature restricts the diet of the Giant Banker to bamboozling - LIBOR gaming, illegal foreclosures, money laundering and beggaring taxpayers.
This is the first post leading towards the intended purpose of starting this thread, an attempt to link what u know to MSing.
Originally Posted by jan_believes
Call me naïve but Hank Paulson (knowing the point of moral hazard must be made) figured out a way to approach the economic downturn by strong arming the US banks to accept the $ (TARP), which was just "paper" (added to the debt) anyway, and churn it back to the gov't with interest, again was just "paper" from the Fed again. I think he hoped to make a point and subtly say, don't let this happen again. Couldn't do anything on the Euro side, but he took this side of the pond as his responsibility and domain. He was on his way out so he couldn't guarantee it anyway.

Problem: Once the banks got the money, they decided not to lend. Their revenge, perhaps. Then, they took a look at main street (community banks) and probably lobbied for them to go under. As, if they would not already be a target. Some were probably badly managing their loans anyway, pushing boundaries. Contagious, at the time.

I don't think anybody at the time had a better idea. Even great minds can't resist an extended lunch break.

(JMHO, be kind)
What Paulson did was attempted highway robbery...Banksters took out all the 'Money Market funds' and created liquidity crises, Paulson mfg $700B for banksters!
There was uproar in the public opinion, Treasury had to put conditions on TARP recipients, from my memory 1) No bonuses to TARP recipient employees. 2) Balance sheets continue to 'mark to market accounting' asset valuations and there were few more conditions disagreeable to banksters, so they returned most of the 'created money' back.

Last edited by prasha11; Feb 20, 2015 at 1:16 pm
Old Feb 20, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prasha11
What Paulson did was attempted highway robbery...Banksters took out all the 'Money Market funds' and created liquidity crises, Paulson mfg $700B for banksters!
There was uproar in the public opinion, Treasury had to put conditions on TARP recipients, from my memory 1) No bonuses to TARP recipient employees. 2) Balance sheets continue to 'mark to market accounting' asset valuations and there were few more conditions disagreeable to banksters, so they returned most of the 'created money' back.
All money is created money.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:09 pm

MS absolutely stimulates the economy. As part of our activities we are positively impacting lots of adjacent businesses. We use gas, put wear and tear on our cars, we buy gum and candy. The list goes on and on. mS is a stimulus program.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:56 pm

Sometimes I feel like it's a pyramid scheme, and I'm at the bottom of the pyramid.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:48 am

Someone is getting rich off all the MO and GC transaction fees, that is for sure.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:06 am

Everyone is a winner.....u, me, retail stores, banks and whoever touches the MS cycle, $100 spins and is $100 back, eventually the program shuts down the blame goes around and never know the truth. Is it Kosher? Is there something to feel guilty about? hush hush?
I think everyone is a winner yea.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tuppins
Sometimes I feel like it's a pyramid scheme, and I'm at the bottom of the pyramid.
Interesting! who on the top?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K;
I think we are influenced by the fact that only people who have some moderate success tend to post on FT.

We rarely, if ever, hear from those who are new to the MS world and lose money...one way or other.

The losses are, no doubt, due to the fact that it all looks happy and fun here.... when in fact there are many pitfalls that are not often discussed.
It takes a pretty dedicated person to be successful in the game.

Many have a bit of success at first and then branch out and take a hard hit.

Life sucks sometimes.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:41 pm

Just to compound - I was an OBC'er - my 2nd month, I was doing really good - my 3rd month is when the shutdowns occurred, and I'm still out so much money - including all the fees. I didn't even break even. None of those people really talk about that - just how great it is.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by grayland
I think we are influenced by the fact that only people who have some moderate success tend to post on FT.

We rarely, if ever, hear from those who are new to the MS world and lose money...one way or other.

The losses are, no doubt, due to the fact that it all looks happy and fun here.... when in fact there are many pitfalls that are not often discussed.

Life sucks sometimes.
Pretty much what I believe. Nobody comes on here to brag about how they tried MS'ing and opened several cards just to not pay them off every month and get stuck in debt and paying huge amounts of interest.

It's the same with typical online product reviews. Mostly the ones with a negative experience get pissed and want to tell the world about. All the other people who the product works as expected, they just go about their lives. Kind of like how any plane crash is all over the news (Understandably so). When do you hear on the news that "100,000 planes landed safely today"?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by grayland

Life sucks sometimes.
I had a couple of hiccups with Bluebird/VRs.
One VR didn't work. Took a few days to sort out. The loss on that ($500) would have wiped out all gains.
One BB transfer of $5K to my brokerage account never got there. Took several weeks to sort out with AmEx. I wasn't happy about that one. And it's the reason why I won't have more than one Redbird now - AmEx's money transfers have a history of occasional disappearing money. That's not mentioned often either.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I had a couple of hiccups with Bluebird/VRs.
One VR didn't work. .....
AmEx's money transfers have a history of occasional disappearing money. That's not mentioned often either.
Negative or balanced comments do appear from time to time, but they are actively discouraged in many ways (the flamer crowd, disappearing or merged threads, etc).
It's reasonable to suspect that MS benefits someone besides the participants.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
Someone is getting rich off all the MO and GC transaction fees, that is for sure.
I got 99 problems, getting rich aint one
Old Feb 22, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: 1&2
Interesting! who on the top?
Or the middle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.