FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc. (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1649136-cashback-amex-gc-through-topcashback-bigcrumbs-etc-2015-a.html)

JohnnyCash Jan 2, 2015 8:23 am

My 12/31 orders were just delivered! Usually it takes at least another day until I get them.

nooobFlyer Jan 2, 2015 11:31 am

Originally Posted by kenshinluo (Post 24087818)
Did you order business amex or personal? Personal is limited to 10k every 14 days. If you ordered business cards, do you own a real business?

I ordered business cards. I have a business CC with Amex as well. The business is real but is not as huge and active and is as a sole proprietor.

The credit cards were from multiple family members who are at the same address. Some of them are authorized users on the Amex business CC as well. Was that a red flag that triggered the cancellation? At least three of the orders were from my own CCs and they were cancelled with the same email text.

Any reason why I should not call them to ask about the reason for cancellation?

Stoughton Jan 2, 2015 11:40 am

Originally Posted by nooobFlyer (Post 24089029)
I ordered business cards. I have a business CC with Amex as well. The business is real but is not as huge and active and is as a sole proprietor.

The credit cards were from multiple family members who are at the same address. Some of them are authorized users on the Amex business CC as well. Was that a red flag that triggered the cancellation? At least three of the orders were from my own CCs and they were cancelled with the same email text.

Any reason why I should not call them to ask about the reason for cancellation?

Yes, you won't get an answer that's of any use.

frudd38 Jan 2, 2015 11:51 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyCash (Post 24087982)
My 12/31 orders were just delivered! Usually it takes at least another day until I get them.

Hmm mine haven't even been processed yet from 12/31..

spgbus Jan 2, 2015 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 24089162)
Hmm mine haven't even been processed yet from 12/31..

Received cards from my 12/31 order this morning. Ironically I didn't receive any email notification yet.

nooobFlyer Jan 2, 2015 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton (Post 24089104)
Yes, you won't get an answer that's of any use.

The previous Amex GC I got was a 3k card and I used it all on Target Red in 3-4 swipes. I read some comments above that Amex knows where the funds are used. Has anyone had denial issues because they immediately used the cards in a few swipes? I thought that's what everyone does with Amex; liquidate as soon as possible.
I see other people got approved and even received the cards from 12/31 so its not a blanket rejection of all orders at the temporary 2.25% CB. Oh well, MS is always YMMV, that's part of the game.

silver6054 Jan 2, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by nooobFlyer (Post 24090388)
The previous Amex GC I got was a 3k card and I used it all on Target Red in 3-4 swipes. I read some comments above that Amex knows where the funds are used. Has anyone had denial issues because they immediately used the cards in a few swipes? I thought that's what everyone does with Amex; liquidate as soon as possible.

Denials where, in the AGC purchase? That's very common for all sorts of reasons (and probably no reasons), the system just is clunky.

nooobFlyer Jan 2, 2015 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 24090414)
Denials where, in the AGC purchase? That's very common for all sorts of reasons (and probably no reasons), the system just is clunky.

Yes, my multiple orders totalling 20k+ on business GCs were denied. Thanks, that makes me feel better that it's likely not something specifically tied to me or my account.

Lobachevsky Jan 2, 2015 6:33 pm

I tried using my Discover card to place an order today. It was declined. Yes, I read the Wiki--I know that Discover considers these orders a cash advance and will decline authorization if you're over your cash advance limit. But I have a $6800 cash advance limit with a 0 balance on the card--and a charge for $6007.90 was declined. I tried $3003.95--also declined.

I then called Discover Customer Service and was told that the decline was because AmEx was processing the order as a cash advance. I said OK--I'd like to make the purchase anyway. I pointed out the order was below my cash advance limit and should be approved. The CSR put me on hold for a long time and said she had no way to do that--that I should contact AmEx and have it change the way it processed the transaction so it wasn't a cash advance. I asked again why I couldn't get approval for it AS a cash advance, and she had no answer. She agreed that the card was fine, my credit was fine, my cash advance limit was large enough, there were no blocks on my card--and then once again claimed she could do nothing.

Is this a new policy at Discover or did I reach a clueless CSR?

seahawksunite Jan 2, 2015 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lobachevsky (Post 24091188)
I tried using my Discover card to place an order today. It was declined. Yes, I read the Wiki--I know that Discover considers these orders a cash advance and will decline authorization if you're over your cash advance limit. But I have a $6800 cash advance limit with a 0 balance on the card--and a charge for $6007.90 was declined. I tried $3003.95--also declined.

I then called Discover Customer Service and was told that the decline was because AmEx was processing the order as a cash advance. I said OK--I'd like to make the purchase anyway. I pointed out the order was below my cash advance limit and should be approved. The CSR put me on hold for a long time and said she had no way to do that--that I should contact AmEx and have it change the way it processed the transaction so it wasn't a cash advance. I asked again why I couldn't get approval for it AS a cash advance, and she had no answer. She agreed that the card was fine, my credit was fine, my cash advance limit was large enough, there were no blocks on my card--and then once again claimed she could do nothing.

Is this a new policy at Discover or did I reach a clueless CSR?

Did you talk to a supervisor ?

HikerT Jan 2, 2015 9:56 pm

Discover CA limit does not apply. Just reduce the amount until it goes thru.

OHijAAzi73 Jan 2, 2015 10:19 pm

Tried to use non personalized Biz cards to buy VGC at WM but got denied by the register after entering the 3 digits on the back.....Is this something new?.....I was able to buy a lot last few weeks with no problem using the personalized ones.....Anyone having the same issue?

gloobnib Jan 2, 2015 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73 (Post 24091939)
Tried to use non personalized Biz cards to buy VGC at WM but got denied by the register after entering the 3 digits on the back.....Is this something new?.....I was able to buy a lot last few weeks with no problem using the personalized ones.....Anyone having the same issue?

I've never bought GCs at Walmart with AGC, but you do realize Amex uses a 4-digit security code that is printed on the front of the card (as opposed to the typical 3-digit code on the back of VS/MC), right?

You also may want to double check if they were asking for the security code (typically only requested for Card Not Present transactions) or if it was asking for the last 4 digits of the card # (more typical for retail CC purchases).

haloseven Jan 2, 2015 11:27 pm

Cashback on Amex GC through TopCashBack, BigCrumbs, etc.

Walmart uses on card verification entered on pinpad. No cashier intervention. It's the last 3 on back. Sometimes the Pos hiccups and it works the second time.

OHijAAzi73 Jan 3, 2015 12:39 am

Originally Posted by gloobnib (Post 24092037)
I've never bought GCs at Walmart with AGC, but you do realize Amex uses a 4-digit security code that is printed on the front of the card (as opposed to the typical 3-digit code on the back of VS/MC), right?

You also may want to double check if they were asking for the security code (typically only requested for Card Not Present transactions) or if it was asking for the last 4 digits of the card # (more typical for retail CC purchases).

WM uses the 3 digits on the back of AGC for verification not the 4 numbers on the front...and it was not an issue few weeks ago...hopefully its just a glitch..