Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This thread has begun a new tradition of annual master threads, this one on Visa Buxx. The previous 2003- 2014 megathread is here.

tcook052
MS Forum Moderator

Buxx cards can only be loaded with a Visa or MasterCard.

NW Buxx

•Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053 - ( the promo code appears to be working consistently)
•$2 load fee
•Max load per rolling 7 days: $500
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
•Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
•Max spend per rolling 7 days: $800
•Max # of CC on file is 2.
•Max balance per card: $1000
•Max of 2 loads per CC per 7 day rolling period.

If you card fails to load, check to see if there are at least 7 calendar days between loads, make sure the load won't bring your card above the maximum balance, or try the other CC.

Funding with Citi cards codes as a purchase for NW Buxx.
TD Bank Go Buxx

•Can only be loaded with TD Bank credit cards, debit cards or direct deposit
•Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee
•Max load per day: $500
•Max load per 7 days: $2,000
•Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
•Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
•Max balance: $2,000
•Max transactions: no limit
•Max load per funding TD CC (across multiple teens): $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

TD Bank card loads are treated as purchases by TD Bank and earn points.

Cannot be used to pay CITI or Capital One cards by phone.

States not supported: AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY

USPS MOs count against the ATM withdrawal limit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.

USB Buxx (closed)

USB BUXX is closed:
Last day to load was Oct 24th, 2015.
Last day to use or withdraw all funds Dec 30th.
Cards closed Dec 31st
Transaction History available through 6/30/16

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.

Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
Between simon mall and NWbuxx, I find simon having less hassle for about the same cost. The advantage of SM unlike NW is it doesn't have many restrictions in load/unload. Anyone thinking along the same line?
It's not about the same cost. Yes, if you strictly compare $2 to $3.95. But in % term, the difference is rather significant especially when you start scaling into tens of thousands. Also, driving time and gas cost are not free.
And having name on your debit card is a significant plus esp. if your WM is strict about name checking. And you can also withdraw money should you need it, which you can't do with VGC.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by parioneti
It's not about the same cost. Yes, if you strictly compare $2 to $3.95. But in % term, the difference is rather significant especially when you start scaling into tens of thousands. Also, driving time and gas cost are not free.
And having name on your debit card is a significant plus esp. if your WM is strict about name checking. And you can also withdraw money should you need it, which you can't do with VGC.
^^^ Yes, all very solid points especially the bolded stuff.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:21 pm

Can you guys share your experience with number of loads on a card? Specifically Citi AA (personal)? My original plan of using both personal and business Citi AA cards to split loading 4 cards backfired when Citi Business coded as CA. Now I'm leery of having 8 $502 transactions on my Citi AA personal card that I use sparingly. Is Citi known to shut down for excessive buxx loading?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:30 am
jk2

I added a new BoA card to load one of my buxx. First attempt - failed, says "use another payment source" or something like that. Another attempt - failed. Looked to my BoA account - nothing suspicious, no fraud alert either. Another attempt - failed and no fraud alert. Gave up and used my Arrival+ - it did go through, of course. After some time, BoA calls, aka fraud alert. Lady on the phone says, that they indeed approved first transaction (but according to NWbuxx message it didn't through). She says that I have to contact merchant with authorization code she provided to cancel this transaction. I obviously don't want to call, I don't want to bring attention to my account. Is she correct - will NWbuxx charge me twice for $500 load?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by ed765
I noticed an odd feature of the NW BUXX. After a move I updated my address on their web site. However, this did not change the addresses of the users (who live with me). As

Unless I missed something, there was no way to change the addresses for the teens on my site, nor on their sites. This is surprising since teens rather frequently live with their parents and I would expect they move when they parents do.

I discovered the problem when trying to pay a CITI bill and it would not go through. On a second call, the CSR mentioned a failure of address verification, and it went through with the old address.

Although I have not tried it, I presume that the BUXX CSR representative could change the addresses.

Fortunately, it appears the CITI system did not require the addresses on the paying debit card and on the credit card be the same.
Actually, there is (supposed to be) a way. It's under Manage Teens, Update Teen Profile in the parent account, and Update Profile in the teen account. However, this page does not actually have any editable fields in my accounts. I moved in July, manage 4 teens across 2 accounts, and have been unable to update any of them. I updated the parent address.

For some reason, though, I only have trouble with the address match with Citi about 33% of the time, so they must have 2 different address fields in their database. I just tell them, "Oh, I moved recently, their system must not have updated yet".
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:46 am

Programs: AA
Anyone having trouble with the NW Buxx account site recently?

I can log in fine, but then any time I click any link to manage my account (fund a card, check balance, etc.) I'm just logged off and kicked back to the main NW Buxx landing page. No error message or any information at all. Happens repeatedly.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by chrisremo
Anyone having trouble with the NW Buxx account site recently?

I can log in fine, but then any time I click any link to manage my account (fund a card, check balance, etc.) I'm just logged off and kicked back to the main NW Buxx landing page. No error message or any information at all. Happens repeatedly.
This happened to me yesterday so I tried opening in an incognito window and everything worked fine. After that I deleted my cookies and it opened fine in a regular window too. (Chrome)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fretman
Citi called me regarding my Double Cash card recently and asked me why I was buying prepaid cards (referring to my USBuxx loads), wondering where the payments of 1998.12 were coming from, how I could afford this, and where I was spending the loaded money. Felt like an inquisition.

Anyway, I immediately went online after the call ended and redeemed my accumulated rewards. Don't really care if they close the card at this point with Buxx dead now.
Fretman, how many loads were you charging to your Citi double cash? Did you mix other spend on the double cash or strictly buxx loads? Thanks for sharing this.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by Fretman
Don't really care if they close the card at this point with Buxx dead now.
Is it really dead? What about NW Buxx?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
Is it really dead? What about NW Buxx?
OP was talking about USB Buxx...not NW Buxx.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:08 pm

Hey guys. This is some VBA code I use in my Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my NW buxx withdraws. It is pretty quick and dirty, but it helps me. The rolling amounts for dep/WDs annoyed me so I made this. I treat deposits into Buxx as positive transactions and withdrawals as negative. I'm new here and wanted to give back. May or may not be of any use. You'll obviously have to modify it for your own spreadsheet.

PHP Code:
Sub Main()

Call find_avail_Deposit("A3:A100""G2")

Call find_avail_Withdrawal("A3:A100""H2")

Call find_avail_Deposit("C3:C100""G3")

Call find_avail_Withdrawal("C3:C100""H3")
End Sub

Sub find_avail_Deposit
(amount_Range As Stringtotal_Deposit_Cell As String)

Dim rCell As Range
    Dim rRng 
As Range
    Dim x 
As Integer
    x 
    Set rRng 
Sheet4.Range(amount_Range)

For 
Each rCell In rRng.Cells

If rCell.Value Date 30 And rCell.Offset(01).Value 0 Then
            x 
rCell.Offset(01).Value x
            End 
If

Next rCell
   Range
(total_Deposit_Cell).Value 1000 x
End Sub

Sub find_avail_Withdrawal
(amount_Range As Stringtotal_Withdraw_Cell As String)

Dim rCell As Range
    Dim rRng 
As Range
    Dim x 
As Integer
    x 
    Set rRng 

For 
Each rCell In rRng.Cells

If rCell.Value Date And rCell.Offset(01).Value 0 Then
            x 
rCell.Offset(01).Value x
            End 
If

Next rCell
   Range
(total_Withdraw_Cell).Value 800 x
End Sub 

Last edited by xjship; Oct 29, 2015 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 1, 2015, 9:38 am

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by xjship
Hey guys. This is some VBA code I use in my Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my NW buxx withdraws. It is pretty quick and dirty, but it helps me. The rolling amounts for dep/WDs annoyed me so I made this. I treat deposits into Buxx as positive transactions and withdrawals as negative. I'm new here and wanted to give back. May or may not be of any use. You'll obviously have to modify it for your own spreadsheet.

PHP Code:
Sub Main()

Call find_avail_Deposit("A3:A100""G2")

Call find_avail_Withdrawal("A3:A100""H2")

Call find_avail_Deposit("C3:C100""G3")

Call find_avail_Withdrawal("C3:C100""H3")
End Sub

Sub find_avail_Deposit
(amount_Range As Stringtotal_Deposit_Cell As String)

Dim rCell As Range
    Dim rRng 
As Range
    Dim x 
As Integer
    x 
    Set rRng 

For 
Each rCell In rRng.Cells

If rCell.Value Date 30 And rCell.Offset(01).Value 0 Then
            x 
rCell.Offset(01).Value x
            End 
If

Next rCell
   Range
(total_Deposit_Cell).Value 1000 x
End Sub

Sub find_avail_Withdrawal
(amount_Range As Stringtotal_Withdraw_Cell As String)

Dim rCell As Range
    Dim rRng 
As Range
    Dim x 
As Integer
    x 
    Set rRng 

For 
Each rCell In rRng.Cells

If rCell.Value Date And rCell.Offset(01).Value 0 Then
            x 
rCell.Offset(01).Value x
            End 
If

Next rCell
   Range
(total_Withdraw_Cell).Value 800 x
End Sub 
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:15 am
Jzo

Programs: MileagePlus Gold
Problems

What's up with this? I've failed twice to log in, requested a password twice but received no emails, and now I'm calling CS and it just rings.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Jzo
What's up with this? I've failed twice to log in, requested a password twice but received no emails, and now I'm calling CS and it just rings.
have you tried switching browsers? similar thing happened to me trying to log onto NW on FF but when I switched to Chrome it was working.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Jzo
try incognito browsing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.