Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NoonRadar

Nov 24, 2015

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

We want to let you know that we are making a change to your Target Prepaid REDcard® by American Express, and you will no longer be able to add money from your debit card at Target stores. As always, you can continue to add money to your Prepaid REDcard by using:

• Your debit card online through your Account
• Cash at a Target Store
• Direct Deposit (You can automatically add all or part of your paycheck, government benefits and federal tax refunds to your Prepaid REDcard)

DEAD FOR DEBIT CARD LOADS EFFECTIVE 10/12/2015 - MEMO: http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...uests-can-use/

DEAD FOR CREDIT CARD LOADS. (Amex GCs Included)

Effective May 6, 2015 registers are hard-coded to not allow credit card reload. PIN-based debit cards are working, however YMMV. PIN-based debit cards may be refused by cashiers.

WHAT IS TARGET PREPAID REDCARD?
Prepaid Redcard is a reloadable American Express card. It is only available to purchase at select Target stores.

This site may error when in Firefox, especially with adding payees / bill pay. Customer service says to use Chrome or Internet Explorer.
    https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

PREPAID REDCARD LOAD LIMITS
    Cash (or debit card) loading at Target: ** - $1,000/transaction, $2,500/day and $5,000/month
    Online Debit Card Load * - $200/day and $1,000/month
    Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
    Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
    ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

All "Monthly" limits are per calendar month and reset on the 1st of each month.
    Daily limits reset at midnight Eastern time, 9 PM Pacific time.

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt.

ATM Withdrawals:
    No-fee ATM usage at US Target stores* and U.S. Allpoint network ATMs. (ATM usage not available at any other ATMs.) Find an Allpoint ATM at: www.allpointnetwork.com Note that some ATMs only allow $400/transaction. There is a $750/day and $2,000/month limit to ATM withdrawals.

RedCard is only available in specific Target stores and is not available in all states. Go to this site to find a list of available locations:https://amex.serve.com/prepaidredcard

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: Can I reload a RB at a Target that doesn't sell RB?
    Yes. However, the cashier may not know how to do it. You may be able to coach them through it by saying "It's like reloading a Starbucks (or Gift) card". For step-by-step instructions on one method of 'coaching' new cashiers see Post#1904

Q: Can I buy or reload a RB in North Carolina?
    See post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...a-63.html#2520
    There is currently a software issue preventing any reload of any kind in NC. It is a known issue but there is no ETA on a fix.

Q: Can I reload the RB at any register, or just at the Customer Service desk?
    It can be done at any register, however some cashiers are not trained on how to do this and you may have to go to Customer Service.

Q: What is the most efficient way to drain a RedCard?
    Use BillPay to pay bills. For example, pay the credit card you used to load RedCard with. You can also withdraw money at ATMs.

Q: I cant access the BillPay feature through the RB website!
    Verify that your account information correctly reflects a 10-digit phone number (including area code). Numerous people have reported that their account only had a 7-digit phone number (no area code) and that, after updating to a 10-digit phone number, BillPay miraculously started working.

Q: Can we buy a temporary Redbird card while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    Yes.

Q: How many Redbird cards can you purchase at once?
    You can only purchase one Redbird card a day per SSN. If you plan to purchase more than one, be sure to use a different SSN for each purchase to avoid activation issues.

Q: Can we register our temporary Redbird online while we still have a Bluebird or Serve account?
    No. You will have to cancel your Bluebird or Serve account first before registering.

Q: How do I cancel my BlueBird or Serve Account online? Do I need to call them?
    Frequent Miler posted a useful trick that will help you cancel online How to cancel Bluebird online This works for both BlueBird and Serve.

Q: Cancelled Bluebird, why does registering Redbird error out saying Bluebird is still active?
    If you have open transactions that have not been settled, like BillPay checks that have not yet been cashed, the account cannot settle and will not be truly closed. Thus Target will reject it until it's permanently closed.

Q: Can we get Redbird online?
    No. The only way to get Redbird is to find a participating Target store and buy a temporary card there. Some people have purchased RB on Ebay, Amazon, or through private deals. Be aware that doing so may violate the TOS of one or more of these services. Also be aware that buying an un-activated RB, you are potentially buying "stolen" merchandise; the seller *may* have simply taken the un-activated RB cards from a target store without permission. At best they got permission from a low-level employee; they certainly are not getting permission from someone authorized to allow sale of RB outside of the current Target-authorized roll out markets. It is highly recommended to only buy already activated Redbirds because many Targets which do not offer Redbirds also will not be able to activate them and you will spend a month with the Customer Service line trying to get a new one.

Q: Does the initial load you put in when purchasing the Redbird count against the monthly limit?
    No. After registering the Redbird online, any loads done will count against your monthly limit, even on your temp card.

Q: Can we load Redbird with Target gift cards at Target?NO.
    When loading, the register displays a large message saying that gift cards cannot be used to pay for this transaction.

Q: What are the card’s load limits per transaction at Target?
    [B]As of 2/2/2015 there is a maximum $1,000 load per transaction. You can no longer load the same RB multiple times (multiple swipes) in 1 transaction. Likewise, you can no longer load multiple RBs (say your's and your spouse's) in 1 transaction. Maximum of 1 load, for $1,000 per debit card payment. End of story.

Q: What credit cards can I use to reload RedCard in Target stores?
    NONE. As of May 6, 2015, credit cards cannot be used to reload.

Q: Can I reload with a debit card?
    Yes, but only if the debit card can be authenticated with PIN-number. Signature-based debit that processes on the Visa/MasterCard/AmEx networks will NOT work.

Q: Can I reload with a prepaid debit card or Vanilla Visa?
    Yes, but only if you have a PIN for that card.

Q: How can I load 2 debit cards in one transaction? Example 2x$500.
    1. Swipe debit card on my terminal after total comes up $1000.
    2. PIN pad comes up. Enter 4 digit PIN.
    3. Do you want cash back? press NO
    4. Do you want full amount on this card? press NO <<<Note: I pressed YES and did not have a step 5. - PHLisa
    5. Cashier reads something on register, asks how much on this card. $500. They push something to continue.
    6. Swipe card #2. Enter PIN
    7. Repeat 3 to 5. Total: 0.00
    8. Receipt prints. Thank cashier. The end.
    (thanks to Mamibear)

Q: Can someone else buy a Redbird card for you?
    Yes. When you buy a temp Redbird card at Target, you have to give them your drivers license info, your SSN (can be any set of numbers, does not need to be real), birthdate, and more. Then, you have to register the card online in order to get a permanent card. In the process of registering online, they ask for the birthday of the original buyer on the first screen, but you can put your own and it will still work. Either way, you can still change the details on the following screens. I did this for my wife. I bought the card at Target and used my own driver’s license, SSN, etc. But, when I got home, I registered the card to my wife. I can’t promise this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

Q: Can you reload Serve/Bluebird at Target?
    No.

Q: How do I contact Target's support team to resolve an issue with my RedCard?
    Call Target's Prepaid Resolution Team, their direct telephone number is 800 438 6468 (open from 8AM to 430PM MST).

Q: Can you have both Redbird and AFT cards?
    Yes.
    You can have both Redbird and AFT since they are independent products.

Q: I got a "Pending" notice that the registration is being reviewed, what now?
    Add [email protected] to your address book, and check your spam folder for an email about it. You can also call in. They will need images or faxes of:
    • Social Security Documentation (must clearly show full 9 digit Social Security Number). Choose 1 of the following options:
    ◦ Social Security Card, OR
    ◦ A Medicare insurance card
    Plus...
    • Picture ID
    ◦ A valid driver's license card OR
    ◦ A valid state issued ID OR
    ◦ A valid United States Government ID Card (e.g. Green Card) OR
    ◦ A valid United States Passport (photo page only)

Secure Document Upload
    Here's the link to upload secure documents to REDcard: https://secure.prepaidredcard.com/User/SecureFileUpload
    Print Wikipost

Prepaid REDcard (Target) 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:15 pm

It would be nice to see Target/AmEx shutdown some Redbirds. I rather they do that than them shutting down CC load all together. Hope they stop the same SSNs from being used on Serve/BB also.

There is a reason Target limits the single load to $1000. Folks tried the 3 swipe method, and it got shutdown. Now folks are doing 3 separate transactions. When are people going to learn....
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Originally Posted by justinh20
    The reason the RedCARDs are not loading in NC is because a software update (rolled out to NC stores in different cycles) is identifying Prepaid REDcards as AFTs which are prohibited from reloading in NC and Arkansas
    (portion deleted by iflyjetz for brevity)

Target is aware of the issue, knows the Redbird should be able to load in NC and is working with the Point of Sale technology team to fix the problem. No current ETA on resolution but it goes much higher than the CSRs staffing the number you call on the back of your card and they have no idea about it.

(portion deleted by iflyjetz for brevity)
    Justin, thanks for posting this information. It answers some questions.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about this software issue? It makes sense, but just wondering the source of the information.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:37 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
    In short, we have a common fate when it comes to MS-ing with Redbird not because of principles or because we want to; it just is so (b/c Redbird is a product of two nation-wide companies).
    Not for folks in NC. They don't have a common fate with people who are presently able to load. NC folks are being rejected while everyone else is partying. So if I'm in NC, I will call, kick, scream, pound doors until it gets fixed. If this causes it to get shut down for all, so be it. NC folks are still in the same boat, can't load.

Originally Posted by deant
    I can, and do, expect people to act responsibly. Why do you think the first rule is DO NOT CALL.
    See above.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
    Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
    It would be nice to see Target/AmEx shutdown some Redbirds. I rather they do that than them shutting down CC load all together. Hope they stop the same SSNs from being used on Serve/BB also.

There is a reason Target limits the single load to $1000. Folks tried the 3 swipe method, and it got shutdown. Now folks are doing 3 separate transactions. When are people going to learn....
    I have one Redbird and that's all I'll ever get. That gets me enough MS to meet my goals. No need for me to complicate my life nor to draw attention to myself.

I make one RB transaction at a time and am spacing them out over the month and also use different Targets. Absolutely zero problems once I resolved the Chase fraud alert issue. Chase was fraud alerting on my card for Target transactions with round numbers ... $1000, $950, $750, even as low as $250. I now make odd purchases (ex $992.48) on my Chase Visa to RB and once I'm close to $5K for the month, I use my SPG AmEx to make the last odd number purchase of the month - call it anywhere from $3x.xx to $2xx.xx.

And there's NO WAY I'd do this:
    Originally Posted by AlabamaTraveler
    Has anyone had any issues paying their chase cards from multiple redbirds? I have read a few people on the web saying their cards were closed and claimed due to bill paying with redcard/MS but gave no specifics. I have had no problems loading the cards, and have been bill paying my card.
    That's another huge red flag for Chase. If you're using a Chase card to load your RB, don't pay your Chase bill with RB. That's a closed loop. Find another way to do it. My RB loads are going to my mortgage and sending money to my brokerage account. If I'm ever short on money, I'll move money from my brokerage account over to my checking account. Nothing complicated; I don't need this to look like money laundering as that creates government problems.

The RB MS is drawing quite a bit of attention at Chase and am expecting them to start aggressively auditing/closing accounts of the worst offenders. Losing my Chase CCs isn't worth it so I'll keep working to stay below the radar. As long as there are serial MS abusers out there, I think that my strategy will keep me out of trouble. Once I read more stories of Chase cracking down, I'll reduce my MSing.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:28 pm

If I want to unload my Staples 200$ VGC, how should I do it? Like 5 of them, should I do 600$ load with 3 swipes or should I do 1000$ load and swipe all 5 of them?
    Thanks
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
    Re the matter of closed loop: I realized something else today. Maybe this has already been said, but if it hasn't...

I've figured I could avoid the closed loop by doing this: Load RB1 w/ Chase and billpay Amex. Load RB2 w/ Amex and billpay Chase. Thus not paying the cc that loaded that RB. HOWEVER, what I've realized is that to the cc/bank, RB1 and RB2 are no different. On cc end, they only see RB, which could be RB1 or RB2. Actually, they only see Target (not RB), so maybe none of this matters anyway.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
    Re the matter of closed loop: I realized something else today. Maybe this has already been said, but if it hasn't...

I've figured I could avoid the closed loop by doing this: Load RB1 w/ Chase and billpay Amex. Load RB2 w/ Amex and billpay Chase. Thus not paying the cc that loaded that RB. HOWEVER, what I've realized is that to the cc/bank, RB1 and RB2 are no different. On cc end, they only see RB, which could be RB1 or RB2. Actually, they only see Target (not RB), so maybe none of this matters anyway.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    That's not going to work. I don't know how closely AmEx is watching where payments originate, but I can tell you from my conversations with Chase reps that Target is getting a lot of attention.

Even moving your money from RB to your bank account, then pay your Chase bill is a better choice. Just make sure that you're not banking with Chase. Speaking of which, I've read about people getting all Chase products locked and then cancelled, including checking/savings. I bank with Wells and USAA but don't use their CCs for MS.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
    NC not working

Originally Posted by justinh20
    The reason the RedCARDs are not loading in NC is because a software update (rolled out to NC stores in different cycles) is identifying Prepaid REDcards as AFTs which are prohibited from reloading in NC and Arkansas because NC law does not permit ongoing maintenance fees on prepaid products. AFT has these fees, Redbird does not. See http://www.americanexpress.com/us/co...card/faqs.html Under the "REPEAT" paragraph

Target is aware of the issue, knows the Redbird should be able to load in NC and is working with the Point of Sale technology team to fix the problem. No current ETA on resolution but it goes much higher than the CSRs staffing the number you call on the back of your card and they have no idea about it.

Target is also working on notifying locations within states that have this issue and CSRs (don't count on it though) so they will be in the loop on what the actual problem is rather than speculating. I've heard many stories that it relates to expiration dates on the Redbird or that it will not be permitted in NC at all, etc but that is not accurate.

This has nothing to do with CC reloads or MS'ing or testing usage of the card, etc. It's purely a software problem and it's being fixed. That's not to say those aren't being tracked or assessed by other teams or have other impacts, but the NC loading issue is purely a software problem.

Given the pace at which people post to this thread I doubt I will keep up with any questions about this but PM me if you need to and I'll try to reply.

I updated the wiki as well
    This makes sense. Thank you. The CLT area stores would not work except Gastonia, which then also stopped working in late January. They must have updated the POS systems.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:30 pm

Just loaded in NoVA a few minutes ago! maxed out my PRG and Chase no probs.. the CSR even suggested to come back tomorrow to max out again to top out at $5k for the month lol He tells me there's quite a few people loading up on the redbirds in this area which he found abit odd since there were no Targets close by that sells them.

@iflyjetz - do you feel these people that were getting locked out by Chase were abusing it? ie. have been doing it for quite some time, going well above their income, etc?
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
    Originally Posted by mbfanos
    If I want to unload my Staples 200$ VGC, how should I do it? Like 5 of them, should I do 600$ load with 3 swipes or should I do 1000$ load and swipe all 5 of them?
    Thanks
    I wouldn't do anything that calls attention to the fact that you're an MSer.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
    Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
    So I'm curious: Why do you think that Target has established two separate limits: $1K per load, and $2.5K per day?

IMHO, if they desired that you be limited to only do $1K per day, they wouldn't have setup a separate daily limit that is higher than the single-load limit...
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:29 pm
    Suspended

Originally Posted by gloobnib
    So I'm curious: Why do you think that Target has established two separate limits: $1K per load, and $2.5K per day?
    My gut instinct says that Target made the limit 2.5k per day for folks who actually intend to buy things from Target with the card. Not to deposit 2.5k and then billpay their CC the very same evening. lol
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by gloobnib

IMHO, if they desired that you be limited to only do $1K per day, they wouldn't have setup a separate daily limit that is higher than the single-load limit...
    Because if you walked in with $2500 in cash, Target would be happy to take that from you. Like a truly under banked person would.

Also, AmEx probably just used Serve's setting. It is clear that Target has more control in their IT than Walmart does.
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:40 pm

I'm in Washington and received my permanent card today. I'm going to try and load $1k tomorrow to test the waters as this is my first time. Since I'm in Washington and they don't sell these here yet, should I be armed with some knowledge before going incase they don't know how to load it?
    Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
    That's not going to work. I don't know how closely AmEx is watching where payments originate, but I can tell you from my conversations with Chase reps that Target is getting a lot of attention.

Even moving your money from RB to your bank account, then pay your Chase bill is a better choice. Just make sure that you're not banking with Chase. Speaking of which, I've read about people getting all Chase products locked and then cancelled, including checking/savings. I bank with Wells and USAA but don't use their CCs for MS.
    where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.