FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

ManImCool Dec 18, 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25884682)
I'd presume you'd be safe just doing the online load and nothing else. However, you may not be able to hit minimum spend this way, depending upon timing of when you got the card. It's 90 days from whatever date the card was issued, not when you received it. (Of course that's presuming it's a personal card; no way to hit the $5k for the business version via Serve.)

Some signs suggest Amex is only concerned about MS on the charge (not credit) cards. That was their specific concern with mine. I'd hit SPG really hard. People also regularly report doing $60k+ annually in MS on the DL Reserve card and aren't flagged.

Good to know. I applied for the Amex Plat on Monday; received card yesterday. Online loaded $200 yesterday, $200 today, will make sure I hit $1000 in December, January, and February, but unsure on timing. Should I be good as long as I be sure to load February's $1000 in the beginning of the month? If I'm cutting it close, will Amex care if I just buy maybe $1000 of Simon GCs as a one time thing to hit the spend requirements?

silver6054 Dec 18, 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25884682)

Some signs suggest Amex is only concerned about MS on the charge (not credit) cards. That was their specific concern with mine. I'd hit SPG really hard. People also regularly report doing $60k+ annually in MS on the DL Reserve card and aren't flagged.

Well, quite a few of us with (or now without) the OBC would disagree that Amex is only concerned with MS on charge cards! Although generally the amounts were well above $60K annually.

ManImCool Dec 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054 (Post 25884786)
Well, quite a few of us with (or now without) the OBC would disagree that Amex is only concerned with MS on charge cards! Although generally the amounts were well above $60K annually.

Would the consensus around here agree that 5K a month/60K a year generally be a safe amount to MS on SPG Amex or Delta Platinum Amex if I mix in regular spend as well? Maybe $1000 of random regular spend per month mixed in? Or do I need more regular spend than that for 5K of monthly MS to stay under the radar?

Carl Dec 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by ManImCool (Post 25884775)
Good to know. I applied for the Amex Plat on Monday; received card yesterday. Online loaded $200 yesterday, $200 today, will make sure I hit $1000 in December, January, and February, but unsure on timing. Should I be good as long as I be sure to load February's $1000 in the beginning of the month? If I'm cutting it close, will Amex care if I just buy maybe $1000 of Simon GCs as a one time thing to hit the spend requirements?

Sounds like you should be fine with timing. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for a card to arrive, and then maybe a couple more weeks for the person to decide to begin working on the loads. I don't personally think Amex would care about $1k at Simon, especially during the holidays.

Lumpylump76 Dec 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by ManImCool (Post 25885024)
Would the consensus around here agree that 5K a month/60K a year generally be a safe amount to MS on SPG Amex or Delta Platinum Amex if I mix in regular spend as well? Maybe $1000 of random regular spend per month mixed in? Or do I need more regular spend than that for 5K of monthly MS to stay under the radar?

This is going to depend on your overall credit profile, what your income is, and what your history with AmEx is.

Start slowly, 500-1000 a month, build up gradually. Don't go from 0-5K in 1 week, or even 3 months.

ManImCool Dec 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lumpylump76 (Post 25885532)
This is going to depend on your overall credit profile, what your income is, and what your history with AmEx is.

Start slowly, 500-1000 a month, build up gradually. Do go from 0-5K in 1 week, or even 3 months.

Wait is that a critical typo and you meant to say Don't go? I just started a relationship with Amex this month (regular Plat) and don't even have the Delta Plat yet so I'd obviously start slow when I eventually get the Delta Plat.

Lumpylump76 Dec 18, 2015 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ManImCool (Post 25886860)
Wait is that a critical typo and you meant to say Don't go? I just started a relationship with Amex this month (regular Plat) and don't even have the Delta Plat yet so I'd obviously start slow when I eventually get the Delta Plat.

Don't go. Typo fixed.

prech Dec 19, 2015 3:17 pm

For those with bank accounts connected to Serve, did you encounter any issues adding them to your accounts?

I'd like to add some funds to my Serve, so I tried to link Ally, adding my Serve ACH/account info. After receiving and confirming the trial deposits, Ally told me they wouldn't be able to link the account. I suspect it's because they need both deposit and withdrawal abilities. Anyhow, they wanted some letter from AMEX/Serve specifying the type of account and some identifying information, so I'm going to give up on Ally.

Which banks do support Serve? Maybe we can add this to the Wiki -- unfortunately I've yet to have enough posts

Happy Dec 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by prech (Post 25889768)
For those with bank accounts connected to Serve, did you encounter any issues adding them to your accounts?

I'd like to add some funds to my Serve, so I tried to link Ally, adding my Serve ACH/account info. After receiving and confirming the trial deposits, Ally told me they wouldn't be able to link the account. I suspect it's because they need both deposit and withdrawal abilities. Anyhow, they wanted some letter from AMEX/Serve specifying the type of account and some identifying information, so I'm going to give up on Ally.

Which banks do support Serve? Maybe we can add this to the Wiki -- unfortunately I've yet to have enough posts

Exactly what you mean by "For those with bank accounts connected to Serve"?

The bank account linked to Serve, is WITHIN Serve. It is NOT the way you try to link. That you can link without any issue. In this case the bank account is an external account to Serve. What you are trying to do is the opposite.

As you find out you can NOT use Serve as an external account to be linked to a bank that uses the trial deposits which the bank would withdraw because Serve does not support the ACH Pull.

Besides, you also cannot deposit money into Serve account via a linked bank account within Serve because Serve has stopped this ability about 6 months ago.

You may want to check Serve FAQs first to determine whether Serve even allows you to add fund from external accounts if they even can be linked. AFAIK, the only ways you can add fund to Serve are via "cash" load or direct deposit from payroll / tax refund. And they are subject to a monthly limit.

You can withdraw money from Serve to the linked bank account within Serve.

CRNA Dec 21, 2015 9:40 am

Trying to fund $200 with my USbank Flexperks card. "We're sorry, something went wrong! Please try again." Should I keep trying. Is this a problem with serve or my CC?

Big4Flyer Dec 21, 2015 12:08 pm

Got a Serve Card early this month. Set a recurring load to load $200/day from my AmEx Platinum for 5 days to get to the $1000/max for the month. First charge went through fine, then the next two days got emails saying there were errors, then the last 2 days went through fine. Now whenever I try to load manually I get an error saying "We are unable to process the request right now." Its been saying that every day for the last week. Does that typically mean its an issue on the credit card end or the Serve end?

CRNA Dec 21, 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer (Post 25897841)
Got a Serve Card early this month. Set a recurring load to load $200/day from my AmEx Platinum for 5 days to get to the $1000/max for the month. First charge went through fine, then the next two days got emails saying there were errors, then the last 2 days went through fine. Now whenever I try to load manually I get an error saying "We are unable to process the request right now." Its been saying that every day for the last week. Does that typically mean its an issue on the credit card end or the Serve end?

Not sure on your question, but sounds similar to my problem above.

CRNA Dec 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Found the problem: I'm just really stupid. I was inputting my home address instead of my college address where I switched it to receive my monthly statements. I believe it works now.

jedinkel Dec 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I have my own Serve card and my Girlfriend that lives with me will be getting a Serve card. Can I use my Fidelity AMEX for both accounts without a problem?

tbradnc Dec 21, 2015 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by jedinkel (Post 25899134)
I have my own Serve card and my Girlfriend that lives with me will be getting a Serve card. Can I use my Fidelity AMEX for both accounts without a problem?

A datapoint for you. I have a Serve and my wife has a Serve. We also have joint Fidelity 2% Amex (we each have a card with our respective names on it).

When I added the Fido Amex to her account and tried to do a transfer they blocked that transfer method and a few hours later I got an email asking me to upload a copy of her DL and the front of the Fido Amex.

The same happened to me.. so long story short - unless she has a Fidelity Amex of her own I'm guessing the answer to your question is no.