FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Happy Dec 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 25857206)
Yes, I'm one of those people whose checking account (which I'd only opened for the $300 bonus) was closed after many ATM MO deposits. I hadn't really thought of a CC payment with a teller in the same category. Curious to hear if anyone has actually had issues with paying Chase CC this way. I'd be surprised, although if it's 20k+/mo. or something, that would be different.

I suspect that one of the contributing factors to shutdown is buying MO at WMT, where the documents are always basically unreadable and the amount has to be manually entered. I'm sure when transactions go to manual review frequently, it raises flags.

You should spend some time to read the closure threads such as the 2015 closure thread on this forum, the Chase closure thread and the Citi closure thread in each forum.

Long ago (over 2 even more years) there were already reports that posters received calls from Chase on their MO deposits / payments. It is not the teller interaction. It is how your payments are classified and processed - the system can identify such information and the risk management dept / security dept will get their reports. Eventually the account gets flagged and you are kaput.

sikorloa Dec 14, 2015 1:24 pm

How To Link Non-AMEX Card To Softcard?

Anyone know which exact steps to take to add a non-AMEX credit card to a Softcard account?

I have a Serve Softcard but it's not letting me link a non-AMEX CC (Southwest Visa Premier)

----------------------------
Details:

I know in the wiki it says I can add my Visa Credit Card to load money onto Softcard Serve, and yesterday I put in my Southwest Premier Visa CC information and loaded $20 as a test... today however when trying to load $450, I got the "transaction declined, call credit card issuer" and cleared up with Chase that it was an authorized transaction.

Then when I went back to Serve however to load the $450, the "Add Money" button would just take me to the screen where I manage Credit / Debit cards, it wouldn't let me add any money...

So I deleted the Southwest card and tried to add it again.

However this time I'm getting the message "We’re sorry, you can only link an American Express® credit card to your Serve Account."

Do I need to call in and do it over the phone?

Many thanks

slbnoob Dec 15, 2015 10:56 am

I am going to try paying my property tax and HOA due with Serve by having them mail a check. Anything to look out for? I'm asking because I read on some blog that BB doesn't allow paying taxes.

coronalforce Dec 15, 2015 12:00 pm

when you guys pay bills w/ serve, how many days prior do you send the bill?

rlee1180 Dec 15, 2015 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by coronalforce (Post 25868463)

Thankfully all the places that I wanted to pay with Serve (utilities, other credit cards, and even car loan) all had relationships with Serve, so that when I looked them up when setting up bill pay, they all showed up. That means Serve can send them the payment online, so it would only take about 2-4 business days to process and be received.

bookemdano Dec 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Apologies if this has been covered--I tried searching but came up empty. For the last couple of years I've kept about $20 in my amazon payments account and each month I would withdraw $1 of it to my Serve account. This ACH counted as a direct deposit to waive Serve's monthly fee.

I'm down to my last $1 in my AP account so I logged in today to add more from my confirmed bank account only to see the "Add Funds" option gone. Withdraw is still there but no way to add funds. I looked in settings and both my bank's checking account and my serve account are still listed as confirmed bank accounts.

So I sent an email to AP CS asking what was going on. They responded that as of October 30, 2015 you can no longer add funds to AP from a bank account. That was news to me--never got any e-mail heads up about it (I went back and checked) nor can I find any press release or mention of it online. Even the help section of the web site still references adding funds from a bank account.

I remember about a year ago when the ability to send money via CC to "friends/family" was killed but I had been able to add funds from my bank account earlier this year.

So I mean it's not the end of the world but IIRC the whole reason I used AP to do the $1 ACH to Serve was that I thought I'd read that PayPal transfers weren't counting as a DD. But I could be mistaken about that and so I just thought I'd check to see what method others were using to avoid the monthly fee.

Stivelio Dec 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Is the serve card tied to ssn or a phone number or both? Can I get a card on my kids name who is under 10 yrs old?

Mamibear Dec 15, 2015 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stivelio (Post 25869587)
Is the serve card tied to ssn or a phone number or both? Can I get a card on my kids name who is under 10 yrs old?

Serve and any other prepaid reloadable go by SSN;

No; if you read the T&C, it says 18 y/o and above.

Carl Dec 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by coronalforce (Post 25868463)

The bill pay site tells you the date the payment will be received. If my only goal is to pay by the due date, I'll wait until a day or two before (depending upon the payee) and submit it then. The cutoff time varies by each payee (some are 7 pm ET and others are 9 pm), but you won't see the delivery date until you enter the amount and click to the confirmation screen.

Mamibear Dec 15, 2015 5:48 pm

regarding B/P with Serve, my experience the past several months is if I sent payment on Mon thru Thurs with my payee on the amex databasa, it is received the next day. If I sent payment on Fri thru Sun, I noticed delivery date is Tuesday the following week. I prefer payments sent between Mon thru Thurs for this reason.

with new payees, I send trial payments of $1 to make sure it goes to the proper account and when I've confirmed it, that's the only time I sent huge amounts to pay my CC bills.

So far, so good.

coronalforce Dec 15, 2015 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by rlee1180 (Post 25868920)
Thankfully all the places that I wanted to pay with Serve (utilities, other credit cards, and even car loan) all had relationships with Serve, so that when I looked them up when setting up bill pay, they all showed up. That means Serve can send them the payment online, so it would only take about 2-4 business days to process and be received.

me too, my payment receipts all have relationships w/ serve but im wondering, if i have to make a payment on the 24th for example, do i i send it on the 20th? or the 22nd? I.e if it doesn't get there on the 24th do i get docked?

Happy Dec 15, 2015 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 25870076)
regarding B/P with Serve, my experience the past several months is if I sent payment on Mon thru Thurs with my payee on the amex database, it is received the next day. If I sent payment on Fri thru Sun, I noticed delivery date is Tuesday the following week. I prefer payments sent between Mon thru Thurs for this reason.

with new payees, I send trial payments of $1 to make sure it goes to the proper account and when I've confirmed it, that's the only time I sent huge amounts to pay my CC bills.

So far, so good.

It is the time of the day determines the delivery date. Someone has posted this observation many pages ago and he is right based on my own observation after reading his data point.

Payments requested late in the day get 2 business day delivery time regardless which day of the week. You can schedule a payment in Thursday late afternoon the payment would not be delivered until Monday.

If you request payment in the Friday morning, it gets delivered on Monday. Sat or Sun is always Tuesday because they are not processed until Monday. Therefore Tuesday is the earliest possible day to deliver (the next business day).

Yes I always send a trial payment on new payee before paying the real bill.

Personally I would never request a manual check but only use the electronic payees. Too many unknown can trip up a manual check - even the check arrives the payee correctly, but the payee may not know who sends the check because no payment stub attached, or the payee uses electronic method to process the check and then the check bounces because BB/Serve manual checks cannot be electronically processed, at least that is the case in the past.

People should not use these prepaid accounts as if they are the regular bank accounts for they are not. They are tools in your MS pursuit but you should not use them for your important payments if such payments have to be handled by checks. Nor people should cut it very close to make the payments. If there is any hiccup in the delivery, you are SOL.

savedbyhim01 Dec 16, 2015 1:26 am

Does anyone know if a BBVA (Compass Bank) issued AMEX card (NBA) gives points for Serve loads? Or if it codes as a cash advance?

I have not seen this card mentioned in the Wiki.

MaxVO Dec 16, 2015 1:31 am

Originally Posted by slbnoob (Post 25868076)
I am going to try paying my property tax and HOA due with Serve by having them mail a check. Anything to look out for? I'm asking because I read on some blog that BB doesn't allow paying taxes.

Don't! The risk/reward ratio of those two misallocating your payment will be unacceptably high. It's simpler and safer to drain Serve by electronic payments.

dyst0pia Dec 16, 2015 2:25 am

Originally Posted by st0ne (Post 25856094)
Tried to pay bill, but always return "We’re having some technical difficulties", im sure it's working fine yesterday. Is my account got limited?

Check the phone number in your profile and make sure it's correct.