Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:39 am

Hey guys, I just recently went to my local Walgreens and bought a $500 VGC. I set the pin at my local Walgreens as well. The next day I went to Kate to load up my BB and got a Code 93. Aka "debit not available". The VGC is from US Bank, what should I do next? A few months back I ordered GC's from Staples and had no problem, obviously this GC is an issue. I went this route because it was $4.95 to activate rather than [email protected]=$20.85. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1NiteOwL
Hey guys, I just recently went to my local Walgreens and bought a $500 VGC. I set the pin at my local Walgreens as well. The next day I went to Kate to load up my BB and got a Code 93. Aka "debit not available". The VGC is from US Bank, what should I do next? A few months back I ordered GC's from Staples and had no problem, obviously this GC is an issue. I went this route because it was $4.95 to activate rather than [email protected]=$20.85. All help is appreciated. Thanks.
Did you set a Pin #?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Did you set a Pin #?
Yes. I set it at Walgreens, not Walmart.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:13 am

The next day I went to Kate to load up my BB and got a Code 93. Aka "debit not available".
Vanilla branded GC do not work at WM.

MO Purchases using OV @ WM
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Vanilla branded GC do not work at WM.

MO Purchases using OV @ WM
Thanks vinhboy. So should I just bite the bullet now? I did it because I recently got a Freedom card and it gave me $100 back for spending $500.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:22 am

Thanks vinhboy. So should I just bite the bullet now? I did it because I recently got a Freedom card and it gave me $100 back for spending $500.
Well... you're still up $95 on the deal.

To all, I've read the PIN thread... will I be able to load SPLS rebate cards to BB at WMC? They are Metas, and from PIN thread, last 4 should work (??).
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:25 am

So should I just bite the bullet now?
What do you mean bite the bullet? Your $500 GC is not going anywhere. You have several options: you can still use it as a normal credit card, you can cash it out at Target using a Redbird, or buy MO at grocery stores if they allow you.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by labboypro
To all, I've read the PIN thread... will I be able to load SPLS rebate cards to BB at WMC? They are Metas, and from PIN thread, last 4 should work (??).
Yes, worked for me in the past.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:42 pm

What do you mean bite the bullet? Your $500 GC is not going anywhere. You have several options: you can still use it as a normal credit card, you can cash it out at Target using a Redbird, or buy MO at grocery stores if they allow you.
^ yes, money order at grocery store. I've done it at Kroger for $0.69c. In my case the pin pad is always right in front of you. Just swipe and enter pin#, I've never had to show them the card.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by labboypro
Well... you're still up $95 on the deal.

I never had a problem with the Meta's.
I figured my only choice was to use it as a cc. As for Kroger, I didn't think I had one near me but I do. I just discovered that "Food 4 Less" is a Kroger company. Hopefully that works there. I have to learn more about Redbird.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ICEE45
^ yes, money order at grocery store. I've done it at Kroger for $0.69c. In my case the pin pad is always right in front of you. Just swipe and enter pin#, I've never had to show them the card.
When was the last time you have bought a MO at Krogers? For me it's been 2 weeks but I read that starting (I think) Feb 7th, no more MO's at Krogers with a debet card..
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
When was the last time you have bought a MO at Krogers? For me it's been 2 weeks but I read that starting (I think) Feb 7th, no more MO's at Krogers with a debet card..
I bought one just yesterday. If they do stop accepting visa debit cards there are 2 other chain grocery stores that still work where I live.

Thank you for shopping Kroger!

Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:26 pm

Have never been successful loading any money on Bluebird. Thought for sure today would be the day. Bought a $50 Visa Gift Card at Publix in FL. Issued by Sunrise Bank. Nothing at all about Vanilla or One Vanilla. The package says the last 4 digits are the PIN. The card says "Debit" on the front. Went to Wal-Mart today, the Kate had a message on it along the lines of "Transaction Broker Loading", I could not get that message to clear so I got in line and when I told the CSR I wanted to load this debit card on to my Bluebird he asked me if it had a PIN and I said yes it's the last 4 digits of the card. He looked at the card and said he didn't think I could load it and then he asked the other CSR and she said no because it's a credit card. I said no it's a debit card it says debit right on the card. Then she said it's because Bluebird is a credit card which made no sense at all to me but there was a long line of customers so I left. Can anyone tell me why this didn't work? Thank you.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Alan9573
Can anyone tell me why this didn't work? Thank you.
Here is your problem

I told the CSR I wanted to load this debit card on to my Bluebird he asked me if it had a PIN and I said yes it's the last 4 digits of the card.
You just volunteered information that you did not need to.

The right answer is

Yes
Swipe your card nonchalantly, immediately put it in your pocket, enter the PIN. Smile, say thank you, and be on your way.

You also made another mistake

He looked at the card and said he didn't think I could load it and then he asked the other CSR and she said no because it's a credit card. I said no it's a debit card it says debit right on the card.
The moment they tell you no. Smile, say thank you, walk away.

You will never win an argument with a CSR. The only thing you achieved here is getting another CSR involved, which is another person who will reject you in the future.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ICEE45
I bought one just yesterday. If they do stop accepting visa debit cards there are 2 other chain grocery stores that still work where I live.
It never occurred to me that they had this service. Do they, and the others you're referring to, not accept credit cards for this (like the P.O.)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.