Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:19 am

I usually buy Vanilla gift cards and everything works with a hitch. I bought a US Bank gift card because the most convenient grocery store for me doesn't carry Vanilla. The problem is that I can't use it as a debit card. Even for a candy bar I couldn't get it to get approved. I have tried changing the PIN multiple times and it still didn't work. It works fine as a credit card on Amazon though. I am wondering if there's anything obvious that I missed. Thank you.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by vinhboy
Never heard of a form at Safeway. Usually happens at WM or OM. However, at safeway, if you buy more than $499, it requires a manager override.

Which is a pain for the manager, and customers behind you. So do them a favor and always buy $499 less (including fees).
While I think that's a great idea, I can't look past the awkward red flag it would be loading exactly $499 at Walmart at the register. Maybe I'm over thinking it but it feels like the wrong way to go. I'd prefer having a Safeway manager come out to over ride than deal with questions from the WM cashier (Kate is never up).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Did anyone else see this?

http://outandout.boardingarea.com/co...h-reloads-nyc/

It looks like there's a great new way to MS at CVS with PayPal!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
Did anyone else see this?

http://outandout.boardingarea.com/co...h-reloads-nyc/

It looks like there's a great new way to MS at CVS with PayPal!
There is absolutely nothing new in that post. Read the PayPal thread before you get too excited. PayPal will send you a nasty warning email, then shut you down and hold your money for 6 months.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: Regal Crown Club
Originally Posted by Lumpylump76
There is absolutely nothing new in that post. Read the PayPal thread before you get too excited. PayPal will send you a nasty warning email, then shut you down and hold your money for 6 months.
Forget what he said! Everything about the Paypal cards is great if you can get them with a CC which is kinda tricky. Well except that they'll go away starting in April...
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Wrong! It would be posted here and 2 days later it would be a thing of the past...
Well then it wouldnt be ongoing would it
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:45 pm

Talking Thank you, and help me understand how......

Originally Posted by Julian Brennan
Of course you can if he accepts it. But either of you would have to pay the fees which are ~3%. If he'd be ok with that he might as well accept the CC right away. The fee's about in the same ballpark. Or you could go and buy a couple giftcards, load them to a prepaid card of your choice and have them send a check to your payee...
I don't understand how you buy a gift card and then load them to a prepaid card and then have them send a check to my payee. So very grateful for the information!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Larockies
I don't understand how you buy a gift card and then load them to a prepaid card and then have them send a check to my payee. So very grateful for the information!
Do some reading on the Redbird and bluebird threads. Both are prepaid accounts with a card. They both offer a bill pay service that will pay your payees, even though it may not be an actual check.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:31 pm

Redbird vs Bluebird

Originally Posted by MG49
Do some reading on the Redbird and bluebird threads. Both are prepaid accounts with a card. They both offer a bill pay service that will pay your payees, even though it may not be an actual check.
I've been waiting for the Redbird Card to be available in my area to purchase. What's the difference b/w the two? Should I just get a Bluebird? Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Larockies
I've been waiting for the Redbird Card to be available in my area to purchase. What's the difference b/w the two? Should I just get a Bluebird? Thanks!
Redbird is from Target. You can load it directly from a CC. It has a billpay feature that can be used to pay off the CC. It can also be loaded with debit gift cards.

Bluebird is from Walmart. Same bill pay feature, and you can get checks to write from the account. However, no direct CC loads. You can load with debit gift cards. Some Walmarts have a kiosk (Kate) that you can load the account at without even going to a cashier.

Both accounts are from AmEx, you cannot have both under one name/SSN. What to get depends on your situation and what's closer and easier for you.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:42 am

Just read through this thread and looked at the Southwest cards wiki as well and although I'm somewhat getting the gist of how to do manufactured spending, I am still unsure of the details and hope my posting in this newbie thread will provide some help.

First off, thank you to all of you who are tirelessly providing information and tips to others and figuring out ways to do this so that we can all benefit. Really appreciate it.

Now, my situation -- I have been approved for 2 Southwest Visa credit cards. Both will be giving 50,000 points each if I can spend $2000 per card in 3 months (so total of $4k). My normal spending will not cover that so I am looking for ways to increase to the $4k total.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I am not in a hurry and can use the entire 3 months to do the spending. I have read about some Walmart Kate kiosk but am not sure exactly of the flowchart? Do I use the Southwest cards to buy gift cards at Walmart and then somehow get cash back with those gift cards?

Also I have a pre-existing balance of $2400 on an American Express credit card which I was ready to pay off in full this month from my bank account -- should I not do that and somehow use the new credit cards to pay that off?

Any suggestions or tips are very welcome, thank you so much!

Last edited by Rehan; Jan 22, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Rehan
Just read through this thread and looked at the Southwest cards wiki as well and although I'm somewhat getting the gist of how to do manufactured spending, I am still unsure of the details and hope my posting in this newbie thread will provide some help.

First off, thank you to all of you who are tirelessly providing information and tips to others and figuring out ways to do this so that we can all benefit. Really appreciate it.

Now, my situation -- I have been approved for 2 Southwest Visa credit cards. Both will be giving 50,000 points each if I can spend $2000 per card in 3 months (so total of $4k). My normal spending will not cover that so I am looking for ways to increase to the $4k total.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this? I am not in a hurry and can use the entire 3 months to do the spending. I have read about some Walmart Kate kiosk but am not sure exactly of the flowchat? Do I use the Southwest cards to buy gift cards at Walmart and then somehow get cash back with those gift cards?

Also I have a pre-existing balance of $2400 on an American Express credit card which I was ready to pay off in full this month from my bank account -- should I not do that and somehow use the new credit cards to pay that off?

Any suggestions or tips are very welcome, thank you so much!
I suggest you read the Bluebird/RedBird/Serve threads which are all amex prepaid reloadable cards. After you make the choice on which one is best for you, next step is to buy the Visa GCs to load to them. Among the 3, you can load RedBird DIRECTLY using your CC (as of today, but anything can change so check for updates daily). That way, you can meet your minimum spend w/o buying GCs. Right now, RedBird is not available at all Targets but there are ways to get one and you can read the details on the RedBird thread.

If RedBird is not for you, you can choose Serve or Bluebird, both of them you can load at WM kiosk, money center or regular registers. These 2 can also be loaded with a certain amount using CCs or DCs online. Read corresponding threads for more info.

regarding your existing balance with Amex, once you have your BB or Serve, you can use the BillPay feature and pay it from there. If you do this, you will be able to drain the balance in your account while paying off your amex bill.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:30 am

Thank you so much Mamibear. I will definitely go through those threads.

One follow up question -- if I have already applied for a Serve card, is it too late for me to get a RedBird? Do you only get to have one and have to pick between Serve, or BB, or RedBird? I read something that alluded to this fact but just wanted to confirm. If so I guess I am stuck with Serve as I applied online for a Serve card yesterday.

Thank you again.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I see that RedBird isn't available at Targets in California, so looks like Serve will have to be my MS weapon of choice.

Thank you.

Last edited by Rehan; Jan 22, 2015 at 9:18 am
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:29 am

Since all are amex products, you can only register for one using SSN. It is not limited to one per household so your spouse or SO can also register for one.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Rehan
EDIT: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I see that RedBird isn't available at Targets in California, so looks like Serve will have to be my MS weapon of choice.

Thank you.
They are not, BUT they are in Tuscon and the Red Cards can be loaded at ANY target... HINT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.