Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by the_fox
Ugh, I messed up today - I haven't MS in a while, and today I only found the Style Everywhere GCs at OD. Is there a surefire way to drain them these days? I read reports from last year, those were hit or miss.
Walmart NM and Super Wallys only.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Thanks, will try tomorrow at Super.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by DeaconY
Previously, yes. But chase upped my CL on my third Ink and the first two have already been maxed at office supply for the year. Just a few K to go for the year on #3 .
I meant whether you max the CL for the month/statement when the deal is announced. I got closed to with Ink this time around but still didn't feel comfortable totally maxing it out. I was concerned that if a human looked at both long term and short term activity, it would be highly unusual (kind of low overall then boom, many repeat transactions at same 5x store within a couple of days). Here's hoping they won't look or wont care, as it is it would def stand out anyhow, probably for many of us.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I meant whether you max the CL for the month/statement when the deal is announced. I got closed to with Ink this time around but still didn't feel comfortable totally maxing it out. I was concerned that if a human looked at both long term and short term activity, it would be highly unusual (kind of low overall then boom, many repeat transactions at same 5x store within a couple of days). Here's hoping they won't look or wont care, as it is it would def stand out anyhow, probably for many of us.
I meant that I used to get close to maxing my credit line but chase increased my CL so nown t would be nearly impossible to max it during one of these promos. Plus I don't need to push the limit as I'm approaching the yearly cap.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:48 am

Found Amex Simplycash coded some OD as wholesale not Office supplies.

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by vodafone
Oh geez, you're right. That blows. Could it be based on the type of card being purchased? I bought GE's.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:21 am

My guess is Store matters. I bought same cards from two stores, one coded as office supplies the other wholesale.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Oh geez, you're right. That blows. Could it be based on the type of card being purchased? I bought GE's.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:45 am

I appreciate this heads up so I checked how it posted on my ASC. This is what I saw for all purchases that have already posted from Sunday:

Category Business Services - Office Supplies

VISA,5% CASH BACK,$20-200
INCOMM FEES 1

For the MCGCs last week, I will have to monitor and see if I got 5% for them since it doesn't say the 5% CB on them like it does for VisaGCs.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:53 am

same here. 4k of my 12k spend is coded as wholesale. .... me. hoping it still gets 5% but not holding my breathe
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:26 am

I'm not going to worry about it too much since Amex specifically lists Office Depot as eligible for the office supply stores category.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...ness.html#ROSP
Old Apr 11, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
I appreciate this heads up so I checked how it posted on my ASC. This is what I saw for all purchases that have already posted from Sunday:

Category Business Services - Office Supplies

VISA,5% CASH BACK,$20-200
INCOMM FEES 1

For the MCGCs last week, I will have to monitor and see if I got 5% for them since it doesn't say the 5% CB on them like it does for VisaGCs.
i think that is referring to the type of vgc you bought... a five back vgc.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:08 am

I think I remember seeing that on some of my pending charges from OM, but once posted showed up as OSS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:45 am

I checked my posted charge. Purchase from one specific OD store are categorized as Wholesale while Purchase made from other OD or Staples are Office supplies.

So I guess it is something wrong with THIS specific store, which I shall skip from now on.

Originally Posted by shadow520
I think I remember seeing that on some of my pending charges from OM, but once posted showed up as OSS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:47 pm

For those of you who can unload DE at your local wally, have you had any issues liquidating the other E (GE & SE) ones there?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:04 pm

Latest in the never ending saga of "Arbitrary restrictions on buying gift cards and the completely fabricated reasonings for making it cash only......"

Me: I'd like to buy these gift cards
OD cashier: You know you can't use anything but cash, right?
Me: No I didn't. Does that apply for any amount on any gift card?
OD cashier: Ummmm. Yes. Well, let me ask my manager. [calls manager to check out desk]
OD cashier: He wants to buy gift cards. He has to use cash right.
Manager: Yes.
Me: Is that for every gift card? No matter the amount?
Manager: Right.
Me: May I ask why? I don't usually carry cash and I'd like to buy these today if possible.
Manager: We've had people use stolen credit cards to buy thousands of dollars in gift cards.
Me: How can they steal the credit cards and use them in person. Don't you require people to show their ID's when making large purchases?
Manager: It's against the law to make people show ID's to purchase things.
Me: I didn't know that. Are you sure? That doesn't seem right.
Manager: Yep. It's the law. We're not allowed to ask for any form of ID.
Me: I guess you just can't trust people anymore these days. I guess I won't be getting these then. Oh well.
Manager: Sorry.

#1 I never even told the cashier or manager how much I wanted to put on the gift cards
#2 The manager seemed completely convinced of the reasoning... or at least had an amazing poker face.

Who the hell comes up with this stuff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.