FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Wells Fargo Platinum 5X Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2014-2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1623803-wells-fargo-platinum-5x-grocery-gas-drugstores-2014-2015-a.html)

rtraveler Nov 15, 2014 6:11 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 23764416)
I've had this card for almost six months, coming to end of promo period. I've put through about $50k in purchases per month, on a $20k CL. My usual mode of payment has been through the WF site, pulling from my WF checking account, paying the current outstanding balance, although I have also BP from BB a few times.

I usually got a fraud alert if I spend more than $3k per day, which I tried to avoid. Pretty simple to clear, didn't have to deal with any humans along the way.

$50k/mo? That's a lot of gc purchases at the drugstore/grocery store. I can get $50k worth of GC's but not at the drugstore/grocery store. Did you do the cash back or points?

Gustraveler Nov 15, 2014 1:17 pm

Change in 5x Terms--excludes "store gift cards"

Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. Not sure how they would enforce that necessarily unless they could know what exactly you were buying. Also, it seems like a vague term to say "store" gift cards. But just thought I would report this since I noticed it. My 6 months just ended but probably getting one for the wife.

fappi Nov 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota (Post 23826515)
That answer is on the Wells Fargo website. It's quite clearly displayed on the card features

Would you look that up and get back to me prior to the end of the business day Monday with the answer? Thanks a bunch!

JoJo12 Nov 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gustraveler (Post 23846776)
Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. .

In what form did you get that notice? I just finished my first month and that would be a bummer. If so, I need to re-prioiritze my time for the next 2 months!

tuphat Nov 16, 2014 8:38 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 23845364)
$50k/mo? That's a lot of gc purchases at the drugstore/grocery store. I can get $50k worth of GC's but not at the drugstore/grocery store. Did you do the cash back or points?

Not really. Even with new restrictions, pretty easy to spend $2000 per day, esp. if you hit different stores. For me, cash is king, I have enough points/miles.

tuphat Nov 16, 2014 8:40 am

Originally Posted by JoJo12 (Post 23848520)
In what form did you get that notice? I just finished my first month and that would be a bummer. If so, I need to re-prioiritze my time for the next 2 months!

It was in a pamphlet included in statement mailing, along with other changes in terms. Time will tell if they can drill down into individual transactions at, say, CVS, and determine if GCs are being purchased. I'm betting they can't or won't.

rtraveler Nov 16, 2014 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 23849744)
Not really. Even with new restrictions, pretty easy to spend $2000 per day, esp. if you hit different stores. For me, cash is king, I have enough points/miles.

On second thought, the CVS's have tons of OV's but since they are a headache to use at Walmart, I dont want to bother. The PP mycash cards are easy to liquidate but that's capped at $4k/mo and most CVS's and RA's are out of stock.

Are you using Wally to liquidate the OV's?

JoJo12 Nov 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Gustraveler (Post 23846776)
Just got a notice and change in terms for the 5% Rewards Card. Now it says that excluded from 5x rewards at GGD stores are "store gift cards." Starting January 15, 2015. .

Thanks Gustraveler. I just signed into my WF account and the notice was there, but it says NO rewards for cash equivalents such as "store gift cards". I will try one VGC at the grocery store after Jan 15 and see what happens when the next statement posts. From other threads it does look like they can see what you are buying, as if the amount doesn't speak for itself!

Is this a big enough deal that we should make ask the mod to change the title of this thread or create a new thread?

tuphat Nov 17, 2014 4:45 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 23851105)
On second thought, the CVS's have tons of OV's but since they are a headache to use at Walmart, I dont want to bother. The PP mycash cards are easy to liquidate but that's capped at $4k/mo and most CVS's and RA's are out of stock.

Are you using Wally to liquidate the OV's?

No WMs in my immediate area, I usually buy MOs at grocery stores.

rtraveler Nov 17, 2014 5:41 am

Originally Posted by tuphat (Post 23853591)
No WMs in my immediate area, I usually buy MOs at grocery stores.

Thanks for the info, the only place I can get MO's in my area are at Wally's so that's a no go for me.

tuphat Nov 17, 2014 8:35 am

Originally Posted by rtraveler (Post 23853722)
Thanks for the info, the only place I can get MO's in my area are at Wally's so that's a no go for me.

Surprising that there's not at least one grocery store accepting debit for MOs in your area. Maybe purchase Meta VGCs, which will likely work at WM.

Gustraveler Nov 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JoJo12 (Post 23851973)
Thanks Gustraveler. I just signed into my WF account and the notice was there, but it says NO rewards for cash equivalents such as "store gift cards". I will try one VGC at the grocery store after Jan 15 and see what happens when the next statement posts. From other threads it does look like they can see what you are buying, as if the amount doesn't speak for itself!

Is this a big enough deal that we should make ask the mod to change the title of this thread or create a new thread?

I think I've heard of similar language used by other CCs, but I would be shocked if WF could actually see that is what you were buying. Personally, I have not read of anyone getting rejected for points from something like that, but maybe it has happened. Unless you told them that's what you were buying, I don't think it will be an issue, but we'll find out I guess. And WF is somewhat incompetent anyways. I've dealt with them for the last 6 months. And my wife will be dealing with them for the next 6, sort of.

sunspotzsz Dec 2, 2014 7:41 pm

i am wondering what's the best way to redeem these points

MaxVO Dec 3, 2014 11:22 pm

I got the bad news in the mail today, concerning the revised terms of the reward program. Besides the GC exclusion, it's full of other nasty surprises including account closure triggers, point forfeiture, and taxability of rewards. By the way, the online T&C version is still the old one dated 2013.

exarkun Dec 4, 2014 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 23939695)
I got the bad news in the mail today, concerning the revised terms of the reward program. Besides the GC exclusion, it's full of other nasty surprises including account closure triggers, point forfeiture, and taxability of rewards. By the way, the online T&C version is still the old one dated 2013.

I just got a new card in the mail yesterday and didn't see any of this. I'll look closer when I get home.