Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:15 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jediwho
Never filed a police claim before. How much time does it take and do you have to go to a police station? What information did they ask?
Yes, I went the police station. It took a while because there were 8 cards, most of which I'd given away at Christmas and used to pay people. So we didn't realize there was fraud until my so-called $200 Christmas gift or payment only had $30 or so on the cards. Most of the fraud was big ticket items at HomeDepot (.com), all back to back on the same day at 4:30ish am. There were a couple of smaller purchases on one or two cards that were also fraudulent. So the officer and I had to go through each print out, one by one, and look at what was fraud and what was legit. It took about 45 minutes. If you've just got one card, it should be quick.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Yes, I went the police station. It took a while because there were 8 cards, most of which I'd given away at Christmas and used to pay people. So we didn't realize there was fraud until my so-called $200 Christmas gift or payment only had $30 or so on the cards. Most of the fraud was big ticket items at HomeDepot (.com), all back to back on the same day at 4:30ish am. There were a couple of smaller purchases on one or two cards that were also fraudulent. So the officer and I had to go through each print out, one by one, and look at what was fraud and what was legit. It took about 45 minutes. If you've just got one card, it should be quick.
Anyone has thoughts on whether a police report helps in situations like this? Also, at what point should one file a police report? Before or after filing the paperwork with the card issuer and also before or after with CFPB?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:12 am

I called them and the CSR said two weeks.
Ok, so wait and then do what they say to do.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:16 am

How long does the replacement or denial take ?
Up to 45 days, AFTER you fax/submit the affidavit.

Last edited by Alcibiades; Feb 29, 2016 at 10:38 pm
Old Feb 29, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Update: 2 of my cards will be reimbursed, 2 are waiting for the investigator to sign off on reimbursement, and 4 are still in the queue. It's been a little less than 60 days.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:26 pm

wow, that's pretty scary, I guess that's why I was told stop one was to buy the VGC, and then immediately drain it.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I filed a dispute around January 1, for 8 cards from the same Staples, that all had fraud. I haven't heard back. I did file a police claim, too. How long does the replacement or denial take?
I think, at least for US Bank-issued gift cards, it took a few weeks.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I bought a $500 prepaid GC last week. Unfortunately, the card was not loaded properly and I had to fax the issuer my card number with receipt of my purchase. I got a call from them within 20 minutes of faxing it that they have loaded my card with $500 (this was on Friday). I was traveling on Saturday and checked my GC and pretty much most of the $500 has been drained by purchaes at Circle K and CVS.

Has anyone gone through this and what steps do I need to take to resolve this?
This happened to me this week, bought 4 x $500 GSs that were properly activated, called and faxed picture of front, back and activation receipt.

The next day the cards were active, went to RA to load and would not load, had 2 $300 cards that did load. Called US Bank and found the cards had been used at a Daniels Jeweler.

Going to Ralphs and notify them. Is a police report or the CFPB report the next step while I wait for US Bank?

I successfully got about 8 cards from this Ralphs in the past few weeks before this.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
This happened to me this week, bought 4 x $500 GSs that were not properly activated, called and faxed picture of front, back and activation receipt.
NOT PROPERLY ACTIVATED = compromised in some way.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:20 am

Is a police report or the CFPB report the next step while I wait for US Bank ?
Neither
Old Mar 10, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I notified the store manager, he thinks fraudsters shoplift the cards, tamper with the strips, reglue the packaging and replace them in the racks. Waiting for them to be properly activated and then drain them.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:39 pm

That is what they did last year; some other strategies have emerged recently. But end result is the same, unless you use it within 6 hours, a drained card.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 1:22 pm

Is a police report or the CFPB report the next step while I wait for US Bank?
I tried to file with the Police, I was told its a civil matter and should file claim in court. I don't remember the details of the case but was similar.....(implied too busy to spend the resources for small matters)
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:09 pm

This happened to me this week, bought 4 x $500 GSs that were properly activated, called and faxed picture of front, back and activation receipt.

The next day the cards were active, went to RA to load and would not load, had 2 $300 cards that did load. Called US Bank and found the cards had been used at a Daniels Jeweler.

Going to Ralphs and notify them. Is a police report or the CFPB report the next step while I wait for US Bank?

I successfully got about 8 cards from this Ralphs in the past few weeks before this.
If your card was not properly activated, it would be better to call Kroger on the activation receipt to get the cards activated right away and drain them right away. No need to call US Bank and deal with faxing and not knowing when the card would be activated.

You need to call US bank and file a dispute and just wait. I received a letter within a couple weeks saying they will replace my card. Then they just sat on their hands for a few months. Every time I called for update there was no info and no timeline on when the replacement card would be sent. the last time I called I was told that the card wasn't sent out and they needed supervisor approval. I finally got the replacement card a few weeks later minus another $5.95 activation fee.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by svsfan
I finally got the replacement card a few weeks later minus another $5.95 activation fee.
If you call them, they will remove the duplicate activation fee... it wasn't your fault the card was compromised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.