Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: phant0m
************Gift Card Fraud Alert************

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

How can I protect myself?

1) Do not buy a card that has been opened or looks tampered with. Inspect all packaging thoroughly before purchasing. Many posters say that the packaging looks pristine, but the glue seems excessive once opened. Open the package to inspect the glue before you pay for it, if the cashier allows that.

2) Use the card quickly. The card has no value until YOU add money. If you spend your funds before the fraudster figures out that it's loaded, you win. Or at least register your card. That might give you another layer of security but beware it might NOT be bulletproof.

3) Keep your receipts and packaging until your card is liquidated. You will need the receipt to make a claim.

I'll add a few more from the school of hard knocks (also now known as the school of the paranoid MSer)....

4) If it's the only card of its type left on the rack, should you buy it or not? Consider: did the fraudster remove all the other cards so some sucker would quickly come along quickly and buy the card he has placed there purposefully?

5) A corollary to #4: Should you buy the top card in a stack of cards, or dig deeper and pick out one a distance from the top? Did the fraudster put the card he wants some sucker to buy at the top of the stack so it would sell quickly and he could do his evil deed?

6) Open card packages soon after purchase. Don't wait a few days. If anything looks amiss (too much glue inside the pack, too little glue inside, glue in the wrong location, mag stripe doesn't look right, some card numbers illegible), call the 800 number on the back of the card immediately to report it and ask about a replacement.

Each link of Gift Card MS:

1. Gift Card issuer: Vanilla, Metabank, US Bank, Green Dot etc. There can be data hack. It is rare.
2. GC Merchant: grocery and drug stores. Online GC sellers (Simon Mall, Gift Card Mall etc.). The data hack is possible, but rare.
3. Shipping: GCs can be stolen. But this is not fraud.
4. GC Cash Out: Walmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar, CVS etc. This is very rare.

For unsold GCs with bar code exposed, the store is required to destroy the GCs. Fraud can happen when the unsuspecting store staff return the unsold GCs back to the shelf. But it is very rare to have a batch of GCs all tampered and returned to the store shelf.

Here is a web site with information about gift card fraud:

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-sec...-so-lucrative/

Here are some stores where FT members have experienced fraud:

List of Stores to avoid or be Alert:
(1) Reported by IWOL in So Cal:
VONS => Ventura Blvd & Reseda

Reported by Lovenola:

Ralph's in Downey at 9200 Lakewood Blvd.

Ralph's in Pasadena at 211 E. Foothill Blvd.

Ralph's in Monrovia at 1193 Huntington Dr.

3) Reported by domino007

Ralphs in 13321 Jamboree Rd, Tustin

Ralphs in Irvine on Alton, Walnut and Irvine Blvd

Reported by DaveInLA:
Ralphs in Brea- 305 W Imperial Hwy. VGC was purchased in 12/2014.

Reported by 46sky:
Ralphs in Culver City on Venice Blvd - VGC purchased 2/2015.

Reported by Chrisflyer66:
Ralphs in San Diego on Sports Arena - VGCs purchased in 2014-2015.

Ralph's - 1435 W Chapman Ave, Orange, CA 92868 - Purchased 12/2019

Seems to me that only People in so.Cal are reporting
Print Wikipost

Gift Card Fraud !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Lucky888
So, what is cutoff dollar threshold before any of you would risk lighting your card on fire by just disputing the charges instead of dealing with the gift card claims process BS? I am thinking mine is around $10k, but I'm not sure. It would also be card dependent of course.
~$5-10K @ 14days-1month waiting time, I would file a police report and dispute the charge after informing the provider I planned to do so within a few days if the issue was not resolved.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:30 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Lucky888
So, what is cutoff dollar threshold before any of you would risk lighting your card on fire by just disputing the charges instead of dealing with the gift card claims process BS? I am thinking mine is around $10k, but I'm not sure. It would also be card dependent of course.
Do you mean dispute with Chase or Amex, etc? The bank that issues the card you used for the purchase of the gift cards?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
~$5-10K @ 14days-1month waiting time, I would file a police report and dispute the charge after informing the provider
whatever store you bought the card at is the provider
Old Jan 27, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
whatever store you bought the card at is the provider
Hmm, I guess I never considered that angle, the fact that the specific store would have to deal with a chargeback.. For a local store, my number would probably increase a bit, and the police report would come sooner..

I would endeavor to keep the store out of it as long as possible, other than perhaps just letting them know I had gotten some compromised cards from them.

Tough question.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:36 pm

My $500 VGC purchased from a Ralphs in SoCAL was used to buy something online at Walmart. When I called Walmart, they said they could not help me at all, even after I offered to give all the info on the Prepaid VGC.

How is it that Walmart cannot tell me where the card was used?

I called the number on the card the same day while the charge was pending and they said they could not stop the charge from going through. I could not use the VGC at all.

I raised a dispute on the same call and they keep on sending me paper to sign and then they don't receive it. 3rd time I faxed it over and they said I have exceeded the 60 day period for dispute.

The most concerning thing is that the card was in pristine condition. I have been very careful with these cards after reading this thread, so I detected the fraud right while it was happening but I still could not stop loosing money.

When I called thie number and escalated the call, the supervisor said according to them the charges were authorized. I asked them if they could give me any information about the purchase and they said they knew as much as I did. When I asked them how they could figure out the charges were authorized just by looking at a $500 purchase at Walmart.com without knowing where and when the purchase was made from and shipped to, they said they did not have that information.

At this point I am not even sure who except MS'rs use this card as this is a surefire way to loose money.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:42 pm

I would CFPB at that point. You've made an effort in good faith.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by newgraduate2013
When I called Walmart, they said they could not help me at all, even after I offered to give all the info on the Prepaid VGC.

How is it that Walmart cannot tell me where the card was used ?
Walmart cannot disclose such information to an unknown party; as far as they know, you could be the fraudster.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by newgraduate2013
I called the number on the card the same day while the charge was pending and they said they could not stop the charge from going through.

I raised a dispute on the same call and they keep on sending me paper to sign and then they don't receive it. 3rd time I faxed it over and they said I have exceeded the 60 day period for dispute.
You "disputed" on the date that you first called. Just keep faxing.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Fraudulent transactions on my prepaid gift card

I bought a $500 prepaid GC last week. Unfortunately, the card was not loaded properly and I had to fax the issuer my card number with receipt of my purchase. I got a call from them within 20 minutes of faxing it that they have loaded my card with $500 (this was on Friday). I was traveling on Saturday and checked my GC and pretty much most of the $500 has been drained by purchaes at Circle K and CVS.

Has anyone gone through this and what steps do I need to take to resolve this?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by jediwho
I bought a $500 prepaid GC last week. Unfortunately, the card was not loaded properly
It was loaded properly, but it was frozen/not-properly-activated. Get a replacement in such situations, not Activation.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by jediwho
I bought a $500 prepaid GC last week. Unfortunately, the card was not loaded properly and I had to fax the issuer my card number with receipt of my purchase. I got a call from them within 20 minutes of faxing it that they have loaded my card with $500 (this was on Friday). I was traveling on Saturday and checked my GC and pretty much most of the $500 has been drained by purchaes at Circle K and CVS.

Has anyone gone through this and what steps do I need to take to resolve this?
That happened to me before. So now if I ever get a card that doesn't activate properly I ask for a replacement instead of just having them activate the card I already have.

I think at this point, you need to contact the card issuer (phone number should be on the back of the card) and explain what happened. They will probably send you paperwork to file a dispute. If they deny your dispute, then you might want to submit a complaint to CFPB. That is what got my money back.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
If they deny your dispute, then you might want to submit a complaint to CFPB. That is what got my money back.

I filed a dispute around January 1, for 8 cards from the same Staples, that all had fraud. I haven't heard back. I did file a police claim, too. How long does the replacement or denial take?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
I filed a dispute around January 1, for 8 cards from the same Staples, that all had fraud. I haven't heard back. I did file a police claim, too. How long does the replacement or denial take?
I called them and the CSR said two weeks.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:56 am

Thanks to ChrisFlyer, I looked this up as my next step:
http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/#credit-card
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Never filed a police claim before. How much time does it take and do you have to go to a police station? What information did they ask?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.