MO Purchases using OV @ WM

    Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 29, 14, 7:26 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: prasha11
Wiki Link
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.



Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 19, 15, 11:52 am
  #3661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,171
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Anyone heard of the MO machine down for more than 2 days at a WMT?
asked the cashier whats wrong, she says 'I punch in and nothing happens' sounds strange to me.....

connection issues?
I ran into this multiple times. Can be anything from the line in or out,to a problem with the printer (usually the case) among others. If they cant get it fixed on their own (and usually it takes a mgr with the proper keys) then they have to wait for service to arrive

No different then a problem with your phone or cable , CSr will try and talk you thru a fix a few different ways if necessary and if nothing works sets up an apt for service to come to you, lucky if they get to you within a few days, so why is this any different
craz is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 12:05 pm
  #3662  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 285
Originally Posted by member7777 View Post
The part about someone following her isn't. My CCW license makes me feel a little better about kate squaking "$500" every 2.2 minutes.
You gotta love when the clerk at CVS loudly says "Your total comes to $2000."
littleconsumer is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 12:27 pm
  #3663  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 292
Originally Posted by littleconsumer View Post
You gotta love when the clerk at CVS loudly says "Your total comes to $2000."
I always worry someone is going to "pay me a visit" when I am in the parking lot unboxing the cards and getting ready to go get MOs.
AndrewTheMan is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 1:31 pm
  #3664  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angles
Posts: 2,101
Originally Posted by craz View Post
I ran into this multiple times. Can be anything from the line in or out,to a problem with the printer (usually the case) among others. If they cant get it fixed on their own (and usually it takes a mgr with the proper keys) then they have to wait for service to arrive

No different then a problem with your phone or cable , CSr will try and talk you thru a fix a few different ways if necessary and if nothing works sets up an apt for service to come to you, lucky if they get to you within a few days, so why is this any different
Usually its out of paper issue, but this time is strange, connection problem...some kind of network issue?

My WF offer is ending next week, do not want to pre-buy the Gebits and sit on it for months to liquidate because thats the only MO store for me + BB (5k/month)....
prasha11 is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 2:01 pm
  #3665  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 23,171
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Usually its out of paper issue, but this time is strange, connection problem...some kind of network issue?

My WF offer is ending next week, do not want to pre-buy the Gebits and sit on it for months to liquidate because thats the only MO store for me + BB (5k/month)....
the only possible paper problem would be they ran out completely. 1 min do you get the MOs from a Kate? Where I am a few dz WMs and all are at the CS, which I prefer as its $1k for $.70 instead of per $500. But either way a paper problem should get it back up and running 1-2-3 once the mgr sees that.

All I ever hear is sorry the MOs are down and not working, never asked why, just left and drove to the next location
craz is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 4:26 pm
  #3666  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Anyone heard of the MO machine down for more than 2 days at a WMT?
asked the cashier whats wrong, she says 'I punch in and nothing happens' sounds strange to me.....

connection issues?
Yes. MO machine was down for more than three months at one local WM. I submitted a complaint via WM's web site, but no action was taken until I called the number on WM's site to file another complaint.
kharlamov is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 5:38 pm
  #3667  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
New Twist - MO limits to $500 a piece

At a super Wally today that has a MC. Cashier told me the maximum value on MO now is $500, though it is still $0.70 up to $1000.
Happy is offline  
Old Jun 19, 15, 6:35 pm
  #3668  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angles
Posts: 2,101
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
At a super Wally today that has a MC. Cashier told me the maximum value on MO now is $500, though it is still $0.70 up to $1000.

surprise, surprise.....probably that is being set up! printer has enough paper,

my only hope...other 2 wmt around me - no Gebit cards

so u get 4 MOs per receipt because 4x500 is max allowed!
prasha11 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 1:28 am
  #3669  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
surprise, surprise.....probably that is being set up! printer has enough paper,

my only hope...other 2 wmt around me - no Gebit cards

so u get 4 MOs per receipt because 4x500 is max allowed!
Yup, instead of 2x $1000 it spit out 4x $500. Annoying as it took twice as long and twice the money orders.
Happy is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 3:48 am
  #3670  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 73
I have read through several of these posts. Could anyone provide me with info regarding what GC are eligible towards purchasing MO at Wally. I don't know of any other $500 that you are allowed to get with a CC purchase then OV. Generally I get VCG at Staples/OM but they are fixed at 200
PointSeeker07 is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 5:38 am
  #3671  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by PointSeeker07 View Post
I have read through several of these posts. Could anyone provide me with info regarding what GC are eligible towards purchasing MO at Wally. I don't know of any other $500 that you are allowed to get with a CC purchase then OV. Generally I get VCG at Staples/OM but they are fixed at 200
Not sure what "several" means, but it wasn't quite enough. Info is all spelled out way to easily in these forums...give it one more look see
travelfreaks is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 9:56 am
  #3672  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,699
Originally Posted by PointSeeker07 View Post
I have read through several of these posts. Could anyone provide me with info regarding what GC are eligible towards purchasing MO at Wally. I don't know of any other $500 that you are allowed to get with a CC purchase then OV. Generally I get VCG at Staples/OM but they are fixed at 200
check variable Visa debit cards issued by Sunrise bank sold at most WM.
Mamibear is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 12:03 pm
  #3673  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Usually its out of paper issue, but this time is strange, connection problem...some kind of network issue?

My WF offer is ending next week, do not want to pre-buy the Gebits and sit on it for months to liquidate because thats the only MO store for me + BB (5k/month)....
Had connection issues down here ALL THE TIME. No big deal.

Weather, construction nearby, anything that affects the internet connection of a particular area, can affect the Moneygram operation.

A nearby Wally is in the process to remodel to a Super Wally, while the store continues operating thru the project that has been going on for almost a year now. Their moneygram went down A LOT thanks to the construction. In fact they have someone monitor the downs, (because their internet connection or whatever else would also be down) Once it is back up an employee would go to the CS desk to inform the cashiers there now Moneygram is working.
Happy is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 12:04 pm
  #3674  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,379
Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
check variable Visa debit cards issued by Sunrise bank sold at most WM.
And all the WMs down here are Cash or Debit only. Hard-coded at registers. Just saying so before someone gets his hope up, he may not be able to buy it with CC at all at his locations.
Happy is offline  
Old Jun 20, 15, 8:02 pm
  #3675  
Moderator, Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Programs: Delta Silver. Hilton Diamond.
Posts: 1,525
Thread closure

This thread about buying Money Orders at Walmart using OneVanilla(OV) cards is over one year old. As OV (and all Vanilla cards) generally stopped working at Walmart to buy MO (or load bluebird/serve) almost a year ago (as indicated in the wiki), I think this thread has outlasted its usefulness. In fact most recent posts have been about topics other than buying MO with OV @ WM. Therefore I think it is time to close this thread.

If there is new information about using Vanilla cards at Walmart to buy Money Orders, please contact the mods to re-open the thread. Note that there are other threads for discussing other types of gift cards or other places where you can buy money orders besides Walmart.
ChrisFlyer66 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: