FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   MO Purchases using OV @ WM (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1581146-mo-purchases-using-ov-wm.html)

usalibido Sep 30, 2014 12:25 am

It might be fine for someone to stop by once a month and have few "declined" swipes. But I can see it could become "annoying" if someone comes every other day and needs quite few swipes every time.

unkinected Sep 30, 2014 7:45 am

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234 (Post 23601140)
BTW, I never do more than 2 failed swipes at one cashier (and I always have non-Vanilla VGCs as backups), so the 10 unsuccessful swipes were at five different registers.

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Whenever I try to load/purchase MO at a cashier (which is not very often) and my VGCs aren't working, and I ask them to cancel the transaction, they have to call a manager over. Doesn't matter if I've swiped my VGC once or four times, the cashier never can seem to cancel the transaction on his/her own.

Is this everyone's experience? It sounds like others have less of a hassle cancelling.

One time, after two failed swipes I asked the cashier to cancel, which required a manager who wasn't available. So while we were waiting for someone to come over, I said, "I might as well keep trying until the manager shows up." None of my subsequent swipes worked, but at 8, the terminal told me approved and then just stopped - didn't spit out a receipt or anything. Confirmed that the load did NOT actually happen, so it seems I forced the register to auto-cancel by swiping too many times.

PaulMSN Sep 30, 2014 8:37 am

Originally Posted by traveler9020 (Post 23601412)
I'm starting to think that it would be in everyone's best interest for Walmart to block all OV transactions. The multiple swipes that have become the norm with these cards do nothing but draw unwanted attention. Unfortunately, those who continue to pursue this method of liquidation either can't see this as a potential problem, don't care, or do not have access to alternate means.

What are your thoughts?

I think that you're claiming your unwarranted fears to be truth. This hazy claim of "unwanted attention" is not enough reason for those who benefit from this method to stop doing so.

What you're really saying is that you're willing that others stop doing what benefits them in order to preserve your own benefits from an unclear and vague threat.

PaulMSN Sep 30, 2014 8:39 am

Originally Posted by unkinected (Post 23603564)
This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask. Whenever I try to load/purchase MO at a cashier (which is not very often) and my VGCs aren't working, and I ask them to cancel the transaction, they have to call a manager over. Doesn't matter if I've swiped my VGC once or four times, the cashier never can seem to cancel the transaction on his/her own.

Is this everyone's experience? It sounds like others have less of a hassle cancelling.

One time, after two failed swipes I asked the cashier to cancel, which required a manager who wasn't available. So while we were waiting for someone to come over, I said, "I might as well keep trying until the manager shows up." None of my subsequent swipes worked, but at 8, the terminal told me approved and then just stopped - didn't spit out a receipt or anything. Confirmed that the load did NOT actually happen, so it seems I forced the register to auto-cancel by swiping too many times.

At my WM the manager has to cancel the transaction, but they are able to do it remotely and often do. 8 swipes is the max number of swipes.

Brugge Sep 30, 2014 8:45 am

Originally Posted by usalibido (Post 23602280)
It might be fine for someone to stop by once a month and have few "declined" swipes. But I can see it could become "annoying" if someone comes every other day and needs quite few swipes every time.

Have you ever listened in while "ordinary" WM folks try to do their business at the MC? A few failed swipes is nothing compared to the people who try to cash checks without the needed documentation, etc.

None of my WM cashiers has ever seemed frustrated when my card didn't work. They understand that sometimes it's just that the WM system isn't working correctly, and apologize for not being able to do it. If I ever got someone who did seem frustrated with helping me, I would just not go back to them again. Easy enough to let the person behind you in the line go first, so you can get the cashier you want.

cdancer20 Sep 30, 2014 9:12 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN (Post 23603812)
At my WM the manager has to cancel the transaction, but they are able to do it remotely and often do. 8 swipes is the max number of swipes.

Managers always have to physically cancel the transactions in my store.

hamokmonky Sep 30, 2014 10:25 am

Originally Posted by traveler9020 (Post 23601412)
I'm starting to think that it would be in everyone's best interest for Walmart to block all OV transactions. The multiple swipes that have become the norm with these cards do nothing but draw unwanted attention. Unfortunately, those who continue to pursue this method of liquidation either can't see this as a potential problem, don't care, or do not have access to alternate means.

What are your thoughts?

I think everyone needs to make their own judgement call instead of paying attention to some blanket catch all statement. I can guarentee that at some stores what causes unwanted attention will not be the same as the next store. My MC employees could give 2 you-know-whats if I run a card more than once (I dont, but not the point). If I went somewhere else that didnt know me, then maybe they would be far more skeptical of the situation, but I know if I were to use OVs (which again, I typically dont), I would have no problems loading my BB/Serve at the MC with multiple swipes. Its not going to cause anything negative to happen whatsoever. But again, judgement call, if you think its going to cause unwanted attention at your walmart, then by all means you should stop.

Mamibear Sep 30, 2014 10:31 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky (Post 23604403)
But again, judgement call, if you think its going to cause unwanted attention at your walmart, then by all means you should stop.

emphasis on this.

not all WMs are the same that's why our experiences are different. for those of us with friendly WMs, we can go ahead and experiment knowing friendly personnel are not quick to call on the cops for suspicious activity. It also pays to be friendly with the staff to get the same vibes from them. ;)

traveler9020 Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

PaulMSN, I misread your original post. My apologies.

jedinkel Oct 1, 2014 11:11 am

Got a $499 money order from One Vanilla at Wal-Mart. The trick is the terminal they use at the Cashier line. It was declined 5 times before it worked.

jaiice Oct 1, 2014 12:07 pm

If Kate is available, all OVs go through with 1, 2 or max 3 swipes (I loaded 8k worth of OVs into serve in past couple of days). The trick is getting some help fixing Kate. Velocity limit even when loading 1k, printer issue, etc. Luckily I was able to get some help both days to fix Kate.

aGeist Oct 1, 2014 12:55 pm

You guys hogging the Kate's with OneVanilla are ridiculous. Swiping 40 times for one time is too much attention and absolutely absurd.

Originally Posted by jaiice (Post 23610521)
The trick is getting some help fixing Kate. Velocity limit even when loading 1k, printer issue, etc. Luckily I was able to get some help both days to fix Kate.

That's the "trick"? Are you serious? Yeah "the trick" if you want the Kate removed from your local WM.

#havetobekiddingme

sosamo Oct 1, 2014 1:09 pm

I don't think somebody out there is really swiping 40 times. The most I have swiped was 5 times. And I only load $1500 at a time.

And getting help to clear the velocity or change receipt paper isn't a trick. It's just asking for assistant :D

commdiver Oct 1, 2014 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by aGeist (Post 23610801)
You guys hogging the Kate's with OneVanilla are ridiculous. Swiping 40 times for one time is too much attention and absolutely absurd.

That's the "trick"? Are you serious? Yeah "the trick" if you want the Kate removed from your local WM.

#havetobekiddingme

Hilarious post. Made me literally LOL.

PaulMSN Oct 1, 2014 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by aGeist (Post 23610801)

#havetobekiddingme

If you have to use hyperbole to make your point, your point is likely invalid.