Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by granstagna
Unfortunately, I think that's becoming more prevailing thoughts among MS-ers......Instead going slow and steady, milk as much as you can, as fast as you can, and the heck if that will shutdown the opportunity...since if i'm not doing it, someone else will anyway.
Do you have any data or any evidence to suggest that people had previously been going slow and steady, and that's changed? I don't see anything to suggest that.

There is a time to go fast, and a time to go slow. Going fast is usually the right strategy. It's all a gamble. I have one particular "ghetto" nonwalmart store where I'm the only one getting MOs, but I can get $2500 each time without fail. I go only once a week. If I go twice a week will I likely get shut down sooner? Yes. Is there a chance twice a week would work fine? Yes. It's an unknown what the right answer is, there are too many variables, so we all need to do what is best for ourselves.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Kates Back Happy Happy Joy Joy

Went to WM 2 hours ago, intending to load $500 in one swipe with a VGC, and then $2K of OVs in $49.99 loads to finish my wife's BB quota for this month. That would be 40 start from scratch loads, assuming they all went thru.

Loaded the VGC with no problem of course. Then for some reason, despite that everyone was posting that Kate won't take more than $49.99 anymore, and the fact that I was unable to do a single load above that yesterday, I tried for a $500 load with a OV.

Card declined.

Swiped the same card a second time, $500 loaded to BB.

Swiped with another OV, $500 loaded to BB on the first swipe. The other two OV cards each took a couple of swipes to load, and I was done. Done with BB for literally WEEKS. Not again until October.

Last edited by Brugge; Sep 16, 2014 at 6:39 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Originally Posted by Brugge
Totally not what I meant, and I'm pretty sure you know it.

What I did was slow and steady, and it took a bunch of unnecessary trips, including yesterday when I couldn't load at all. If I had just gone for the $2500 each account per trip, I would have avoided all that.

And nothing about that would do anything at all to "shutdown the opportunity". Using Kate as she is designed within BBs limits, won't hurt a thing.
No, I'm not lumping you with those that tried to go and milk every single thing at once. Sorry if it come across like that. But I do believe more MS-ers fit that than ever.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
Do you have any data or any evidence to suggest that people had previously been going slow and steady, and that's changed? I don't see anything to suggest that.

There is a time to go fast, and a time to go slow. Going fast is usually the right strategy. It's all a gamble. I have one particular "ghetto" nonwalmart store where I'm the only one getting MOs, but I can get $2500 each time without fail. I go only once a week. If I go twice a week will I likely get shut down sooner? Yes. Is there a chance twice a week would work fine? Yes. It's an unknown what the right answer is, there are too many variables, so we all need to do what is best for ourselves.
Sure, just a few years back I don't recall people asking "how many times of my CL" can I safely churned each month?

You said it yourself, people are greedy and want more and more for themselves. You might have better self control and only goes once a week, doesn't mean the next person would do the same thing. Multiply that by the spread of info via courtesy of bloggers which attract clueless newbies and the panic that usually ensue - "oh great, now everyone knows for sure...better get the most before it dies out" mentality and I think the result are obvious,
Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:55 pm

How long after purchase do you guys wait for PIN feature to get activated?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Somewhat related to the topic, does anyone know which banks are more "tolerable" towards large amount of MOs everyday?

I was depositing MOs into Chase and Wells Fargo everyday, but stopped upon seeing these Chase shutdown reports. Now I only deposit to Wells Fargo but I don't feel too comfortable about depositing 6k+ everyday...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jazzmailman
Somewhat related to the topic, does anyone know which banks are more "tolerable" towards large amount of MOs everyday?

I was depositing MOs into Chase and Wells Fargo everyday, but stopped upon seeing these Chase shutdown reports. Now I only deposit to Wells Fargo but I don't feel too comfortable about depositing 6k+ everyday...
Unless you live in the middle of nowhere you should have plenty of options in terms of credit unions and local and regional banks. Pick a bunch you don't care about ruining future relationships with and open checking accounts. Pretty much everyone offers free or very low cost online BP these days. The major national banks all offer/may offer in the future CCs that you'll want. Don't ruin your relationship with them by depositing tons of MOs and getting blacklisted.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:27 am

If I was depositing 6K+ a day, I would literally find every bank with reasonably free checking in a 5 mile+ radius, and open up an account with them. After BofA closed me down, I opened up 6. 2 closed down me down pretty quickly with no explanation, 2 of the other 4 had some questions, but cleared me.

Be careful for new banks putting freezes on your account without telling you, or you having a way of knowing... can lead to issues when you try and get the money out. That happened at 3 of my 6.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, just a few years back I don't recall people asking "how many times of my CL" can I safely churned each month?

You said it yourself, people are greedy and want more and more for themselves. You might have better self control and only goes once a week, doesn't mean the next person would do the same thing. Multiply that by the spread of info via courtesy of bloggers which attract clueless newbies and the panic that usually ensue - "oh great, now everyone knows for sure...better get the most before it dies out" mentality and I think the result are obvious,
I don't see how that proves your claim. In fact, I think it shows caution in that they chose to ask first.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:17 am
Suspended

A few years ago, people may have been astute enough to determine that on their own.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka

Actually, if we all do what's best for the group, this will last longer. Haven't you seen A Beautiful Mind? See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cournot_competition.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:56 am

posts start getting off topic now , maybe should start a new thread: Usage of MO, Banks and Credit Line.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
depositing 6k+ everyday...
Well now, if you really mean $6K everyday, that would come out just short of $2.2 MILLION a year. I think WF would be fine with that. Just don't go over $5 million, that might make them nervous.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:04 am

IME, local small town banks are more tolerable especially if you've banked with them for years and they know you quite well. BUT even with that, it doesn't mean I will throw all caution to the wind and deposit as much as I can. I still use discipline and best discretion in that aspect.

From what I've been reading NONE of the big banks are tolerable when it comes to MO's and they're the ones who determine what is considered a huge volume per customer profile. Do business with them at your comfort level.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnycomeslater
How long after purchase do you guys wait for PIN feature to get activated?
if you get an activation confirmation when you purchase your OV then its activated (CVS activate upon purchase and it shows on the receipt) others like walgreen takes longer time up to 24 hours. it depends where you buy your OV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.