Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Happy
Well, your location is not my location. As we all know WMT is highly YMMV, not even by location, but by stores, and sometimes by registers!
Try purchasing it at non-front store registers. I was able to get a few a while ago using chipped AMEX. The next day, I was blocked by the front register with tender not allowed.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kxc262
Try purchasing it at non-front store registers. I was able to get a few a while ago using chipped AMEX. The next day, I was blocked by the front register with tender not allowed.
What do you mean by non-front store register? The jewel dept? 3 weeks ago I was able to when the Jewel dept was manned. It was not manned since then every time I dropped by. Electronics told me they were not allow to do those transactions. I went there largely because the front check out lines were horrendous. At that time the front check out registers all could do it. Things changed about 10 days ago.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prokopon
3. This IS the right thread for talking about MO purchases at WM using OV. To contribute to that topic, I'll add that I attempted to purchase a MO at WM last night with OV and the transaction failed, even with the workaround. Also failed using my Buxx card, which is a first for me. Also tried funding BB with OV to no avail. Used my OV this morning to buy brunch.
Tried this afternoon at a super center with the latest color pad with OV. I was able to go all the way to the PIN enter screen with the workaround, then failed - Debit Not Available with Code 62.

Then I used TD Buxx which the cashier was not convinced it would work and asked to see the card. Then she was satisfied and I proceeded with it. It worked flawlessly.

BTW, this super center's colored pad is not the same type as an older super center. The display of amount and the options of Yes and No, is very very tiny. I thought I also saw a screen showed 0 $ before the PIN screen but could not be sure.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I'll never turn down a good brunch.

However, I'd try the MO again. OV just worked for me to load BB with the workaround.
Originally Posted by Kevster402
To continue with the data points, I just successfully loaded two Vanillas to BB at WM.
At Kate or Register? If the latter, what type?

OV failed me both at buying MO or loading BB at super center with colored pad that has tiny display. Debit Not Available is the error message. None of my 4 WMTs has working Kate unfortunately.

Originally Posted by silver6054
Success data point from me. Unloaded 2 OV onto bluebird at a register this afternoon.

So, no reason whatsoever to think there would be a connection, but anyone tried buying a VR at CVS with a CC recently!
what type of register that worked for you? Did it succeed on first try?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 2, 2014 at 5:34 pm
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
I tried the register at the Garden center using OVs and it worked like charm with the ole work around tactic (the instructions are in the wikis, take time to read if interested). Happy days are here again @ WM!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I tried the register at the Garden center using OVs and it worked like charm with the ole work around tactic (the instructions are in the wikis, take time to read if interested). Happy days are here again @ WM!
Wish I could. The garden center folks in the regular WM told me they were not allow to load BB and directed me to CS counter.

Somehow you seem to be in a very MS friendly environment as you could even buy stuff at Walgreens when most of us couldn't.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:48 pm

Wish I could. The garden center folks in the regular WM told me they were not allow to load BB and directed me to CS counter.

Somehow you seem to be in a very MS friendly environment as you could even buy stuff at Walgreens when most of us couldn't.
my work entails a lot of traveling so I make use of my time checking out all stores for possible opportunities. In other words, I am not restricted to one area.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:51 pm

I tried this afternoon at a Missouri walmart to load BB. I tried 4 Onevanilla (OV) cards (starting 4941) and all get "debit not available with code 57".
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:19 pm

An OV loaded at a Kate today. Very nice. No workaround blah blah. Wipe, PIN, debited.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
A couple of more data points here:
- 1 OV reload to BB with Kate worked
- Failed OV reload to BB using "new" POS

Seems like the "old" POS is the way to go? Anyone have luck reloading with the new POS?
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by spgbus
Why not you go ahead try it and report back
OK, just tried it. Won't report the results as that will be spoonfeeding!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:23 pm

what type of register that worked for you? Did it succeed on first try?
Black and white. It succeeded on the first try. I was intermixing with USB MC GC, and the behavior on both was identical.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by silver6054
OK, just tried it. Won't report the results as that will be spoonfeeding!
Since you won't spoon feeding, I read it as a success at least partially like OV@WM. This is going to be HUGE...
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
One of the Kate's near me was in the mood today and so I was able to load quite a bit onto my wife's and my BB. I had two OVs one worked (first time I tried it) one did not (tried twice). However two of my USB VCGs were giving me problems purchased from different stored on different days. Error was debit not available code =38 (which is similar to what OVs throw as I recall). I was not hitting up against any limits (I loaded other cards successfully afterwards). Reset the pins and tired again and got the same error.
I've found that USBank cards occasionally fail at Walmart. It seems pretty random, but about 20% of the time they don't work at Walmart for me. I've never had a problem with metabank gift cards at Walmart though.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I've found that USBank cards occasionally fail at Walmart. It seems pretty random, but about 20% of the time they don't work at Walmart for me. I've never had a problem with metabank gift cards at Walmart though.
Interesting I have probably gone through at least a 75 USB cards in the last seven month and these two were my only failures to date. Maybe my luck has changed for the worse :-).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.