Community
Wiki Posts
Search

mo problem

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
I often buy as much as $6000 in MOs from WM in a single visit. They don't ask me for ID.
Sometimes I'll do a $2000 bill pay and $4000 in MOs.

Then there's that one lady at my least favorite WM who won't let me use OV or split tender.
$5K is the magic number to have your details thrown into a box.
Interesting they're not implementing procedure.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm, one person says $3K and another says $5K. Someone should provide proof, otherwise we'll have to average it out to $4K.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Hm, one person says $3K and another says $5K. Someone should provide proof, otherwise we'll have to average it out to $4K.
It's $5K. I've seen the internal memo. It also provides possible scenarios of what people typically do to avoid giving their personal information.

Not to mention, I think the last thing anyone wants to do is post an internal Walmart confidential memo.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f0xx
It's $5K. I've seen the internal memo. It also provides possible scenarios of what people typically do to avoid giving their personal information.

Not to mention, I think the last thing anyone wants to do is post an internal Walmart confidential memo.
Did you read it carefully enough to ascertain whether it was a nationwide, district- or store-level memo? Also, how were you able to see a confidential memo? Do/did you work there?
Old May 13, 2014, 3:56 pm

Did you read it carefully enough to ascertain whether it was a nationwide, district- or store-level memo? Also, how were you able to see a confidential memo? Do/did you work there?
Don't worry about how I obtain my information.

A customer asked me if I could split a $5000 transaction into two transactions of $2500 so they did not have to bother with the paperwork that may otherwise be involved. Should I process the transaction this way?

No. If it’s truly the same transaction, it should be processed as one transaction and the proper paperwork should be completely filled out and turned in to the Home Office for reporting to the government. If the customer refuses to comply, contact a member of management to assist you.
Tiny insight.

Wally takes these things seriously.
If that user indeed did a $6K MO and some how slipped through, I'm sure Walmart Corp. contacted that store to inquire. Their corporate operations are no joke and keep on eye on every store.
Old May 13, 2014, 4:01 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by MsArbi; Oct 30, 2014 at 12:22 am
Old May 13, 2014, 4:30 pm

If that user indeed did a $6K MO and some how slipped through, I'm sure Walmart Corp. contacted that store to inquire. Their corporate operations are no joke and keep on eye on every store.
Hmmm. If no customer ID was recorded, and if the 6 MOs were rung up as, say, 3 separate transactions of 2 MOs each, there's no way for Bentonville to know whether it was one customer purchasing all 6, or 3 customers purchasing 2 each.
Old May 13, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
FWIW -- Most I do on any single WM visit is a shade under $2k: buy 2X $999.25 MOs, pay with 4X $500 VGCs. Never have had my ID requested.
possible really stupid question, but last time I tried this type of MS i was told that I could not use two $500 GCs to buy one $1000 MO; I had to buy two $500 MOs. How can I teach them otherwise?
Old May 13, 2014, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry about how I obtain my information...
Then I, and probably others, will simply discount it.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by llbad
possible really stupid question, but last time I tried this type of MS i was told that I could not use two $500 GCs to buy one $1000 MO; I had to buy two $500 MOs. How can I teach them otherwise?
I'd avoid that person for a while until he/she gets schooled on how it's done.
Old May 13, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by tuphat
Hmmm. If no customer ID was recorded, and if the 6 MOs were rung up as, say, 3 separate transactions of 2 MOs each, there's no way for Bentonville to know whether it was one customer purchasing all 6, or 3 customers purchasing 2 each.
Your image from cameras?..
Old May 13, 2014, 11:06 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
I do $2K all the time at my WM, and if it's one of the friendlier clerks and I have more GCs, I do more. Recently I did $5K with no problem. You just have to be lucky enough to find the right store. No ID necessary.
Originally Posted by Huzordaddy
I often buy as much as $6000 in MOs from WM in a single visit. They don't ask me for ID.
Sometimes I'll do a $2000 bill pay and $4000 in MOs.

Then there's that one lady at my least favorite WM who won't let me use OV or split tender.
Originally Posted by jorge18
If I understand you correctly, you had bought $2k already, and wanted to buy $999 more?

If you are trying to buy more than $3k you will be asked for your ID, because they are required to fillout a NIL (Negotiable Instrument Log).
hmm my understanding was the same as jorge here. anything $3k and over needed to be reported or atleast ID checked and kept on record in one of those binders (incase they wanted to look you up in the future)

not sure how you guys are getting away with $5k and $6k at a time... unless they are split up into multiple transactions with a "friendly" cashier.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FTRox87
...not sure how you guys are getting away with $5k and $6k at a time... unless they are split up into multiple transactions with a "friendly" cashier.
They have to be split up -- the max # of swipes is 4, so at most you can do $2K per transaction. If I get one of the friendly cashiers, I just say, "Can I do the same again?". I don't try it with the non-friendly ones, but they'd probably do it. No problems at this WM yet, except when they hire someone new.
Old May 14, 2014, 6:38 am

mo problem

I didn't even realize many of you were having info recorded.

I routinely do between 6-10k per visit and none of my CSRs seem to care. All are 2k or less transactions. I regularly go to the same stores so maybe it's just because they are comfortable with me?
Old May 14, 2014, 11:01 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
They have to be split up -- the max # of swipes is 4, so at most you can do $2K per transaction. If I get one of the friendly cashiers, I just say, "Can I do the same again?". I don't try it with the non-friendly ones, but they'd probably do it. No problems at this WM yet, except when they hire someone new.
nice, I havent been bold enough to try asking for a repeat yet even with my regular, friendly cashiers. but your guys experience helps know whats possible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.