Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CVS cashier gave me the wrong VR Card

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guywhocan
So if CVS put the card I loaded back on the rack after I left, then my loss is someone else's gain? If they tossed it it the garbage, then my loss is InComm's gain?
Bingo.

Odds are that someone will bring it up to the register and it will scan as already activated and it depends what the CSR does at that point for that scenario. Otherwise, trashcan wins....
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:12 pm

All I can suggest is what I'd do if it was me. They can't re-sell the already activated card, the register would reject it. Unless a shady cashier purposely took the card then it's either back on the rack, still sitting in a pile behind register, or in the trash. It would be worth it to me to take a few minutes of my time to check all the gift card racks and ask the cashiers.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:13 pm

If you can't locate the card then pursue with Incomm. It's a major hassle for sure and they might not help but again it's worth a try.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
With all of these posts, of people getting screwed by negligence... I don't understand how anyone can NOT be checking the receipt to match the card given to them, and not be loading the card as soon as you get into your car.

With all the other inherent dangers that come with MS... how can we be so negligent....

Its like getting cash from someone and not counting it out for yourself. Duh!

I hope there will be a happy end to this story.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa
With all of these posts, of people getting screwed by negligence... I don't understand how anyone can NOT be checking the receipt to match the card given to them, and not be loading the card as soon as you get into your car.

With all the other inherent dangers that come with MS... how can we be so negligent....

Its like getting cash from someone and not counting it out for yourself. Duh!

I hope there will be a happy end to this story.
Because all the newbs come here and jump in head first. They want all the rewards before they understand the risk.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guywhocan
So if CVS put the card I loaded back on the rack after I left, then my loss is someone else's gain? If they tossed it it the garbage, then my loss is InComm's gain?
Not at all. If the VR wont activate the cashier wont give it to the person who bought it up. And hopefully the cashier will in fact throw it into the trash!

On 1/1 I purchased 1 VR gave her a 2nd VR but was shot down as only 1 transaction per person per day. On 1/4 went to load the Vr and got the RED suspension notice. Called Incomm and basically since the last 4 #s on the reciept dont match those on the VR SOL. Next called CV to get the full 100 digit card # since the receipt only shows the last 4, was told it will take up to 7 biz days. I did call the store but was told there wasnt any VR lying around. The CV CS rep was real nice and even called the stoe and was told it was most likley thrown away. 2 weeks later the mgr calls and tells me to stop by bring the VR that didnt load and my CC to get a full refund, I did and got it.

All I was hoping for was that if I provided Incomm with the # of the activated VR and it still wasnt Unloaded that Incomm would somehow make me whole.If it was Unloaded then I would have had CV contact Incomm to get the name of the acct it went into just in case it matched the name of 1 of tehir employees. The CS rep said she most certainly would do that since they would want such a person working for them

Now I wont leave untill I verified that all the cards I have in hand match those on my receipt

I do strongly suggest if you have a non-activated VR and the #s dont match the receipt to call CVs CS chose the option for their Rewards card get a live rep and they will transfer you to the CS dept. Tell them what happened and that Incomm wants the full VR # of the activated VR but your receipt only has the last 4 #s. Then hopefully you got the VR nearby and not while on vacation so that you can get back to that store when they call you in few weeks to come by
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
In the lower right on the back of the VRs is a sequence number. Odds are if you grab a handful the numbers will be pretty much sequential.

I'd go through the good VRs and figure out if there's one card number missing from the sequence, then search through the CVS rack for it.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton-Gold
It happened to me once, I checked the receipt there and caught the mistake. In my case, he swapped the card and gave me inactivated one.

I hope you will get a positive outcome.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mihiker
If you can't locate the card then pursue with Incomm. It's a major hassle for sure and they might not help but again it's worth a try.
If the last #s on the receipt do not match those on the card Incomm hands are tied and cant do anything! after all how do they know you didnt simply walk out of the store w/o loading the VR, give the loaded VR to someone else and now claim whatever it is that you are

However if you loaded aVR and it didnt activate and the #s match then they can be of help.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:26 pm

OP,
You might want to rethink your Member Name
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cashback
Because all the newbs come here and jump in head first. They want all the rewards before they understand the risk.
I am pretty much a newbie at this... so I don't know if it is a newbie thing, but rather over confidence.

I guess after people have some success, they think they are fool proof.

Kind of like motorcycle riders. An intermediate rider is more likely to fall than a newbie... over confidence.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:47 pm

How the hell does this happen? Are people so excited that they forget to verify before they leave the store that if they bought 3 VRs that they should see 3 VRs on the receipt say activated with matching bar codes? This should NEVER happen if you just take a minute to double check your receipt.

Also if you are receiving more or less VR cards than what you paid for then you should talk with the cashier right away. For example if you received 2 VR cards when you purchased and paid for 3 VR cards that is a huge red flag. Things like this should never happen.

Also who the hell waits a week before redeeming their VR cards?? I try to redeem them as soon as possible. More chance of you losing them if you hold onto them.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Feb 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by adminds
I had similar experience, but with a happy ending.

I took two VRs to the cashier, but the guy appearantly did not know how to proceed the second one. So I decided to buy only one. Went home to load. Suspended. Checked receipt, and found the cashier gave me an unactivated card. So I went back to the store and talked to the manager, and she finally found the activated card in the trash can! She said it was their policy to throw away the VRs that customers brought to register but did not buy eventually.

In your case, I guess that the activated VR has been thrown away, but since 1 week has passed, it's unlikely to find the VR. You may try to request a refund from CVS.

I also learned a lesson from my own experience: always check the receipt to see if the cards (whatever GCs, wherever I buy) have been activated.
Awesome
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I generally load VR in my car before leaving CVS parking lot. Paranoia, indeed. Hopefully there will be a good resolution for OP but even more important, this should serve as an important PSA to all MSers who don't already take proper precautions.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:22 pm

I've brought hundreds of these, and I almost never check the receipt (although I would have in an unusual situation like the OPs). For me it's more important to secure everything immediately before arousing too much suspicion and get out of there. I'm more concerned about dropping a card, or being mugged, than the card not being activated. I usually load VRs within the day, but not always. There is plenty of risk in life, and I think these things are pretty low on the chart.

If someday I'm out $500 it won't be that big of a deal to me... my main worry is my wallet being lost or stolen when it's got several thousands in cash equivalencies in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.