Wiki Posts
Search

VGC to BB and MO's

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by mabramovich
I'm going to chime in with a question here if you'll forgive me...

How do the margins for VGC -> MO make sense? A VGC is the same $3.95 as a VR, right (or even $4.95?). Then you pay your $0.70 for a money order at Wal-mart.
For me... I don't care if I end up paying $100 in fees (VGC > MO > bank/VR > BB) in order to get the 75k miles. All I'm trying to do is hit the 7.5k spend on the new AA card.
The faster I hit this spend requirement, the better. It's already a huge PIA....had a fraud alert block at the food store when trying to buy one VGC today...and counting the potential trip back to the bank if the blank unendorsed MO I deposited today doesn't unpend.

...and yes, I may be blonde and a bit confused with this whole thing...but the teller should have pushed it back to at least endorse it when that was the only thing I was there to do.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Question on liquidation of VGCs:

Hypothetical - I buy two (2) VGCs @ $500.00 each.

Question - Why bother to load them onto BB at all? Simply go to WM and liquidate using 2 MOs (499.00 x 2). Simple. Is there some advantage to doing a swipe reload to extinguish the VGCs?????
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney

Question - Why bother to load them onto BB at all? Simply go to WM and liquidate using 2 MOs (499.00 x 2). Simple. Is there some advantage to doing a swipe reload to extinguish the VGCs?????
it's free to load BB/Serve with VGCs using Kate/MC/regular registers up to $5K per calendar month. once funds are added, you can do B/P.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Got it. So basically is $1.40 in savings.

What I do is go directly VGC > MO on the $500.00 denom's.
When I get the $200.00 denom's (when I shop at that other store that only sells the $200s) then I go VGC > BB > pay bill
Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:42 pm

Got it. So basically is $1.40 in savings.

What I do is go directly VGC > MO on the $500.00 denom's.
When I get the $200.00 denom's (when I shop at that other store that only sells the $200s) then I go VGC > BB > pay bill
More than the $ savings. The big thing for me at least is a few less trips to the WM money center...the Kate is just much more convenient and the money orders from Kate rarely work (or are permanently disabled by the store).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:48 pm

Because most people do NOT want to deal with MOs. Doing the extra work of loading to BB and paying from BB is much safer for most people than to be depositing a bunch of MOs into their bank accounts.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:24 pm

Posted this question in the newbie thread a couple days ago, but didn't get a response. I know that thread doesn't get read as much.

I've seen and read about the troubles of the Vanilla GC. But I was at a Rite Aid yesterday, and now that I automatically check out gift card racks wherever I'm at, I noticed the Vanilla VGC and also the OneVanilla card. Was curious as to the difference between the two as far as usage or anything in general? Thanks in advance. If there is a thread that kind of details this info, a point in the right direction would also be appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MG49
Posted this question in the newbie thread a couple days ago, but didn't get a response. I know that thread doesn't get read as much.

I've seen and read about the troubles of the Vanilla GC. But I was at a Rite Aid yesterday, and now that I automatically check out gift card racks wherever I'm at, I noticed the Vanilla VGC and also the OneVanilla card. Was curious as to the difference between the two as far as usage or anything in general? Thanks in advance. If there is a thread that kind of details this info, a point in the right direction would also be appreciated.
In general, there is no difference between them. You can even check card info for either variety from both OneVanilla.com and vanillavisa.com. Officially, Onevanilla is 'prepaid card, something you would use yourself. Vanilla GC is 'Gift Card you would give as present.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyCash
In general, there is no difference between them. You can even check card info for either variety from both OneVanilla.com and vanillavisa.com. Officially, Onevanilla is 'prepaid card, something you would use yourself. Vanilla GC is 'Gift Card you would give as present.
Thank you. And from what I've read, these will not load to BB at any dollar amount $50 or higher. Is that still accurate for both of the Vanill's?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Thank you. And from what I've read, these will not load to BB at any dollar amount $50 or higher. Is that still accurate for both of the Vanill's?
Correct.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:49 pm

I am afraid that your calculation is wrong. There is no 2X UR portal at staples.com for any gift card purchase. Also,1% visa small business cash back is expired and not valid anymore. You will only have 5X for gift card purchase at staple.com.

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
WM MO max is $1000 so you're liquidating two $500 VGCs (+/- a few pennies).

It's very slow if you don't use category bonus. I use ink 5x and chase UR portal 2x at staples.com , plus 1% visa small business cash back, to buy $100 VGC with $6.95 fee. That comes out to just under 0.8 cents per point. You can clear 350k points each card a year and that's just maxing BB load, not getting MO.

I have posted about a way to get free miles using meijer.com and bestbuy.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Putting aside BB for the moment, will OVs work to buy MOs at WM? What is the pin code?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:07 pm

Putting aside BB for the moment, will OVs work to buy MOs at WM? What is the pin code?
No, they default to credit and workaround works only up to 49.99 so they are useless for buying MOs at WM. They still work at grocery stores that allow DCs for MOs.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by wuchien6401
I am afraid that your calculation is wrong. There is no 2X UR portal at staples.com for any gift card purchase. Also,1% visa small business cash back is expired and not valid anymore. You will only have 5X for gift card purchase at staple.com.
you should probably look at the date in the thread. He posted that february 2014 This is an old thread that got resurrected for some reason.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Because most people do NOT want to deal with MOs. Doing the extra work of loading to BB and paying from BB is much safer for most people than to be depositing a bunch of MOs into their bank accounts.
That describes my MS to a tee. If I ever get to quit my day job, I may venture deeper into this hobby. But for now, our 2 BB accounts for $10k/mo suits us just fine in meeting min spend and category bonuses. We get 1-2 premium trips per year with minimum risk and effort (2 trips to nearby Simon mall and 3 trips to WM on the way home from office)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.