Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Update for those considering an Eastern Bank account. I talked with their chat.

"Unfortunately, money orders are not accepted through the mobile app. "

Too bad... Only way to do a deposit there is at a branch or one of their actual ATMs (not a SUM-ATM which is their partner atm)
Oh good to know. I applied for their checking account 2 times and both the time the application was not processed and it went in limbo.

CSR were not helpful ( didnt cared) . So i just left it
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:55 am

Update for those considering an Eastern Bank account. I talked with their chat.

"Unfortunately, money orders are not accepted through the mobile app. "

Too bad... Only way to do a deposit there is at a branch or one of their actual ATMs (not a SUM-ATM which is their partner atm)
I opened an account with Eastern last month for the purpose of being able to deposit MOs via smartphone, which the CSR confirmed was doable at the time, and only made one test deposit the following week to make sure it worked and now this is no longer an option.

Thankfully, they have a branch within 10 minutes of my house so I'll still be able to utilize them for ATM MO deposits.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:15 am

Beware DCU. They jerked me around for about 6 weeks after I opened my accounts. Had me fax in copies of SS Card, bill, driver's license. Then eventually I talked with someone that said that I had opened too many checking accounts so I'd be better served elsewhere. I wouldn't waste my time and HP with them.

Its the only place that did a HP on me + the only place where I was never able to deposit a single MO. Plus they will tell you that they are sending information in the mail or they will call you "in a few days" but then it will never happen. I'm avoiding any bank that does a HP in the future now because of this (like LCMU). DCU is probably the most unprofessional place I've ever dealt with.
I can second this. Stay away from DCU. When I first opened a DCU account, deposited 2 1k USPS MOs a few days apart. When I tried to ACH pull them out to my regular checking out, they rejected the transfer (even though the money was available in my account) and sent a letter explaining that an additional hold had been placed on those deposits for 7 days. I called them up, was transferred to loss prevention and they wanted me to fax in my SS card and proof of address, and she also grilled me on why I was depositing MO's made out to myself. I couldn't find my SS card and was eventually able to withdraw the money by going to another credit union and calling up the DCU loss prevention who manually unfroze my account while I was there and let them make out a cashier's check. Was told my account would be unable to be used until I fax in my SS card. I'm not going to bother though - they clearly don't like MO deposits! Will probably close it out sometime soon.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by bodiddely
I can second this. Stay away from DCU. When I first opened a DCU account, deposited 2 1k USPS MOs a few days apart. When I tried to ACH pull them out to my regular checking out, they rejected the transfer (even though the money was available in my account) and sent a letter explaining that an additional hold had been placed on those deposits for 7 days. I called them up, was transferred to loss prevention and they wanted me to fax in my SS card and proof of address, and she also grilled me on why I was depositing MO's made out to myself. I couldn't find my SS card and was eventually able to withdraw the money by going to another credit union and calling up the DCU loss prevention who manually unfroze my account while I was there and let them make out a cashier's check. Was told my account would be unable to be used until I fax in my SS card. I'm not going to bother though - they clearly don't like MO deposits! Will probably close it out sometime soon.
This is a good warning for any new account. Many don't realize most institutions automatically put holds on MO deposits for up to 10 days on new accounts. They won't let you ACH until the hold is over. You also didn't ramp slowly. $2k in one week for a new account is usually not a good idea. In fact, even within one year that amount per week can be problematic. Many that came from Serve were used to loading 5k in a few days and they think that amount is small, then try that with MOs and run into problems. Not that you did that, but I'm speaking generally. New accounts are in a probation period or trial. And, most institutions don't like ACHing all the money out that you just deposited. It's better to billpay like a normal customer, especially in accounts less than a year old.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by crapz1
Data point for Everbank. Opened my account a little over a month ago. Deposited about $4500 in MOs and another $2800 ACH deposit from Loyal3. Paid some CC bills via ACH out and debit with Evolve. I got a call earlier in the week from their financial intelligence unit. They asked where the money orders were coming from and I told them I run a consulting business and ask my clients pay me with money orders. They also asked what VS Evolve was and I told them it was a 3rd party bill pay service that I use. They said okay and that they would note that on my account. Since then I paid an AMEX and CapOne bill via ACH. Got an overnight Fedex in the mail today from the same guy I spoke to on the phone that my account has been shut down effective immediately and the balance is being sent in a cashier's check. Oh well...onto the next.
Just to add on to this one--I opened an Everbank checking account in order to deposit MOs via phone. I can tell something fishy is up. I deposited $5985 in MOs. Initially, only $5499 came "available" and total balance was $5985. About a week later, $5985 was "available". I did a CC payment pull from AMEX for $4000. Payment has cleared AMEX. Everbank initially showed up as a "pending ACH withdrawal". This eventually disappeared. Balance still shows $5985. I tried a bill pay for $1000. This bill pay has since disappeared. I received my debit card and attempted to add it to Square Cash, then Venmo. Both declined. I attempted to reload my Amazon GC $0.50 and transaction was declined.

Only thing I'm interested in is when will AMEX show the $4000 payment getting reversed and how am I going to get my $5985 out. I've called Everbank about a couple other things in the account setup and no one has said anything about being shutdown... I guess another call is in order.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by jags86
Just to add on to this one--I opened an Everbank checking account in order to deposit MOs via phone. I can tell something fishy is up. I deposited $5985 in MOs. Initially, only $5499 came "available" and total balance was $5985. About a week later, $5985 was "available". I did a CC payment pull from AMEX for $4000. Payment has cleared AMEX. Everbank initially showed up as a "pending ACH withdrawal". This eventually disappeared. Balance still shows $5985. I tried a bill pay for $1000. This bill pay has since disappeared. I received my debit card and attempted to add it to Square Cash, then Venmo. Both declined. I attempted to reload my Amazon GC $0.50 and transaction was declined.

Only thing I'm interested in is when will AMEX show the $4000 payment getting reversed and how am I going to get my $5985 out. I've called Everbank about a couple other things in the account setup and no one has said anything about being shutdown... I guess another call is in order.
New account and you deposited $5985 in MOs immediately?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
New account and you deposited $5985 in MOs immediately?
Yea. I guess in retrospect not the greatest idea.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:15 pm

Yea. I guess in retrospect not the greatest idea.
yup! I got shutdown by 5th 3rd by depositing 3 $500 MOs. New account too.

I was too lazy to use my other banks and figured 5th 3rd had mobile deposit and I needed to put money on the account might as well do the mobile deposit. I found out too late that it was a bad idea!
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I can tell something fishy is up. I deposited $5985 in MOs.
That's probably how they felt too.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
IMO, depositing a few thousand dollars (the more the better) and letting it sit for awhile (the longer the better), and then depositing MOs will work much better than treating a new account like the Pony Express, MOs in, bill pays out, with no real money on deposit.

Unless you don't care if it looks "fishy".
Old Mar 26, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
IMO, depositing a few thousand dollars (the more the better) and letting it sit for awhile (the longer the better), and then depositing MOs will work much better than treating a new account like the Pony Express, MOs in, bill pays out, with no real money on deposit.

So just to update, I called Everbank and they said they just are going to have a 10 day hold on the deposits and after that the money will be released.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 6:40 pm

hi~ anyone try deposit MO in Huntington ATM recently?
I try couple times this weekend for my WU MO. But the ATM keep returning my MO.
No problem last week.
THx!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:49 am

Has anyone tried depositing an MO into a First Tennessee or Northpointe account via the mobile app?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena

Welp. I got a call from Everbank today. Gentleman asked why I was depositing MOs. I said to get credit card rewards points. He said to me if I don't want to run into anymore problems to not do that anymore--he was pretty curt. They released the money and the account. I guess I'll drain it and go back to depositing checks in person at the local branch.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:11 pm

Welp. I got a call from Everbank today. Gentleman asked why I was depositing MOs. I said to get credit card rewards points. He said to me if I don't want to run into anymore problems to not do that anymore--he was pretty curt. They released the money and the account. I guess I'll drain it and go back to depositing checks in person at the local branch.
How much volume were you doing per month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.