Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Is wf cool with mo deposits of 3 to 4k per month?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by Hbax
Follow-up on the mobile deposits at Huntington. Got an amendment to the T&C for the checking account as a PDF in the secure messages section. Per the fine print, you cannot use mobile deposits to deposit "travelers checks, money orders..."

I stopped reading there.
I was halfheartedly thinking about switching bank accounts until I came here and read that my new bank of choice doesn't support mobile MO loads. Priorities!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by us1549
I deposited $1500 on a newly opened Suntrust account and was shut down the next day.
I had been doing 500/week via ATM. But after the last one they sent a snail mail letter saying the funds would be held 8 days because they couldn't contact the issuer. Maybe their way of telling me to quit it.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by us1549
I deposited $1500 on a newly opened Suntrust account and was shut down the next day.
LOL, may i ask if this was the opening deposit for the account?
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:32 pm

deposited one to simple today. since this is my first MO that I have deposited to simple, it will take 7 days to clear. No worries - I'll wait and see. I'm sure it will go through.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure
Is wf cool with mo deposits of 3 to 4k per month?
I have been doing close to $10,000 per month for the past three to four months.

EDIT: Not via the mobile app, though.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:33 am

Anyone have experience with BMO Harris? Online or ATM?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 2:22 pm

Bank of America (BofA) (BOA) ATM ISSUE

I have big issue I need your help on. This is my first post. I am been doing MS to meet spending on my new cards and Also to take advantage of Category bonus of 5%.

I made 8K Deposit of Money Orders through ATM, but transaction did not go through. It showed I made 0.00 deposit and items were not returned to me (Sunday, July 27). This is Remote BofA ATM. I called number on the receipt to file a claim. I am worried since this is very large amount. Highest amount of deposit I have ever done. Deposit consisted of 10 WU money Orders(Various amounts = Approximately $5K) and 3 Money Gram MO for $3K. Does anyone ever had this issue where ATM took items and did not give credit or option to retrive checks back?

I have filled out my home address on MO.

Thank you all for any suggetion on this. Should I post this issue on new Thread?
I have been told to wait until Aug. 8th for provisional credit.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:09 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by MSCharlotte
I made 8K Deposit of Money Orders through ATM, but transaction did not go through. It showed I made 0.00 deposit and items were not returned to me (Sunday, July 27). This is Remote BofA ATM. I called number on the receipt to file a claim. I am worried since this is very large amount. Highest amount of deposit I have ever done. Deposit consisted of 10 WU money Orders(Various amounts = Approximately $5K) and 3 Money Gram MO for $3K. Does anyone ever had this issue where ATM took items and did not give credit or option to retrive checks back?
After you accept the deposit, the ATM should have given you a hold notice telling you they are going to keep your money for two weeks. You can't get the money orders back once the ATM gives you the hold notice. If you are a new customer, you'll get access to none of your money for the entire duration.

In the meantime, I'm willing to bet you are at high risk of getting all of your BofA accounts closed with a negative Chexsystems entry as well that every other bank will eventually see. $8k in MO all at once.... really???????
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:35 pm

Can someone (maybe in banking) explain why banks don't like money order deposits to the point that they'd rather not have your business? Is it expensive and/or time consuming to process them? Or is just that the risk of fraud is extremely high? What if you get monthly rent in the form of money orders? Do banks expect you to open a business account for that or would they still close your account?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Can someone (maybe in banking) explain why banks don't like money order deposits to the point that they'd rather not have your business? Is it expensive and/or time consuming to process them? Or is just that the risk of fraud is extremely high? What if you get monthly rent in the form of money orders? Do banks expect you to open a business account for that or would they still close your account?
I don't work on consumer banking side, but I'll answer based on my own opinion.

Money orders are for all intents and purposes checks that are prepaid. By that definition, they are a more trusted form of payment than a regular old check. Yes, there is money order fraud but I doubt it is any worse than people writing bad checks. Money orders to me aren't the problem for banks.

I think the problem that many MO depositors run into is volume versus daily balance. Banks make money by lending out your deposits - sure, you might deposit $20k a month into an account but if your average daily balance is $100 because you're dumping the money out immediately, you aren't a profitable customer because your funds aren't available for lending. So you end up with a situation where:

1. Your risk is higher than the average customer (especially as a new account) due to volume of total money deposits. Fraud, money laundering, etc. are buzzwords that may come to mind to a compliance officer looking at your account.

2. Your cost is higher than the average customer - billpay, check processing, other administration costs.

3. Your profitability is low (low balances available to be used for lending). You also don't use products that the bank cross sells that make normal customers profitable (debit cards, credit cards, loan products)

So all in all, the bank cuts you and loses very little profit potential but sheds a comparatively large amount of risk.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:27 pm

Thank you. If that's the case then they shouldn't care if I deposit to an old account with a large balance. For example let's say you deposit 5% of your account balance each month. I just get concerned with some of the posts here.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:35 pm

I have a dormant account on INGDirect that is now CapOne 360. I have forgotten that account have not logged on in forever until I received an email to verify my information. I didn't realize I still had some $ in there. I have a $9xx.xx MO which I uploaded for deposit and will see if that goes through.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I have a dormant account on INGDirect that is now CapOne 360. I have forgotten that account have not logged on in forever until I received an email to verify my information. I didn't realize I still had some $ in there. I have a $9xx.xx MO which I uploaded for deposit and will see if that goes through.
In my experience it won't. YMMV.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
Reminds me of a bank account I have. Back in college I interned at a company in Silicon Valley. My bank at the time (Commerce Bank, now TD Bank) had no branches out there so I opened a account with Star One credit union since they had an ATM in my office complex and put the $50 initial deposit in. Later that week I realized my direct deposits from my bank back home would still work so I continued to use that. I forgot all about the account I had opened until about 6 years later a letter comes to my parents house saying my account would be closed because they couldn't contact me and unless I got I touch the state of California would claim the funds when the account was closed. I got I touch and decided to just keep the account open and leave the money in there. After 8 years of mediocre to terrible interest, my account now has almost $57 dollars in it. When the .... hits the fan and I'm dead broke at least I've got that $57 reserve in my California bank account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.