Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by Tuppins
Lol, thanks. Hopefully, if this happens, she'll learn to research her purchases better (I even said to her that, at that price point, "you get what you pay for.") She's just a kid starting high school, but we're beginning the process of pushing her out of the nest...
Just don't let her fall. ^
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Data Point: NFCU has ATM deposit however funds won't be released until the next business day or until processed by a bank person. They don't allow MO deposit via smart phone.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: 1&2
Originally Posted by Fuerza
Data Point: NFCU has ATM deposit however funds won't be released until the next business day or until processed by a bank person. They don't allow MO deposit via smart phone.
What ATM have you been using, NF or partner ATM? I have been unsuccessful with ATM deposits for NFCU.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by brero
What ATM have you been using, NF or partner ATM? I have been unsuccessful with ATM deposits for NFCU.
It was a NFCU ATM right outside their branch.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
I did not realize I could use check deposit ATMs with my Schwab account. Or do you also have a BoA account?
No, I think they mean that they just deposited it into their BOA account with BOA ATM since Schwab didn't work. Schwab is not affiliated with BOA, Merrill Lynch is.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superorb
No, I think they mean that they just deposited it into their BOA account with BOA ATM since Schwab didn't work. Schwab is not affiliated with BOA, Merrill Lynch is.
Ah I see. Too bad, that would have been a cool feature.

My main account is a credit union, and I really like it because I can use any CO-OP atm, including for check deposits. They have like 3x the ATMS of any of the major banks.

http://co-opatm.org/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:52 am

+1
Old Jun 19, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: 1&2
Ok. Supposedly partner ATMs will work, and I even did the search on NFCU's website limited to "deposit accepting ATMs" only, but I always get the "Transaction Not Allowed" 119 error at the partner ATM.

Has anyone ever had success making a deposit (of any kind/amount) to a NFCU partner ATM?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:01 pm

I got a voicemail from PNC today letting me know they don't accept MO via smartphone deposit after I tried to deposit two for $499 each. I've used the app for checks before and deposits of that size are well within reason for my 10 year history with them.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:11 pm

USAA

I find that this doesnt work, it wont read the amount of money grams bought at walmart.

Originally Posted by jan_believes
==============================

https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Mone...nkPhrase=money order deposit

Per USAA phone rep: Yes to MO at ATM. Yes to MO deposit on mobile app. HTH.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:21 pm

Capital One 360 and SunTrust

Money grams at a Capital One 360 ATM usually work, sometimes after a couple of attempts. However, it takes up to 3 days to clear.
Havent had any luck at suntrust ATMs so far.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:09 pm

Anyone aware of a limit with BoA ATM deposits?

About to ramp up MO for the first time, and that's my only legit option without opening up a new bank account.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by cb11
Anyone aware of a limit with BoA ATM deposits?

About to ramp up MO for the first time, and that's my only legit option without opening up a new bank account.
I deposit around $2000 per time, and at most 10K a month. Someone recently reported BoA closing their (very old) account because of MO deposits. So I don't think there are written limits per deposit, but "enough", for some definition of enough, might get bad attention.

For more safety, get another free bank account!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I utilize a small financial institution where I live. I've recently begun depositing small 5 figure money orders via my smartphone. Today I logged into my account online and was surprised by an unexpected message.

But wait, there's more!

The message told me that my daily limit was raised from $10k to $100k.

Seems like an invitation for trouble, but then again, it tells me that this is a good mechanism to deposit volume.

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by silver6054
I deposit around $2000 per time, and at most 10K a month. Someone recently reported BoA closing their (very old) account because of MO deposits. So I don't think there are written limits per deposit, but "enough", for some definition of enough, might get bad attention.

For more safety, get another free bank account!
Much appreciated.

I just discovered, to my delight, that my grocery accepts debit to MO, and my ATM is right next door.

Much, much more convenient for me than WM and BB, location wise.

Probably still sparingly use WM/BB for variety, but this will save so much time. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.