Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:05 am

Anyone having issues with Disc today?

Bought two WU MOs for $499, numbered one after the other. I deposited the first one to Disc via smartphone with no problem - as I have many times in the past. The second one won't seem to take no matter what I do - it's perfectly clean, dark background, all corners showing, focused etc, and it just won't go after numerous tries. It's odd because it's always gone smoothly, and this was 2 minutes after I did one successfully.

Is it just bad luck/glitch? Could they have implemented something that blocks what it considers duplicate deposits in a short period of time?

Or maybe I accidentally tried to do the same one twice? Wouldn't think so based on the error message that it was a bad picture taken, but who knows.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by dublin487
Anyone having issues with Disc today?

Bought two WU MOs for $499, numbered one after the other. I deposited the first one to Disc via smartphone with no problem - as I have many times in the past. The second one won't seem to take no matter what I do - it's perfectly clean, dark background, all corners showing, focused etc, and it just won't go after numerous tries. It's odd because it's always gone smoothly, and this was 2 minutes after I did one successfully.

Is it just bad luck/glitch? Could they have implemented something that blocks what it considers duplicate deposits in a short period of time?

Or maybe I accidentally tried to do the same one twice? Wouldn't think so based on the error message that it was a bad picture taken, but who knows.
In case anyone was wondering, worked fine 1.5 hours later after being folded and a bit crumpled in my pocket
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:50 am

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Does anyone have experience with MO's in Serve?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:35 am

Looks like you guys killed mo at discover. Anyone still able to get them approved?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
No, but it is explicitly prohibited by T&C.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by MasterCharge
gets reversed almost immediately
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
for some reason my WF app doesnt want to take a WM generated MO. Tried taking picture a million different ways nothing... says amounts do not match.
I also had issues, but haven't tried it with the receipt detached, give that a shot.

I say this, because when I deposited those MOs in a WF ATM with receipt attached, it could not automatically detect the amount. I had to type it in.

BUT, when I took off the receipt, it read the values just fine and was painless.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by hitman1420
I also had issues, but haven't tried it with the receipt detached, give that a shot.

I say this, because when I deposited those MOs in a WF ATM with receipt attached, it could not automatically detect the amount. I had to type it in.

BUT, when I took off the receipt, it read the values just fine and was painless.
It's kind of hardcore to deposit to ATM with receipts attached...

I've never had instances of reading amounts of MG products by WF ATMs.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by pier11
It's kind of hardcore to deposit to ATM with receipts attached...

I've never had instances of reading amounts of MG products by WF ATMs.
Ha ha. I've dealt with over 6 figures of MO for 8 months and I just now realized that I should immediately tear off the receipt and keep it for myself

For some reason, I thought the MO had to have the receipt on it in order to be cashed/deposited.

So glad I haven't lost any.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by hitman1420
I say this, because when I deposited those MOs in a WF ATM with receipt attached...
I can sort of understand sleeping with hookers bareback, but depositing MOs into an ATM with the receipt attached? That's just crazy.

Glad you didn't lose any money.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:28 pm

I stopped by an ATM on the way home to deposit some MOs, and couldn't miss the giant signs on the pillars separating the drive-up lanes saying something like:

YOU THINK ATMS ARE CONVENIENT ? INTRODUCING MOBILE DEPOSITS AT HUNTINGTON BANK.

and there was a picture of a smartphone with a check on the screen in landscape mode.

* Interestingly, I had tried to deposit one of them at a Huntington ATM in the town to the South of me the other day, and it scanned the front and back TWICE, then rejected it and spit it out. I thought perhaps because it was the smaller format WU instead of the larger format WM ones I had been depositing.

But no problemo at the one by my house tonight. The only difference was, with the previous WM ones it auto-recognized the dollar amount and merely asked me to confirm, whereas with the WU ones, it asked me to type-in the dollar amount, and then said it was accepted.

Yippee-ki-yay !
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:58 am

I deposited $1500 on a newly opened Suntrust account and was shut down the next day.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by us1549
I deposited $1500 on a newly opened Suntrust account and was shut down the next day.
LOL.

I've always imagined Suntrust to already be sensitive to MO deposits because of the Delta Debit Card they have.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Hbax
I stopped by an ATM on the way home to deposit some MOs, and couldn't miss the giant signs on the pillars separating the drive-up lanes saying something like:

YOU THINK ATMS ARE CONVENIENT ? INTRODUCING MOBILE DEPOSITS AT HUNTINGTON BANK.

and there was a picture of a smartphone with a check on the screen in landscape mode.

* Interestingly, I had tried to deposit one of them at a Huntington ATM in the town to the South of me the other day, and it scanned the front and back TWICE, then rejected it and spit it out. I thought perhaps because it was the smaller format WU instead of the larger format WM ones I had been depositing.

But no problemo at the one by my house tonight. The only difference was, with the previous WM ones it auto-recognized the dollar amount and merely asked me to confirm, whereas with the WU ones, it asked me to type-in the dollar amount, and then said it was accepted.

Yippee-ki-yay !
Looks like I am extremely unlucky with Huntington.. I have tried 3 different ATM machines, and have tried to deposit MG as well as WU.. None of the machines would accept either MO.. Always have to deposit them at the teller.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Follow-up on the mobile deposits at Huntington. Got an amendment to the T&C for the checking account as a PDF in the secure messages section. Per the fine print, you cannot use mobile deposits to deposit "travelers checks, money orders..."

I stopped reading there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.