Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Ralf83
I find that this doesnt work, it wont read the amount of money grams bought at walmart.
WU MOs purchased at Kroger deposit just fine w/USAA.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by cb11
I just discovered, to my delight, that my grocery accepts debit to MO, and my ATM is right next door.
Unfortunately this may not last as the horde descends on groceries for MOs with the recent shutdown of Vanilla GCs at WM.

I fear that the GC->MO game's days are numbered, at least for well-known stores.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM Hub Captive, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat, and other stuff.
Originally Posted by GTFan
Unfortunately this may not last as the horde descends on groceries for MOs with the recent shutdown of Vanilla GCs at WM.

I fear that the GC->MO game's days are numbered, at least for well-known stores.
+1
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by cb11
Much appreciated.

I just discovered, to my delight, that my grocery accepts debit to MO, and my ATM is right next door.
Hit it hard. Kill it. Do it now.

^
Old Jun 21, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thegasguru
+1
+1000. Especially with everyone here posting the grocery stores they go to, so people don't even have to go to the trouble of inquiring at the stores themselves. My prediction is that mr. bowtie and friends will blog a list of alternative places to buy MO, with referral links of course, and then the countdown will really begin. If you live in a large city with maybe 10 places still safe to buy MO, it can handle maybe 2-3 people buying $1k-$2k per day per location. But once 100 (1000?) people start stopping by, no way will it be business as usual.

As an anecdote, I have a CVS I've been going to for months. Somewhat of a remote location. They know me, I know them pretty well at this point. I ask from time to time whether others are buying large $ of VGC/OV. In the past, they told me they'd get a guy from time to time with a stolen CC, but no one purchasing in volume. Lately, someone else started visiting this location to MS. Now the manager is telling them cash only for all newcomers. If we're making money, someone else is losing money...every revenue stream has a saturation point.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by fletch512
+1000. Especially with everyone here posting the grocery stores they go to, so people don't even have to go to the trouble of inquiring at the stores themselves. My prediction is that mr. bowtie and friends will blog a list of alternative places to buy MO, with referral links of course, and then the countdown will really begin. If you live in a large city with maybe 10 places still safe to buy MO, it can handle maybe 2-3 people buying $1k-$2k per day per location. But once 100 (1000?) people start stopping by, no way will it be business as usual.

As an anecdote, I have a CVS I've been going to for months. Somewhat of a remote location. They know me, I know them pretty well at this point. I ask from time to time whether others are buying large $ of VGC/OV. In the past, they told me they'd get a guy from time to time with a stolen CC, but no one purchasing in volume. Lately, someone else started visiting this location to MS. Now the manager is telling them cash only for all newcomers. If we're making money, someone else is losing money...every revenue stream has a saturation point.
Agreed, that is why I converted $10k of OVs to MOs today as I always get a little on edge holding that much even with a Plan B, C and D in place. I will continue but on a smaller scale for now as I'm not sure how long readily available MOs will be around. I did find a store in my area that will cash out prepaid debit cards for $3. Pricier than a MO, but an option depending on what you're trying to accomplish with MS.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat
Does anyone have any data points on PNC bank? I'm wondering how much you guys deposit on a monthly basis. I have 3 accounts with them, so I plan on spreading the deposits evenly across the accounts.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by thadeusd3
Does anyone have any data points on PNC bank? I'm wondering how much you guys deposit on a monthly basis. I have 3 accounts with them, so I plan on spreading the deposits evenly across the accounts.
Data Point:
PNC bank is a bank just like any other, so the answer to your question is, "It depends upon your relationship and history with the bank."
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thadeusd3
that's called "structuring" and will set off a bigger red flag than any amount deposited in one account, possibly even get your account shut down.

Federal law says they must report transactions >10k. Splitting them is a crime, and many banks will close your account if you do it since they can't tell if you're just a points chaser or a drug lord.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by greggarious
that's called "structuring" and will set off a bigger red flag than any amount deposited in one account, possibly even get your account shut down.

Federal law says they must report transactions >10k. Splitting them is a crime, and many banks will close your account if you do it since they can't tell if you're just a points chaser or a drug lord.
Every PNC user has 3 accounts.
https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Bla...Virtual+Wallet
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:32 pm

Appreciate the feedback.

I'm in a small town in the northeast, and my CVS has no one else.

And by the look on the S&S folks when they see my gas rewards balance (double dip, oh yea!) there's very few individuals MS there either.

I'm sure it has it's limit, as do all things, but gotta hit while you can.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:46 pm

Data Point: Tried PNC mobile deposit; initially posted but then received voicemail today from CSR that the mobile deposits for money orders won't go through & should deposit at on-site location.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA silver
Had pleasant phone conversation with a discover banking rep... <180 days 2.5k/day 10k/month mobile deposit limits... >180 days 5k/day 25k/month
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Originally Posted by wmonty67
Had pleasant phone conversation with a discover banking rep... <180 days 2.5k/day 10k/month mobile deposit limits... >180 days 5k/day 25k/month
Their photo deposit seems very touchy your they don't like multiple deposits of the same type of MO.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by wmonty67
Thanks for sharing! Now I'm less apprehensive to go above 5K/month. ^

Originally Posted by Fuerza
Their photo deposit seems very touchy your they don't like multiple deposits of the same type of MO.
No problems for me, but I only use WU with them. Usually do 2 in a row. Are you using only WU?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.