Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing GC at Rite Aid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
In the age of POS authorization, there's absolutely no reason for a cashier to call a card issuer. I can't believe that RA corporate policy would empower a cashier to do this, regardless of what item is being purchased.

If a cashier did this for ANY type of purchase I made (MS or otherwise) I'd think about contacting a district manager to clarify their policy on when is it appropriate to call your card issuer.
It happened to me at OD buying 10x500 VR way back. I refused the CSR (CC fraud dept.) to answer any ID questions on phone in a public place. She said we need to verify you. I said I have DL and cashier can verify my ID with the pic, she asked me to give back the phone to cashier and asked her to verify with my ID and run the charge.
I think because the cashier at rite aid got the scolding she will not do it again to anybody, she learned a lesson! corpotate should have trained her. Hope she will not repeat
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
There was no invasion of privacy. Your credit card company has the right to know what you purchase. Given that most credit cards have terms and conditions that differentiate between gift cards and, say, toilet paper, for the purposes of giving rewards and charging interest and fees, you have no legitimate expectation that what you purchase is kept a secret from your CC company. Your HIPAA example does not work; it would be a very specific exemption.
Yes the T&C clearly states that. It is the CC company's job to decide, not her. Why doesnt thr hipaa law applicable in this matter? Is it far fetched for someone to buy expensive medicine and have her call for the same reason? She doesn't even have to be specific either, I believe her simply mentioning that im buying medication would be violating my hipaa rights.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UATravler577
You're committing a basic fallacy..

Also, try to look at this type of situation from the cashier's perspective. The average Walgreens/Rite-Aid/CVS employee receives only a few days training (at best) before being assigned to the floor/register. I'm sure prepaid cards and spending limits are not at the top of the list in their training manuals. Chances are that the employee was simply unfamiliar with the situation. Perhaps she even heard about or read some internal memo about money laundering and ID theft.

If in doubt, perhaps request to speak to the manager or supervisor on duty if you disagree with an employees actions.
100% correct. Most are given less than 10 mins training on gift cards, at some stores, not at all, and only when someone actually buys one.

Originally Posted by UATravler577
Several months ago was purchasing 5x $200 Visa gift cards at a local office supply store when the employee (a new hire) asked to see my drivers license after I gave him my credit card. I casually handed it to him assuming he just wanted a photo ID to match the name and signature. Out of nowhere he processed to copy down my drivers license and address onto a sticky note! When asked what he was doing he stated (with a very smug facade) that he was taking down my informaiton to prevent fraud.

I immediately (but politely) asked to speak to a supervisor. The manager came over and after I explained the situation told the employee to go wait for him in his office. The manager then apologized, completed the transaction, gave me the sticky note along with his business card and told me to contact him directly If I ever have any more issues. I heard a few days later that the employee no longer worked for the store..

A simple case of an employee not handling the situation correctly after not being familiar with the policy.
Great way of handling it.

Originally Posted by vinhboy
What the hell are you guys talking about. No one here is advocating being rude to the employees. Yes always be respectful to them, take what you can get, and smile.

But this situation is NOT about that. It's about the fact that the manager called the OP's credit card company WITHOUT his CONSENT or INFORMING him she would do so.

He has NOT made the purchase yet.

This situation could have simply been avoided if she got his permission to call his credit card company to verify. At which point he can politely decline or agrees to it. Whatever he does after that is another story.
Give you a scenario...

Every few days we would get calls from PD to be on look out for people with stolen cards, or someone suspected of. If we had any doubts, we were instructed to call bank.

Unfortunately yes, in this case, the procedure would of been to...
1. Have cashier ask for ID for the credit card. If no ID, or refused, we would call bank to verify.

Seems she skipped one.

So question for the OP, how much in Gift Cards did you attempt to buy that brought this up?

I can tell you from experience, we very seldom had people buy gift cards. The ones that did on a regular basis, paid in cash, were typically (here in north east) spanish or african american.

If I was a cashier and someone came into my store looking to buy $1k or more of prepaid cards... and whipped out a rewards card, an Amex Platinum, or something else... automatically the radar goes up for fraud. Ask for ID immediately.

Yes, right now with more prepaid cards it is more common, however from day 1, cashiers are taught to be on look out for stolen cards.

Guess what, because if that card was stolen, it is the store that got stuck holding the back, not the customer or the thief.

That is why the posts here are golden rules. Always be polite, de-esculate immediately from first interaction any fears cashier may have that you are trying to scam something, and always be polite.

In 9 out of 10 times that when I worked at Staples we had someone argue after asking for ID or verification, they were actually stolen cards. In some cases, we stalled them long enough for cops to come. The moment a customer got irate with a cashier, manager called the police (in cases where it was about identity verification, or card approvals).

So yes, it does suck that it happened to the OP... but... look at it from the eyes of a common person, not the .5% who really milks the rewards system with MS.

To most... they can't justify buying a prepaid unless you are cleaning money, or hiding money.

Store gift cards, sure.... but $500 and up? lol. Who are we kidding?

That is why, much like getting pulled over... you want to be as LEAST Memorable as you can.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
I'm still not sure what the store employee could accomplish by calling the CC company.
If the card hasn't been reported stolen, the charge will go through whether it's used by the rightful owner or a crook. And if it is reported stolen, it will not go through.

They should simply deny the service/sale if a buyer is suspicious.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by f0xx
Nothing to see here.

OP is an ....
Treated employees like ....
OP won't be MS'ing there any more.
....And others who were doing their MS at those RAs.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyertalk77
I'm still not sure what the store employee could accomplish by calling the CC company.
If the card hasn't been reported stolen, the charge will go through whether it's used by the rightful owner or a crook. And if it is reported stolen, it will not go through.

They should simply deny the service/sale if a buyer is suspicious.
sometimes the terminals get a message to call 1800 -- for verbal authorization, because the terminal malfunctioning or the charge is too high.
she called without running the charge. Cashiers should not be required/eager to be crime prevention agents!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by goblue77
Yes the T&C clearly states that. It is the CC company's job to decide, not her. Why doesnt thr hipaa law applicable in this matter? Is it far fetched for someone to buy expensive medicine and have her call for the same reason? She doesn't even have to be specific either, I believe her simply mentioning that im buying medication would be violating my hipaa rights.

HIPAA is irrelevant because you weren't by anything medically related. The counterfactual of what the cashier would have done had you in fact bought $10k of medicine is just speculation.

It doesn't matter whose "job" it is; the fact is that in this case the CC company had every right to know what you purchased and therefore the cashier wasn't sharing privileged information.

The fact that you were inconvenienced and your future MS threatened does not necessarily mean the employee did anything wrong. As a general rule, when I only hear one side of the story and it makes the narrator look bad, I assume that hearing the other side of the story would only make the first person look worse.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:36 am

Doesn't HIPAA privacy rules have exceptions regarding payment?

Also, reading this thread brings up a question I have - is it illegal for the store to write down your DL and address? Or is it not "store policy"? I have read various threads where someone reported that this information was written down, so I was wondering if someone clarify it for me here. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2014, 7:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by brito11
Also, reading this thread brings up a question I have - is it illegal for the store to write down your DL and address? Or is it not "store policy"? I have read various threads where someone reported that this information was written down, so I was wondering if someone clarify it for me here. Thanks!
No, it is not illegal to do so, although it has to be with the proper intent. For example, if you remember when people wrote checks, often stores would take down your driver's license number on the check. This was to make sure that they would get their money due to it being a negotiable instrument. That way, if your check bounced, they would have a way to get ahold of you.

Doesn't HIPAA privacy rules have exceptions regarding payment?
It's privacy regarding your medical records/history/etc. It sets limits on disclosures to protect the patient by requiring the patient's authorization for various things. It has to do with privacy of health condition/records/etc though, so not really at issue here.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:25 am

my wife just got a job at Rite Aid and all of their training materials say that anyone purchasing large visa cards is automatically a money launderer and to call the police and she has seen the manager already do it.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by quikie
my wife just got a job at Rite Aid and all of their training materials say that anyone purchasing large visa cards is automatically a money launderer and to call the police and she has seen the manager already do it.
Manager will soon be gone!

Those who use Credit card to purchase, cannot be 'Money Launderers' because they use no 'cash' no money to laundry may be 'credit Launderer?' that is so funny.....
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:45 am

I agree with you but this is corporate training materials.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:30 am

my wife just got a job at Rite Aid and all of their training materials say that anyone purchasing large visa cards 'Cash' is automatically a money launderer and to call the police and she has seen the manager already do it.
I think there is something taken out of context in the manual or wife did not read/understand right, a word 'cash' may be missing somewhere. However I think whoever wrote that statement did not go to a Law School.

I think many cashiers and the posters here do not understand that purchases with a credit card cannot be 'money laundry' for 'money laundry' crime or accusation the purchase must be with '$, green, cash' and not a cash equivalent
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It doesn't seem to be a policy that would stand up anywhere... even in court.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:30 pm

RA cashiers leave goblue77 alone!

Originally Posted by goblue77
I felt wronged...She disrepected me....My privacy was invaded...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.