Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing GC at Rite Aid

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:01 pm

OP, what were you exactly hoping to accomplish by yelling at the manager? Maybe, as you said, you "lost it," but in this game you have to keep your cool. Yelling is belittling, belittling leads to being blacklisted eventually.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
OP should be lucky they didn't call the red & blue on him.
If this was wally world... He'd be talking to some officers. lol
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:04 pm

At first I was going to side with the OP but after reading more responses, I have to say that I agree with the other posters in that the OP was in the wrong here. The OP should not have lashed out at the RA Staff especially the "manager". What really drove it home was that you kept pressing the issue and proceeded to talk to her superior instead of just letting it go. You could have rose grave suspicion from her superior and "store manager" to call the cops on you. It gives a horrible impression to people trying to buy prepaid GC's in the future.

I understand you have a right to be upset but at the same time..my goodness you are trying to buy $10K and to me that warrants at least a DL ID and CC check. When you said that RA doesn't do an ID check that is a huge risk on RA's part. I think the "manager" had a right to be suspicious. I don't know if I agree "the manager" should have called the CC on your behalf but maybe if you offered to call them in front of the "manager".
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:16 pm

You're committing a basic fallacy..

The trick is to keep your composure and understanding in these often tense situations. I'm sure looking back now you would agree that the situation could have been handled differently.

Also, try to look at this type of situation from the cashier's perspective. The average Walgreens/Rite-Aid/CVS employee receives only a few days training (at best) before being assigned to the floor/register. I'm sure prepaid cards and spending limits are not at the top of the list in their training manuals. Chances are that the employee was simply unfamiliar with the situation. Perhaps she even heard about or read some internal memo about money laundering and ID theft.

If in doubt, perhaps request to speak to the manager or supervisor on duty if you disagree with an employees actions.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:30 pm

Several months ago was purchasing 5x $200 Visa gift cards at a local office supply store when the employee (a new hire) asked to see my drivers license after I gave him my credit card. I casually handed it to him assuming he just wanted a photo ID to match the name and signature. Out of nowhere he processed to copy down my drivers license and address onto a sticky note! When asked what he was doing he stated (with a very smug facade) that he was taking down my informaiton to prevent fraud.

I immediately (but politely) asked to speak to a supervisor. The manager came over and after I explained the situation, the manager told the employee to go wait for him in his office. The manager then apologized, completed the transaction, gave me the sticky note along with his business card and told me to contact him directly If I ever have any more issues. I heard a few days later that the employee no longer worked for the store..

A simple case of an employee not handling the situation correctly after not being familiar with the policy.

Last edited by UATravler577; Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by UATravler577
I explained the situation told the employee to go wait for him in his office. . .I heard a few days later that the employee no longer worked for the store..
Do people really talk like this? Sure, the clerk shouldn't have written down your ID information, but to ask the employee to go wait in someone else's office just sounds so self-important and smug. I *might* have asked to speak to a manager (though I probably would have just let it go), but I wouldn't have asked an employee to go away and wait in his manager's office--seems that would be the manager's call, no?

I agree: be nice, honest when questioned, stay off the radar, and don't be a jerk. I think this is a good life philosophy, in general, but it's also a good way to be a long-term manufactured spender.

Last edited by CMHFlyerOH; Jan 22, 2014 at 7:55 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
1. You are fortunate to have a Rite-Aid that takes credit cards.
2. You were wrong to yell at the manager. It accomplishes nothing but trouble for you. And possibly for us. There is no indication that she wasn't trying to do anything but do her job to the best of her ability.
3. The phone call probably won't affect you at all.
4. See #2 again. You've already made a spectacle of yourself to 3 rite-aid employees. Why not call headquarters and lodge a complaint about them making it difficult for you to purchase large amounts of vanilla gift cards on a credit card.
1. Nah, I don't feel that way. If it's not RA, I would buy else where. Does not make a difference to me. Their policy is more generous than others. That's all.
2. I felt wronged. She did nothing to confer with me first. She disrepected me when she suspected me of wrongdoing by calling. Why not try to run the card first and see if the purchase goes through? If fraud alert hits and the transaction is declined, I can simply clear it up.
3. I hope so.

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
You're lucky enough to find a RA to let you buy that much. People at my local stores ask for mgr approval if i try $0.5K.
Sorry that your local RA is uptight, but at least they don't invade your privacy by calling the CC company.

Originally Posted by balima
Not to be a know it all, but all of you are fairly new. These things have been around a long time. They come, they go. But, calling attention to yourself and what you are doing, Never, I repeat NEVER works out well.
Well, I know this. you catch more bees with honey. However, I felt defensive because I felt she suspected fraud. And gave me a BS reason for her calling. If decline of transaction was her priority, why not just run the card first. If the transaction doesn't go through, I'm not gonna get mad at them. I would simply make a call myself to my CC.

Originally Posted by maksimfa
I can tell you without a doubt, as a (former) retail employee...(and head cashier).

In cases where we suspect fraud, we can ask for id, we can call the police, police do ask to hold credit card.

Simple way of avoiding it, we can call the credit card to verify if it will go through. Think back to the days of swiping/taking imprint of card.

Purchases already can be sent to the issuer, so there WAS NO invasion of privacy. You want privacy... pay with cash.

Yes, sorry you had a phone call, but I don't think you had anything to be pissed off about. You owe them an apology, hate to say it.

I guarantee, right now there was a report made internally, and at least the regional manager is looking at this occurrence, as to then why they allowed you to buy with a credit card in the first place.

I would not be surprised if that location has signs plastered "Cash only" in the next few days.

Particularly with buying gift cards and prepaid cards, and other cash equivalents with plastic... if you do not get your way... do not be memorable. Say thank you, have a good day, move on, try again.

My first job at staples... we had those guys who always bent the rules (multiple coupons, gift cards, buy returns, etc).. unless they were dicks, we would typically let it slide... if you were rude or made a spectacle... we made sure to call all the 5 other stores in the region and let them know about you.
I've been on the other side as well. I get what you're saying. My stand by my point still. If it was the norm to make a call to my CC every time I made purchases, I wouldn't have even blinked.

Originally Posted by cashback
So instead of having 2 RA's to buy from, you have 1.

And when you yell at them, 0.
I know, I know.

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
What is True then ?
Read the post. VGC.

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
OP, you will find no love here.

Clerks at RA work hard for peanuts and have no idea about exotic hobbies like MS.

Count your lucky stars.
Not looking for love. just sharing my experience. I guess I'm the only who had to whom this happened. when I first started reading FT, I saw a similar post somewhere. I just can't find it.

Originally Posted by cashback
Yes there is. They have shown me the official guidance sheet for limits of prepaid cards. And its the same sheet at all 4 RAs I have here. I can only assume its for them all. Whether they follow it or not is YMMV.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by tuphat
In the age of POS authorization, there's absolutely no reason for a cashier to call a card issuer. I can't believe that RA corporate policy would empower a cashier to do this, regardless of what item is being purchased.

If a cashier did this for ANY type of purchase I made (MS or otherwise) I'd think about contacting a district manager to clarify their policy on when is it appropriate to call your card issuer.
My sentiments exactly.

Originally Posted by f0xx
Nothing to see here.

OP is an ....
Treated employees like ....
OP won't be MS'ing there any more.
Actually, as I was leaving, things were back to civility. They asked to see them if I need help next time i'm in the store. I plan on going back. It's not like I stole something from them.

Originally Posted by itchyfeet123
Everyone, even store employees, even if they F*%$ up, are entitled to basic respect. There's a way to address the issue without being a dick. The OP says s/he kept up his/her even as the employee was apologizing.
I agree to the bold sentence to a degree. My privacy was invaded when she shared information she had no right to share with someone else. I'm sure she knew she f'd up and therefore she continued to apologize. Tell me how you'd react if same thing happens to you. You'd just smile and say "okay, have a nice day?" Really?

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
OP, what were you exactly hoping to accomplish by yelling at the manager? Maybe, as you said, you "lost it," but in this game you have to keep your cool. Yelling is belittling, belittling leads to being blacklisted eventually.
Well? That it's not okay to just call someone's CC without that person's permission. If you suspect fraud for any reason, call the cops. Again, I agree with you on the bold sentence, however, much more was at stake. My privacy and integrity. You wouldn't stand up for that?

Originally Posted by f0xx
OP should be lucky they didn't call the red & blue on him.
If this was wally world... He'd be talking to some officers. lol
As I stated in the original post, I wish they had called the cops rather than my CC. What do I have to worry about with the red and blue? That I have a valid ID and I'm using my own CC to buy a couple(i was buying only a fifth of their limit) of GCs.

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
At first I was going to side with the OP but after reading more responses, I have to say that I agree with the other posters in that the OP was in the wrong here. The OP should not have lashed out at the RA Staff especially the "manager". What really drove it home was that you kept pressing the issue and proceeded to talk to her superior instead of just letting it go. You could have rose grave suspicion from her superior and "store manager" to call the cops on you. It gives a horrible impression to people trying to buy prepaid GC's in the future.

I understand you have a right to be upset but at the same time..my goodness you are trying to buy $10K and to me that warrants at least a DL ID and CC check. When you said that RA doesn't do an ID check that is a huge risk on RA's part. I think the "manager" had a right to be suspicious. I don't know if I agree "the manager" should have called the CC on your behalf but maybe if you offered to call them in front of the "manager".
I'm not looking for people to "side" with me. Hope this matter helps more than detracts from MSing. Again, whether I'm purchasing $1, $1k or $10k, I should have been treated the same way. If my card gets declined because I don't have enough credit, then it's not their problem. It's my problem. I didn't want to post the actual amount, but I only purchased a fifth of the max.

Originally Posted by vinhboy
They simply could have denied him service and let him leave, or speak with the supervisor. I am sure the OP wouldn't have blown up if that happened. But these are extenuating circumstances.
I only wish they did just that.

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
ya u dun goofed. please do not yell at the employees. it makes it harder for us nice people, who are then viewed as "one of those rude gc buyers". ultimately, policies change for all of us thanks to your rudeness.
Ok. I guess it's okay for cashiers that work RAs/CVSs to yell at their customers "cash only!" because we're bunch of MSers(or better yet moneylaunderers). Yes, I've had that happen. Who the f$#@ are they? Am I impinging on their rights or privacy? You'd think I asked them to steal merchandise for me. Of course I don't want to cause trouble for THEM for selling me this stuff, but if they are wrong in their knowledge of their own company's policy, why can't we correct them?

Originally Posted by BarnyardRomeo
Take whatever the clerk offers you, smile and be nice. You may not like a 1k limit, or ID scans or whatever, but deal with it. If you do not like what you got, then tell the clerk that you plan to do more business in the future such as moving prescriptions over. Ask the clerk to remember you so that you can build a relationship of trust and previous phone calls, limits, will not be necessary after trust is established. Always smile.
Great advice. However, I believe that you should speak up if you were wronged or if there was an error. I have a few "go-to" stores that I've established this for many months. I hope that this store will be one of them.

Appreciate the FT input(positive or negative). I'm trying to make less trips and be more efficient and do more. It's not easy. I just hope that this is just a hiccup. Will let you all know if anything adverse comes of it. TY

Last edited by goblue77; Jan 22, 2014 at 7:58 pm
Old Jan 22, 2014, 7:57 pm

What the hell are you guys talking about. No one here is advocating being rude to the employees. Yes always be respectful to them, take what you can get, and smile.

But this situation is NOT about that. It's about the fact that the manager called the OP's credit card company WITHOUT his CONSENT or INFORMING him she would do so.

He has NOT made the purchase yet.

This situation could have simply been avoided if she got his permission to call his credit card company to verify. At which point he can politely decline or agrees to it. Whatever he does after that is another story.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

You're committing a basic fallacy..

The trick is to keep your composure and understanding in these often tense situations. I'm sure looking back now you would agree that the situation could have been handled differently.

Also, try to look at this type of situation from the cashier's perspective. The average Walgreens/Rite-Aid/CVS employee receives only a few days training (at best) before being assigned to the floor/register. I'm sure prepaid cards and spending limits are not at the top of the list in their training manuals. Chances are that the employee was simply unfamiliar with the situation. Perhaps she even heard about or read some internal memo about money laundering and ID theft.

If in doubt, perhaps request to speak to the manager or supervisor on duty if you disagree with an employees actions.
Yes I wish I had done things differently. I wish I had questioned why she was calling my CC and tell her I do not give her permission to do so. When was the last time a cashier called your CC regarding a purchase? As it is none of anyone's business what I am purchasing(think about all the personal stuff you can buy at a pharmacy), let alone GCs. She boldly declared what I was buying(which was wrong, she said "prepaid"s not GCs, if that makes a difference) and how much of it.

The cashier on duty told me "cash only" when I asked nicely. And scoffed(as if it's her word or the highway) when I asked to speak to the manager. I definitely saw the lack of training from the very beginning. I asked nicely to see the manager again, then she begrudgingly obliged. The "manager", who is more like a supervisor, was the one who called after telling me it was ok to purchase GCs with CC. I handed her my CC and ID. Never expected her to call my CC.

Several months ago was purchasing 5x $200 Visa gift cards at a local office supply store when the employee (a new hire) asked to see my drivers license after I gave him my credit card. I casually handed it to him assuming he just wanted a photo ID to match the name and signature. Out of nowhere he processed to copy down my drivers license and address onto a sticky note! When asked what he was doing he stated (with a very smug facade) that he was taking down my informaiton to prevent fraud.

I immediately (but politely) asked to speak to a supervisor. The manager came over and after I explained the situation told the employee to go wait for him in his office. The manager then apologized, completed the transaction, gave me the sticky note along with his business card and told me to contact him directly If I ever have any more issues. I heard a few days later that the employee no longer worked for the store..

A simple case of an employee not handling the situation correctly after not being familiar with the policy.
I had a lady at a grocery store who wrote down my info on my ID(their policy which I am comfortable with) and then my CC number. I was dumbfounded and asked her to rip it off and give to me. Then, it hit her what she was doing. She and I get along just fine now. It's too bad what happened to that cashier.

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
I agree: be nice, honest when questioned, stay off the radar, and don't be a jerk. I think this is a good life philosophy, in general, but it's also a good way to be a long-term manufactured spender.
Yeah, I failed at the jerk part. But I don't regret defending my rights. I still hope I can be LTMSer.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

What the hell are you guys talking about. No one here is advocating being rude to the employees. Yes always be respectful to them, take what you can get, and smile.

But this situation is NOT about that. It's about the fact that the manager called the OP's credit card company WITHOUT his CONSENT or INFORMING him she would do so.

He has NOT made the purchase yet.

This situation could have simply been avoided if she got his permission to call his credit card company to verify. At which point he can politely decline or agrees to it. Whatever he does after that is another story.
It's over and done with. Nothing I can do at this point. I do hope to return without any trouble since they "know" me now. How can they forget, right? Hope to be smilin' for a long time...
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:19 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Can you point to anything that would require a merchant to obtain consent before calling a credit card company? Perhaps a law, a card network policy, something in OP's contract with the issuer, or anything else?

Rite Aid did not give the credit card company any confidential information. The fact that OP was trying to buy gift cards is not covered by any sort of privacy laws. It is public knowledge, readily available to anyone who happened to be in the store. If I wanted to, I could go to the store and take pictures of people buying gift cards at the checkout and post them on the internet with their names, and I wouldn't be doing anything illegal.

I am just speculating, but perhaps RA's acquiring bank might charge them for declined transactions, especially big ones?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Do people really talk like this? Sure, the clerk shouldn't have written down your ID information, but to ask the employee to go wait in someone else's office just sounds so self-important and smug. I *might* have asked to speak to a manager (though I probably would have just let it go), but I wouldn't have asked an employee to go away and wait in his manager's office--seems that would be the manager's call, no?

Oops.. I mean to say that "The manager told the employee to wait for him in his office" and not that I told the employee to wait for the manager in his office. Hopefully that makes sense.. funny how forgetting a word or two can change the whole context!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:33 pm

There was no invasion of privacy. Your credit card company has the right to know what you purchase. Given that most credit cards have terms and conditions that differentiate between gift cards and, say, toilet paper, for the purposes of giving rewards and charging interest and fees, you have no legitimate expectation that what you purchase is kept a secret from your CC company. Your HIPAA example does not work; it would be a very specific exemption.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Can you point to anything that would require a merchant to obtain consent before calling a credit card company? Perhaps a law, a card network policy, something in OP's contract with the issuer, or anything else?

Rite Aid did not give the credit card company any confidential information. The fact that OP was trying to buy gift cards is not covered by any sort of privacy laws. It is public knowledge, readily available to anyone who happened to be in the store. If I wanted to, I could go to the store and take pictures of people buying gift cards at the checkout and post them on the internet with their names, and I wouldn't be doing anything illegal.

I am just speculating, but perhaps RA's acquiring bank might charge them for declined transactions, especially big ones?
Yeah, im no lawyer. Do not know any laws that prohibit them from calling. But sharing any information(if it was anything health related, would clearly be a violation of hipaa) about where I am and what im purchasing would be construed as invasion of my privacy. And what I buy at RA would be a private matter, whether it'd be a stick of gum or cigs. I would think they would call the cops for taking pictures of ppl making purchases, making them feel uncomfortable. Maybe for trespassing at the least.

ive made far larger purchases numerous times at RAs and never once did they call the cc.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by goblue77
Yeah, im no lawyer. Do not know any laws that prohibit them from calling. But sharing any information(if it was anything health related, would clearly be a violation of hipaa) about where I am and what im purchasing would be construed as invasion of my privacy.
Nothing can arbitrarily be "construed" as an invasion of privacy. Either there is a law or policy against it or there isn't.

I'm not an expert on HIPAA, but it clearly isn't relevant here.

Originally Posted by goblue77
And what I buy at RA would be a private matter, whether it'd be a stick of gum or cigs. I would think they would call the cops for taking pictures of ppl making purchases, making them feel uncomfortable. Maybe for trespassing at the least.
If you were taking pictures, RA could certainly ask you to stop and/or leave. RA is private property, so they have the right to kick anyone off at any time. If you refused then they could call the cops for trespassing. But "making someone feel uncomfortable" is not a crime, and the cops can't do anything about it unless there is another crime taking place alongside, like trespassing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.