FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1544106-t-mobile-visa-prepaid-bluebird-competitor-ms-may-not-load-w-cc.html)

heyeaglefn May 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22890027)
you still don't get it. how do they know they don't want me specifically? how do they tell the difference between me buying an ac unit vs me buying a MO or doing a bp and the other person who buys an ac unit and expensive car repairs but no bp or MO? we each spent 3k retail transaction.

Believe it or not, some of these companies are passing individual items to the CC companies. My grocery store passing GC information to Amex because Amex asked me why I am buying all these Gift Cards as they could see the transactions.

Not sure if WM is doing that or not, probably not for this card but maybe for others.

caljr May 19, 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by kcblakely (Post 22889708)
The only worthwhile comment thus far is this: "...there are zero reports of debit spend warnings, but plenty of bp related. "

Are there any reports of shutdowns or warnings based on debit spends?

none that i have seen. seems to be lots of fear of it though.

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn (Post 22890104)
Believe it or not, some of these companies are passing individual items to the CC companies. My grocery store passing GC information to Amex because Amex asked me why I am buying all these Gift Cards as they could see the transactions.

Not sure if WM is doing that or not, probably not for this card but maybe for others.

i believe it and have seen it as well on amex.

craz May 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22890027)
you still don't get it. how do they know they don't want me specifically? how do they tell the difference between me buying an ac unit vs me buying a MO or doing a bp and the other person who buys an ac unit and expensive car repairs but no bp or MO? we each spent 3k retail transaction.

Funny I thought I was posting in English, guess I wasnt. These companys couldnt give a rats a__ what the person is actually getting. They actually dont give 2 hoots what it is that a person is walking out of say WM with, be it a $1000 computer, or lawn furniture, a BP, an MO, 1000 bottles of a $1 bottle of water. They simply dont want this kind of spending in its target audience. Their target audience wont go to WM and spend $1000 or anything close to it! And if they do its a 1 off and not a reg occurence day in and day out

Just as Chase has to know a person isnt getting $504.95 worth of gas when they make a purchase at a 7 store. Yet thats how it looks, hows does Chase know you didnt preorder 500 hot dogs? When Chase decides to clamp down they arent fools, nor with how folks are making their purchases at an OS store, all of a sudden everyone needs $10s of $1000s in supplies every month times x cards.

If you still dont get it you never will

raccah May 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Wow there are clearly a few people here with too much time on their hands. I got blocked, and when I called they made it clear as day, these are roughly her words "We want you to use the card fro many small and simple transactions. Sure, you can have the occasional utility bill pay, but for the most part we want gas, grocery, and other retail purchases - that will keep your account open. Otherwise, we will be forced to close your account.

Like craz wrote - they want the 98% people. They are the dempgraphic they are looking for, the unbanked - not us crazies. So, keep the payments and usage to a normal size and hope for the best.

brero May 19, 2014 5:46 pm

So far, I've stayed away from the billpay feature and only done retail BP/MO transactions.

moondog417 May 19, 2014 11:00 pm

I've had mixed success with Vons cashiers allowing CC. Obviously the register still allows it. What's the conventional wisdom when the cashier asks debit or cash and you say debit but use a CC?

ericdabbs May 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by moondog417 (Post 22892490)
I've had mixed success with Vons cashiers allowing CC. Obviously the register still allows it. What's the conventional wisdom when the cashier asks debit or cash and you say debit but use a CC?

Usually its over for me if they have to ask me that. You can try to say debit but use a CC but im not sure on their cashier machine if that can see that you pushed credit on the machine since they have to confirm it OR if you push credit and they push debit on their cashier machine it errors out since there is a mismatch. The best thing to happen is if they don't ask you a darn thing.

cdancer20 May 20, 2014 7:17 am

When I go to Winn-Dixie, I try to hand them the card with the back showing so they don't necessarily look at the cash only part.

I finally got turned away the other day though :-( Cashier asked "Cash or debit". I tried to play dumb and say that I thought I could use credit b/c I had in the past. She went and asked another employee who was like "Yea it says cash only". I knew I was defeated. And what sucked the most was that I had meant to go to the WD that I had 100% success with but went a different way so stopped at the one closest to my house. So then I had to backtrack. Luckily they were only about 5-10 mins apart.

nadball May 20, 2014 9:47 am

Not sure if anyone has discussed this yet, but has anyone tried to use a TMobile card to load into a Bluebird acct at WM?

ericdabbs May 20, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by nadball (Post 22894600)
Not sure if anyone has discussed this yet, but has anyone tried to use a TMobile card to load into a Bluebird acct at WM?

What is there to discuss? You can use your Tmobile card to load your BB account at WM but why would you do that?

22calbr May 20, 2014 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nadball (Post 22894600)

I have. You can load BB/Serve with any debit card with PIN at WM.

nadball May 20, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks. I'll try it out today. I'm doing it so I can use my BB checks to pay rent.

cdancer20 May 20, 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nadball (Post 22895226)
Thanks. I'll try it out today. I'm doing it so I can use my BB checks to pay rent.

Tip. Be very very careful about paying your rent with the checks. Talk to your landlord before doing so as a lot of people have had issues with them. Some places use the info on the check (routing and acct #) to do an ACH for the amount of money but BB does not allow ACH out. Therefore, the transaction will fail. So verify with your landlord when you hand over the check that it must be deposited into the bank directly.

Mata Marta May 20, 2014 12:15 pm

I just got the warning for bill pays to credit cards. What if I originate the ACH from the credit card site? Would this make a difference?

Just to switch gears a little, these are glorified bank accounts offered by a highly regulated financial institution. It seems questionable to me that a bank would shut you down because you don't use your account in a certain manner that brings them fee revenue. They obviously don't like large bill pays to credit cards but I don't think they can limit consumer access because they don't like certain kinds of consumers.

They can limit us based on geography and the banking services they offer, but they can't discriminate against certain consumers based on normal transactions like large balance credit card payments. If they suspect unusual activity they should file a SAR and move on.

Bottom line is that traditional consumer banking services like bill pay to a credit card, regardless of the number and size of transactions, should not be a reason to deny banking services.

ericdabbs May 20, 2014 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mata Marta (Post 22895480)
I just got the warning for bill pays to credit cards. What if I originate the ACH from the credit card site? Would this make a difference?

And how would you initiate an ACH CC payment from the CC site? AFAIK, don't most CC companies only give you the option to add a checking/savings account to pay off your CC? How would you be able to add your Tmobile card information to pay your CC bill off?