FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1544106-t-mobile-visa-prepaid-bluebird-competitor-ms-may-not-load-w-cc.html)

ChuckMango May 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs (Post 22880599)
Just load your funds and don't do BP. Buy MOs or do WM BP and you should be fine. Worse case if you do BP and you are blocked you can just ask Tmobile to unblock it.

I opened a ticket on Tuesday, how long do these folks take to get back to you? They are probably swamped with requests... :p

cdancer20 May 17, 2014 8:13 pm

So since BP is basically a no-no, I wonder how long before they lock down accts with huge grocery store purchases...i.e. my constant $1k-$1.5k purchases (i.e. MO/BP).

rambo May 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Call the number on the back of the card. If it transfers you to a CSR, then you account has been blocked. If it transfers you to the main menu, you are all set.

Originally Posted by krdvg (Post 22880470)
Haven't used the card in a couple months, but have to meet min spend now, is there a way to quickly check if the card is blocked or active? I can login fine online and see 0.40 balance left. Thanks!

caljr May 18, 2014 7:32 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22881668)
So since BP is basically a no-no, I wonder how long before they lock down accts with huge grocery store purchases...i.e. my constant $1k-$1.5k purchases (i.e. MO/BP).

million dollar question for sure...hope we dont find out..i know i have a crappy car that requires lots of expensive repairs at the auto center. i have a ton of needy kids always ranting for expensive computers and electronics..wm sells everything, and i buy everything there..not sure what they could say..

craz May 18, 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22883302)
million dollar question for sure...hope we dont find out..i know i have a crappy car that requires lots of expensive repairs at the auto center. i have a ton of needy kids always ranting for expensive computers and electronics..wm sells everything, and i buy everything there..not sure what they could say..

1- they dont have to saying anything (no different then any bank) and simply close your acct since they dont want you as their customer

2- they can ask you to send in a copy of your receipt that should itemize and spell out exactly what you purchased

3- they arent that dumb Im positive they have their computers set to see certain activity that spells trouble to them and will result in a shut down. which was what happened with MVD even thou folks did some reg small transactions.

caljr May 18, 2014 9:09 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 22883492)
1- they dont have to saying anything (no different then any bank) and simply close your acct since they dont want you as their customer

2- they can ask you to send in a copy of your receipt that should itemize and spell out exactly what you purchased

3- they arent that dumb Im positive they have their computers set to see certain activity that spells trouble to them and will result in a shut down. which was what happened with MVD even thou folks did some reg small transactions.

why would they do any of what you posted above, when all i am doing is what they classify as retail spending?

commdiver May 18, 2014 9:29 am

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22883625)
why would they do any of what you posted above, when all i am doing is what they classify as retail spending?

Normal people do not regularly spend $1,000+ at WM. To them it smells fishy.

caljr May 18, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by commdiver (Post 22883681)

i know there are lots of things that you can buy at, or through wm that cost 1000+. probably thousands of items. go look up the cost of a new generator or 60+ inch led. you can buy an ac unit for more than 2600.

my question is why would tmob be reviewing independent retail debit transactions. any ideas besides smell?

craz May 18, 2014 9:56 am

That , plus if a person reads most of the threads in the MS forum and credit card forum theyd know that some banks have KOed some folks bank accts and not only their CC accts, besides most of the DC issuers KOing accts left & right.

here you are presumed gulity and have to prove yourself innocent. Simply saying I on a reg basis spend $1k-$3k @ WM isnt going to work, since 99.99999999% of people dont ever spend anything like that

caljr, as judge judy says so well, dont pee on my leg and tell me its raining . If you really believe that the folks at all these companys dont know the score youre heading for trouble. The only question is how long will they allow each person to operate. If youre lucky they will unblock your acct and tell you what you were doing is not the intended purpose of the card and if you continue to do it you will be closed down for good. Go to the Credit Card forum and read the thread/s about how Chase simply closed down peoples accts some just their CC accts others both their bank and CC accts

heyeaglefn May 18, 2014 9:58 am

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22883768)
i know there are lots of things that you can buy at, or through wm that cost 1000+. probably thousands of items. go look up the cost of a new generator or 60+ inch led. you can buy an ac unit for more than 2600.

my question is why would tmob be reviewing independent retail debit transactions. any ideas besides smell?

They won't review individual transactions unless you hit some sort of spending limit they setup internally. If you spend 5,000 a month on this card, they may flag it to look at it. That would be the smart thing to do.

EkekoBWI May 18, 2014 10:45 am

Still rolling along for me. I BP ~6k/mo with the occasional light spend thrown in. Multiple Safeways in VA and MD are still good to me with none hardcoded to reject RLs with CCs or AMEX GCs. Never have done MOs. Got caught up in the late April/early May BP delay, but that storm has passed. Other than 1 new, day shift Safeway Manager who insists upon cash, there have been very few bumps in the road.

cdancer20 May 18, 2014 7:46 pm

It's actually quite easy to regularly spend $1000+ at WM. It's a full-stop shop. You can do grocery shopping, clothes shopping, electronics, and car repair all in one place. Now I personally never have b/c I don't have spending that high but I can see it happening. I mean isn't $500/month alone normal grocery shopping for an avg family?

payeco May 18, 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22886041)
It's actually quite easy to regularly spend $1000+ at WM. It's a full-stop shop. You can do grocery shopping, clothes shopping, electronics, and car repair all in one place. Now I personally never have b/c I don't have spending that high but I can see it happening. I mean isn't $500/month alone normal grocery shopping for an avg family?

I agree. A middle class family with 3 or 4 kids could go through $1K+ a month at WM easily if they do all their shopping there. However $1000.70 each month could certainly be suspicious. Add a few random items each time maybe.

commdiver May 19, 2014 4:57 am

Originally Posted by caljr (Post 22883768)

Originally Posted by cdancer20 (Post 22886041)

Originally Posted by payeco (Post 22886603)
I agree. A middle class family with 3 or 4 kids could go through $1K+ a month at WM easily if they do all their shopping there. However $1000.70 each month could certainly be suspicious. Add a few random items each time maybe.

This is all theoretical. Very few people actually spend that amount of money there. Once you move into the middle class, you tend to shop at less ghetto stores.

ericdabbs May 19, 2014 5:10 am

Originally Posted by commdiver (Post 22887518)
This is all theoretical. Very few people actually spend that amount of money there. Once you move into the middle class, you tend to shop at less ghetto stores.

I agree that spending $1000+ at WM every 2 weeks is not the norm. However I strongly disagree that if you are middle class that you suddenly stop shopping at "less ghetto stores" (I presume you mean WM is considered "ghetto stores" in this case).

I am middle class and I still do shopping at WM. To me, if a store (like WM) has an item(s) I need that are priced cheaper than other discount stores, I will go to WM for that item. I am not one of those that boycotts WM because of misc reasons such as employee treatment just to prove a point.