Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2014, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Middle_Seat
From the Cardholder Agreement
- Maximum cash load each day: $999.99 (2x$500 VRs work). Limit resets at 1:00AM EST.
- Maximum loads per day: 4
- Maximum loads per month: 10
- Maximum ATM withdrawals per day: $3000
- Maximum spending per day: $3500
- Maximum monthly load limit: $5000 with VRs. Rolling 30 day period.

Cost of Service
- Initial Purchase fee: FREE
- Monthly Charge: FREE (if U use once every 90 days)

Add Money
- Direct Deposit: FREE
- Cash Reload at Retail Location: Varies by location, up to $4.95
- From Bank Account: FREE
- Check to Card via mobile app. 2% fee for printed payroll checks or government checks. 4% fee for any other check.

Get Cash
- Cash Back at Store: FREE
- From ATM: Allpoint ATMs, $2.50, Non Allpoint ATMs, $2.50
- Over the Counter Withdrawal: $25
- Request Check or One Time ACH: FREE

Spend Money
- Signature: FREE
- PIN: FREE
- Online bill pay: $0.95 per billpay. (Max Bill Pay $2500)

Information
- Automated IVR Access, Live Agent, Online Customer Service, Mobile Text Updates, Emerald Mobile Banking App, Online Statement, Paper statement upon request: FREE
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $1
- ATM Decline: $1
- Monthly Inactivity (after 2 months) $4.95 (Increased Jan. 2015, previously was $2.50 after 3 months.)
- Replacement Card: FREE, if expedited $35.

The card also has a reward feature in the form of cash back offers for certain purchase at certain stores - like AmEx Offers.

You will receive a temporary card right after your are done with your application. You can starting loading that card and use it normally. When the personalized card (if you opt in for it) comes, which will take 2-3 weeks, the card number may be changed and you need to activate the new card again (note that by activating the personalized card, the temporary card will be deactivated automatically). However, the load limit does not reset when you change from the temporary card to the personalized card.

Loads at CVS are hard-coded cash only, and have a $4.95 fee.
Print Wikipost

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Anyone use this card to pay an Amex cc bill today? Looks like Amex shutdown billpay at WM.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:26 pm

Visited one H&R Block in my area the other day and they don't know how to do it without tax prep. Got lucky today with the second office. Same initial response... "do you want a loan?", "are you doing your taxes?". I insisted I just want the card. Lady asked around but the others also didn't know how. But she still invited me to her desk and said she will try.

She had to click on "Emerald Perks" on the desktop to start the process. At the beginning though a dialog box pops up with the message that said something like the Emerald card cannot be issued same day without doing tax prep. That got me worried a little bit since the only two options were something like "STOP and do tax prep" and "Continue". Fortunately she clicked on Continue and started entering my information.
Got my temporary card and also requested a personalized card.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
VR load

Got my card this week. Just wondering if I need to wait for the personalized permanent card to arrive before VR reload can be done?

Thanks
@ORD
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by @ORD
Got my card this week. Just wondering if I need to wait for the personalized permanent card to arrive before VR reload can be done?

Thanks
@ORD
What stops you to try?

It will work.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:35 pm

I got my (temp) emerald card about two weeks ago and I requested for the permanent card at the time I registered. I load VR to the temp card and use it normally.

Yesterday, another card (with different last four digits) showed up on my HR Block account (presumably the permanent card?). Does it mean I will have two cards after the permanent one arrive?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
Originally Posted by pier11
What stops you to try?

It will work.
Once bitten, thrice shy but point taken.

Thanks
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
I got my (temp) emerald card about two weeks ago and I requested for the permanent card at the time I registered. I load VR to the temp card and use it normally.

Yesterday, another card (with different last four digits) showed up on my HR Block account (presumably the permanent card?). Does it mean I will have two cards after the permanent one arrive?
I asked that recently as well. When i attempted to activate the second card (without it in my physical possession), it pops up a warning that activating this card may deactivate prior cards. My guess is it will deactivate the old one and transfer the acct. info to the new card (along with funds), but thats a guess until we try it.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:35 pm

Just got one of these today in the Detroit area. Very easy process. Walked in, asked if I could get the prepaid card and they happily signed me up no questions asked. The lady who signed me up even said that she has the card and loves it. Just finished activating the temporary card online and enrolling in billpay. So far no issues with either. Will attempt my first VR and billpay later today.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Success!

Called 2 offices to see if I can get one but told no way without filing taxes....so I just walked in to one of the offices that I called and the manager which she was so nice told me that she will try.....to her surprise it worked,she was happy that it worked and even thanked me that she was able to do it....she mentioned that they were getting many calls regarding this card lately from customers and other offices ,and after she was able to open a card herself she said she will send emails to the other offices in the area to let them know they can....I asked her if my wife can open one too and she said sure but she has to make an appointment with her since she is the only one who knows the process now...hmm I wonder if referral compensation is in play ,good for her though..... not that I'am complaining...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
I asked that recently as well. When i attempted to activate the second card (without it in my physical possession), it pops up a warning that activating this card may deactivate prior cards. My guess is it will deactivate the old one and transfer the acct. info to the new card (along with funds), but thats a guess until we try it.
From what I have seen, I would agree with this. What I am hoping is that the load limits will reset with the new card so we can do another 10 loads before the 30 day rolling period ends.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Barry2013
From what I have seen, I would agree with this. What I am hoping is that the load limits will reset with the new card so we can do another 10 loads before the 30 day rolling period ends.
That is what I am thinking. I think I will receive my card next week. I will report my experience then.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 6:14 pm

stupid permanent card is taking forever to arrive.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yeshu JP
stupid permanent card is taking forever to arrive.
How will it improve the situation?

I ordered one also, but I'm not sure I care about getting it.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:08 am

The load limits are definitely not per calendar month.
I loaded 5k in January and still can't load more.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by xlax
Anyone use this card to pay an Amex cc bill today? Looks like Amex shutdown billpay at WM.
I would also be interested in knowing this as well

Also, I cannot add the HR Block Routing Number to BB&T. I tried to add the account to Amex as a pay from checking account, but they only take 15 digit account numbers not 16 digit ones. Has anyone contacted Amex to see why this is ?

Last edited by golf7; Feb 2, 2014 at 8:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.