Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

What do I tell the H&R Block folks to allow them to give me an emerald prepaid card?

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 15, 9:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Middle_Seat
Wiki Link
From the Cardholder Agreement
- Maximum cash load each day: $999.99 (2x$500 VRs work). Limit resets at 1:00AM EST.
- Maximum loads per day: 4
- Maximum loads per month: 10
- Maximum ATM withdrawals per day: $3000
- Maximum spending per day: $3500
- Maximum monthly load limit: $5000 with VRs. Rolling 30 day period.

Cost of Service
- Initial Purchase fee: FREE
- Monthly Charge: FREE (if U use once every 90 days)

Add Money
- Direct Deposit: FREE
- Cash Reload at Retail Location: Varies by location, up to $4.95
- From Bank Account: FREE
- Check to Card via mobile app. 2% fee for printed payroll checks or government checks. 4% fee for any other check.

Get Cash
- Cash Back at Store: FREE
- From ATM: Allpoint ATMs, $2.50, Non Allpoint ATMs, $2.50
- Over the Counter Withdrawal: $25
- Request Check or One Time ACH: FREE

Spend Money
- Signature: FREE
- PIN: FREE
- Online bill pay: $0.95 per billpay. (Max Bill Pay $2500)

Information
- Automated IVR Access, Live Agent, Online Customer Service, Mobile Text Updates, Emerald Mobile Banking App, Online Statement, Paper statement upon request: FREE
- ATM Balance Inquiry: $1
- ATM Decline: $1
- Monthly Inactivity (after 2 months) $4.95 (Increased Jan. 2015, previously was $2.50 after 3 months.)
- Replacement Card: FREE, if expedited $35.

The card also has a reward feature in the form of cash back offers for certain purchase at certain stores - like AmEx Offers.

You will receive a temporary card right after your are done with your application. You can starting loading that card and use it normally. When the personalized card (if you opt in for it) comes, which will take 2-3 weeks, the card number may be changed and you need to activate the new card again (note that by activating the personalized card, the temporary card will be deactivated automatically). However, the load limit does not reset when you change from the temporary card to the personalized card.

Loads at CVS are hard-coded cash only, and have a $4.95 fee.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 14, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

to allow them to give me a emerald prepaid.

Can I say ill do my taxes with them and then back out later? How long of an ordeal would I be getting myself into?
Old Jan 19, 14, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, VS Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by drdrew450 View Post
to allow them to give me a emerald prepaid.

Can I say ill do my taxes with them and then back out later? How long of an ordeal would I be getting myself into?
I went last year and they told me I had to have my refund put on the Emerald card. Given that I wasn't getting a refund it died there, but that seemed to be the key.

I did not specifically ask if HR had to prepare my taxes, but this was implied.
Old Jan 19, 14, 10:22 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
They wanted my SNN, given verbally in an open office.

NO thanks...
Old Jan 20, 14, 6:19 am

It is a YMMV thing. I did not have to give them any story. I just said that I wanted an Emerald card. They did ask if I was doing my taxes and all I said was not yet. My application was not long at all, though I did have to give my SSN. I suppose I could have written it down for her, but the office was empty - just me, her, and one other woman working. The woman had never done it before and she had to call another office to find out how to do it.

I did go around lunch time and the place was empty. I do think that they wanted to match my address on my license to another piece of identification like a utility bill which I did have with me, but this lady was a little confused on that part.

I think I was just lucky, but that was my experience.
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:32 am

What does the language below mean? I found it in the "Offer Details and Disclosures" section:

"If approved, you could be eligible for a credit limit between $350 and $1,000."

From reading the rest of the info on this card, it seems you can withdraw a lot more than that each day via an ATM.
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver View Post
What does the language below mean? I found it in the "Offer Details and Disclosures" section:

"If approved, you could be eligible for a credit limit between $350 and $1,000."

From reading the rest of the info on this card, it seems you can withdraw a lot more than that each day via an ATM.
Pretty sure thats for the Emerald Advance, a line of credit. It looks like the Disclosures are the same for the Emerald Advance and Emerald Prepaid.
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:54 am

Of they are asking you for W2's, etc., they are in the wrong application screen. Emerald Advance is at the top of the startup menu on the left of their screen. Emerald Card is a little further down.

The Emarld Card only takes a drivers license and your SSN. The gal I worked with me asked me to key in my SSN and birthdate myself.

It took about 10 minutes.
Old Jan 20, 14, 7:29 pm

Only need SSN & DL, declined "Emerald advance" (loan), was asked what I'm going to fund the card, I told him "don't know yet", no other questions asked.
Old Jan 20, 14, 7:31 pm

I wrote down mine on a piece of paper and immediately torn it off after showing to him.

Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
They wanted my SNN, given verbally in an open office.

NO thanks...
Old Jan 22, 14, 9:57 pm

I tried to get an Emerald card, and after entering my name/SSN/birthdate, their computer said something like "Based on this information we are unable to approve this application". Anyone know a way around that?

I've never used H&R Block to file my taxes (other than using their at-home software). For the people who successfully got Emerald cards, did you file your taxes at an H&R Block office in a previous year (i.e., was your info already in their system)?

Or it's possible that their identify verification system is crappy and wasn't able to verify my identify based on name/SSN. (About 10% of the times I try to open a bank account, I run into problems like that; one issue I know of is ChexSystems says my SSN was issued several years after it became available for issuance, which doesn't indicate a problem (maybe fewer people than average were born in that state during those years?), but some banks' verification systems appear to not handle that well; if it's a real bank account they usually have other ways of verifying identity, but this H&R Block system appears to be pretty automated and inflexible.)

Or there's a small chance that they recently changed their system to only give cards to people who are putting a tax refund on it when filing at H&R Block.
Old Jan 22, 14, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbft77 View Post
I tried to get an Emerald card, and after entering my name/SSN/birthdate, their computer said something like "Based on this information we are unable to approve this application". Anyone know a way around that?
Did you already e-file?
Old Jan 22, 14, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by scottybweyy View Post
Did you already e-file?
Nope, I'm not using H&R Block to file my taxes (and I have not filed my taxes any other way yet either). Some people have reported being able to get the Emerald card without filing their taxes (and the person I talked to at the H&R Block office, and the computer, didn't say anything about needing to file my taxes to get the card; their phone support at 866-353-1266 said I needed to file my taxes first, but I assume they don't know what they're talking about).
Old Jan 23, 14, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by sbft77 View Post
did you file your taxes at an H&R Block office in a previous year (i.e., was your info already in their system)?
No. Nay. Never.
Old Jan 23, 14, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
I went to an H&R Block last night to try to get a card, however the branch manager said that they only knew how to get one after doing someone's taxes. Basically they said that you had to bring in your W-2s and at the end of filling out your taxes in their software there was a button they could push to select the option to put the refund on the Emerald Prepaid. I'll probably try a few different branches to see if I get a more positive result.
Old Jan 23, 14, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Similarly SOL

Originally Posted by pointsaddict3326 View Post
I went to an H&R Block last night to try to get a card, however the branch manager said that they only knew how to get one after doing someone's taxes. Basically they said that you had to bring in your W-2s and at the end of filling out your taxes in their software there was a button they could push to select the option to put the refund on the Emerald Prepaid. I'll probably try a few different branches to see if I get a more positive result.
I tried this afternoon to get the card but struck out. A very helpful "Master Tax Advisor" did everything she could, but didn't know how to do it without doing the tax returns or the loan (thanks, but no thanks). When she called the HRB help line, they said it couldn't be done. Same story from her regional manager. She then tried to do it through Emerald Perks, but after completing several steps, it would not let us proceed. I'm wondering if they have changed the process.

sbft77, tonyflyer, AnInfrequentFlyer - did you get your cards recently? What part of the country are you in? Any suggestions?

xlax

Search this Thread
Search Engine: